Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mike4311

Chicken pox scar- EXCISION treatment(Pic-Result POSTED)

So i have a chicken pox scar on the on my forehead that looks like this:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2521/1002964c.jpg

It is depressed and it has been there for more than 10 years.

I HATE IT and not to mention it makes me look indian, which i am not.

I've contacted my derma and plastic surgeon before and decided to go with the derma cuz i trust him more(my plastic surgeon is a straight up money eater).

I'm following his idea and decided to perform excision on the scar tomorrow(12/31/2010).

he's charging $200(Plastic Surgeon was gonna charge $350).

If anyone is interested, i can keep posting and let everyone know the results.

But thats not why i started this post,

I wanted to hear everyone's openion and experience's on this treatment.

Also does anyone have any tips to make the treatment heal well and making the new scar look better/less noticeable ?

EDIT: Current results are posted below (updated Feb 5, 2011)

Before: http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/6462/75...20684815833.jpg (haha)

Before: http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2521/1002964c.jpg

After 14 days of excision(long recovery period left to go):

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3245/1002982d.jpg

Details:

My excision actually failed, It was not a thin line.

It spread back open.

I been using Super CP Serum and Jeune D Age Serum on it since.

I also been derma-rolling it once a week.

On Feb 4th 2011, I got Dermabrasion done

Supplements/Products:

COD Liver Oil, Protein Shakes, Multi-Vitamin

Jeune D age serum, Super CP Serum

Edited by Ref

NVM!!

NEVERMIND everything i just posted above.

I am gonna cancel the appointment and will try to get rid of it first with dermarollers.

I heard derma rollers can be used to reduce chicken pox scars and thats what i'll attempt to do first and then decide if i still need to go through the excision.

edit: another nvm on the nvm above lol, i got the excision or whatever he did done.

Edited by Ref

I think you should go with the excision. If it's only one scar, there's no point needling your entire forehead to treat it. The depth of the scar may be reduced, but it won't go away completely. I've been needling, peeling, etc my skin for years and my boxcar scars look better, but I would have gotten an excision done if I had the $. Plus, topicals, the dermaroller, supplements etc will make the cost closer to $200 than you'd think.

really ? im so confused i really dont know what to do

but come to think about it, your probably right...

so yea, i guess i'll just go with the excision then

Thanks man

Dude I've got big ass deep chicken pox scar almost right in the middle of my forehead the size of pencil eraser. And to make matters worse it is totally white and my face has dark tan color. I'd trade you for yours in a second.

Anyway, I though subcision worked better for chicken pox scars.

I've tried needling, but scars on the forehead take more time. I did get improvement, but I f'd up by using s*t that makes scar worse, so basically I'm almost starting from zero on many scars 'cause I lost the improvements I had gained.

Did your derm mentioned subcision?

ouch sorry to hear that,

I think im gonna try derma filler also, on my cheeks and stuff for acne scarring.

What do you mean that makes scars worse ?

you used a cream or something ?

I was trying to decide what cream to use with derma roller, now im thinking i should just not use anything with it haha

he did mention something about that, my derma likes to talk alot and he was talking and talking about all kinds of procedures and i got lost and kept pretending i understood what he was talking about hahah

but at the end, he told me the best option would be somekind(forgot what he said) of excision so i said okay on that

ouch sorry to hear that,

I think im gonna try derma filler also, on my cheeks and stuff for acne scarring.

What do you mean that makes scars worse ?

you used a cream or something ?

I was trying to decide what cream to use with derma roller, now im thinking i should just not use anything with it haha

he did mention something about that, my derma likes to talk alot and he was talking and talking about all kinds of procedures and i got lost and kept pretending i understood what he was talking about hahah

but at the end, he told me the best option would be somekind(forgot what he said) of excision so i said okay on that

Maybe he is doing punch excision? Sometimes this will work, but sometimes the skin will pull apart again as it is healing. If you trust your derm alot I would just go with that. I don't think needling has helped my skin too much.

its not punch excision,

I JUST GOT THE EXCISION DONE.

there's a funny looking bandaid on my forehead,

He said to take it out after 24 hours

also, he told me its like some revision or different kind of excision

im really sorry, i forgot what he said on the way back home ]:

I will keep you guys updated, if anyone is interested

Edited by Ref

hey, in order to achieve the best results you must avoid any scab formation, clean carefully your wound with some q-tips and then apply vaseline, this way you will recover in no time with great rsults. Please search on the web about the benefits of moist wound healing, unfortunately most doctors dont realize the importance of this. Actually Dr. Lam has a video of scar revision where he explains the care of stitches afterwards, and there are other scientific publications about it as well.

Good luck!

Logan_,

I cant thank you enough !!

I was really confused on what to do after the band-aid comes off.

I did research Moist Healing and Dr.Lam's video.

so this is what i will do after the band aid comes off(Dr.Lam's suggestion):

Morning:

Clean with peroxide using Q-tip. Apply bacitracin throughout the whole day.

Night:

Same procedure.

until the stitches comes out.

I took out the bandaid.

I also took pictures but i dont think im gonna upload it

it's very gross looking lol

Basically, what i can see is a pretty long thin line

and 4 stitches(1 deep, 3 outer).

cant tell at all what the outcome is going to be

but for now, it looks bad !

PS: The procedure i got done is called Scar Revision, if i remember correctly.

Edited by Ref

I believe what you had done was scar excision which is a form of scar revision. The doctor basically cut out the scar and sewed up the hole so instead of a big boxcar scar you have a thin line which can be further reduced with silicone strips. You can start using silicone strips about a week after surgery they help to lock moisture in for better healing, i was advised not to use vitamin E as a topical.. Retin A will help to fade surgical scars...I I know some of this because i had the same thing done on a pinprick scar which 2 months later is not as deep but still visible but I would guess you will be happier with your results since your scar was larger and i am guessing you will see quite a noticeable difference..

cheers

i can't wait to see your results mate. Ive been wanting to get a few of my deeper and more jagged scars excised for a while now but docs keep saying do that as a last resort.

@Tony Yes tony, thats exacly what he did. So your saying after the stitches comes off, i should apply silcone strips ? I will use it if i can find some lol. I hope i will be happy with my results, things arent looking that good right now lol

@TMHTD me too bro, i cant wait to see how it turns out. But from the looks of the stitches, it looks really bad right now so im kindah scared. I hope my derma dont disapoint me.

Excision was the first thing i decided, i didnt wana waste money doing multiple treatments with fillers and etc... waste of money. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.

I know it has no relation,

but some people in hawaii are pretty dumb lol

they see a small circle dot on the middle of your forehead between you eye brows

and the first thing they ask me "btw r u indian?"

posting after pictures so soon after surgery is worthless.

But I would really appreciate if you would upload some pics in about 4-6 months.

What you should do now is to put a silicone sheet on the scar at night and apply dermatix or mederma over day. If you have the money, having dermabrasion done after 6-8 weeks is supposed to be very helpful too.

the stiches comes off tommorow.

I'll post a pic tommorow (immediatly after)

another one in about 2 weeks

another one in about 2 - 3 months

and maybe more after if people requests it

i've ordered sample dermatix

thx

I will also be using "jeune d age anti aging serum"

it has many beneficial ingredients that includes wound healer, collagen reproduction.

Edited by Ref

ive booked a consultation with another plastic surgeon to get a few of my boxcar scars excised. They look very similar to bad chicken pox scars. First surgeon said I should do fillers and he thinks the link scar might look more obvious then my current scars but I think what the docs don't get is that acne scars look SO HORRIBLE and feel see depressing to have. I explained to him how I have other scars from sports and surgery that don't bother me that much but acne indented scars are the worst. Plus, fillers are 500 a treatment and that's how much excision costs when done by a plastic surgeon.

BTW Ref, how much did you pay for your excision? Every place Ive asked has said 500-700 for a small area on the face. Very expensive considering your trading one scar for another.

My money hungry plastic surgeon said its 350 for myne.(just 1 small area)

my derma said it would be $200, i went with him because i trust him more.

dont do those fillers and etc... you gotta keep doing it every year or so,

just do excision and get it over with

thats what i think,

also by reading this thread you should know what to do to take very good care of it.

if your plastic surgeon does a good job and you take good care of it,

i think it will look great.

I got really good news !

First of all, the stiches are out and i saw little bit how it looks like,

first look, i can say little improvement (there was still some blood).

My derma put something on it and steri-strip and said to leave it alone

for 2 - 3 days if i can.

THEN he said come back in a month and he will derma-brade it for FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

all-in-all i think it's gonna turn out great (:

ps: sorry, steri-strip over it again, so no pictures for 3 more days