Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JoeBloggs

cacao nibs?

I think im addicted to them, I like to just eat handfuls of them and I can get through alot of them in one night.

Anyone know how much they will affect my skin? Or just health in general?

I know that they contain a load of antioxidants which is good, but also contain a whole bunch of theobromine, which is similar to caffiene but much less toxic and stimulating. Is it possible im taking in too much of this chemical.

Also I dont want to jinx myself but it seems that whenever I eat a large amount of the stuff my skin seems to do a little better, it could just be coincidence especially as I havent been eating it all that long it would be great if it did actually help my skin

Pure cacao is great! It's amazing for anti-oxidants, but you have to remember it is chocolate. I have the mix, and put it in my smoothies, and sometimes my paleo pancakes. I wouldn't be snacking on bags of bits though haha, everything in moderation.

Pure cacao is great! It's amazing for anti-oxidants, but you have to remember it is chocolate. I have the mix, and put it in my smoothies, and sometimes my paleo pancakes. I wouldn't be snacking on bags of bits though haha, everything in moderation.

Yay moderation!

You have to be careful about cocoa, because along with its great mineral content and other phytochemicals.. it has a crapload of tannins. And significant levels of reducing acids like oxalic and phytic acid (definite no no's on the paleo diet). TBH I haven't sorted all that crap out, cuz I like cocoa waaay too much to care. Moderation makes me feel much better about that :D

I'd argue cacao is good for you. Reminds me that I have some nibs I need to start eating again.

I ate them for a while and noticed no difference in my acne. Although, I probably did not take them consistently enough to have much of an effect.

Moderation is key. If you find yourself always munching on them daily, then you should definitely try to ween yourself off of them and find a healthier snack, as you're most likely addicted to the Theobromine that is in them.

Yeah moderation is probably best as with most things, but ever since Ive been eating lots of cacao nibs my skin has been doing great, despite my diet not being as clean as it could be, and usually a lapse in diet means a breakout for me. However my diet has been breakout worthy yet my skin is doing amazing for some reason.

I went on a cacao nib binge (few days of eating lots of it) a month or so ago and a similar thing happened but I put it down to coincidence or other factors, I didnt think it was the cacao nibs clearing me up.

Im still not entirely sure right now but Im going to keep eating them in fairly large quantities and see if my skin stays like this, hopefully it does.

Theres only one other reason I can think of my skin doing so well, and thats due to my wisdom teeth coming through and the gum swelling up pretty bad, maybe something to do with the immune system too busy dealing with that to bother with acne, as Ive noticed my skin clears up during colds and flus too.

So its either the mass amount of cacao nibs or this swollen gum causing my skin to behave so well, because normally my skin wouldnt be doing too great with my diet how it is at the moment.

EDIT: However looking at the properties of Cacao nibs I cant really see what would be beneficial to the skin except maybe the shitload of antioxidants it contains

Edited by JoeBloggs

@JoeBloggs Interesting you mentioned your acne got better when you had your wisdom teeth out. Mine got better for the few days following my wisdom teeth surgery as well.

I think I was taking an antibiotic though. I wish I could remember the name of the other drug I was on besides Vicodin. I think it started with the letter "M". Perhaps it was not an antibiotic.

In general, I do not like the idea of taking antibiotics to treat acne.

always wanted to try them.

where do you guys buy them (suppliers in Europe preferred)? do you buy them online, how do you know you get a quality product? how do you store them ... would welcome some info. heard they are like drugs, most people can't get off them once they start consuming these nibs regularly. opinions about them seem very controversial in the raw foods community, some consider them a superfood, some quite the contrary

Well it turns out they werent no supercure lol, even though my diet wasnt great over xmas I was eating alot less carbs overall since I wasnt training, since I got back into routine Iev started breaking out like normal even though im still eating a whole bunch of cacao nibs, oh well I knew it seemed too good to be true haha.

always wanted to try them.

where do you guys buy them (suppliers in Europe preferred)? do you buy them online, how do you know you get a quality product? how do you store them ... would welcome some info. heard they are like drugs, most people can't get off them once they start consuming these nibs regularly. opinions about them seem very controversial in the raw foods community, some consider them a superfood, some quite the contrary