Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Acne Teammates--

Hope you're doing well. Sorry that you have to read this because it probably means you have acne. I have acne, too and it SUCKS!!!!! I'm a 21/female. I've had mild to bad acne on and off since I was 14. My brother had it bad too and went on Acutane. I didn't want to try that nor have any dermatologists recommended that yet.

From about age 14-16 I tried over the counter topical treatments. They worked, but it just kept coming back.

From 16-18 I tried minocycline and it helped. I went off minocycline (why? i wanted to? immature? lack of discipline? decided i was my own doctor?) at age 18 and I flared up again. (duh)

At age 19 I tried minocycline and Yaz simultaneously for 5 months. Yes, my acne cleared but i felt effects from Yaz and went off both medicines.

From age 20-most of my 21st year I tried changing diet fruits/veggies/smoothies/veggie juice drinks/no caffeine and exercise and more water. I thought I CAN DO THIS. Well, i'm in college and it's hard to stay consistent. What I noticed was when I went through phases of actually attempting this was that my acne would flare up real bad two weeks surrounding my period. And while it wasn't terrible the other two weeks, it was still apparent.

Well, I haven't stayed consistent with any sort of medication. It worked and I would go off of it. Well, now I'm a little bit older...and planning on being more disciplined with this.

I went to a dermatologist 12/15/2010 and while he was the most horrible doctor i've ever experienced, within 20 seconds after i told him my history, he prescribed me SPIRONOLACTONE. WITH BIRTH CONTROL. He said I had to get my blood tested first and go to a gYNO to get a birth control prescription before he'd give me the prescription. I said umm ok.

I actually went to my college health center whom prescribed birth control, but also recommended I check with my endocrinologist first before starting ANYTHING. I have hypothyroidism.

SOOOO, I went to my endocrinologist 12/22/2010 whom was not only able to prescribe me Sprionolactone, but also birth control. SOO now I'm excited because I can continue to see my endocrinologist for my hypothyroidism, acne, and for my birth control pills.

P.S. A few reasons they prescribe birth control with spironolactone is

1. If you get pregnant on this medication it is super harmful for your baby, especially a male baby because it gives the male baby female qualities. you must be off spironolactone for at least 4 months (DONT QUOTE ME) before getting pregnant

2. Spironolactone can cause spotting and birth control will help even that out

3. Birth control, some birth control, different for every person help with acne. so these two medicines work in synergy with one another.

SO, I'm at a point where I'm just going to listen to my doctors.

I started 25 mg Spironolactone twice a day 12/22/2010 and haven't had many side effects. Quite possibly my stomach cramping the first 3 days was attributed to it, but who knows. It's gone now. I drink a lot of water on it and am peeing a lot. They say spironolactone causes that, but I think it has something to do with the amount of water I'm taking. My doctor will call me in a week letting me know if indeed my hormone levels are unbalanced. Even if they AREN'T unbalanced, she says she will keep me on spironolactone and treat my acne as hormonal. (SHE CHECKED my androgen levels, etc. testosterone?)

And I will start birth control with my next period which happens to be a month after starting Spiro, so I think that I just have to be patient and I'm doing everything I can now.

I use OXY spot treatment on pimples and it helps. I also wash my face with a natural cleanser from the health food store gently. And I also use Vitamin E oil from full capsules directly on my pimples when I can. That truly helps with scarring and REDNESSSSSS!! It's just effective overall.

No changes yet. I have to be patient. Also, after 3 months my doctor will check my potassium levels which need to be monitored while on spiro.

ALSO, my endocrinologist prescribed Orthocept Birth Control for when I start next month. My health clinic nurst had prescribed Alesse. But I'm going to follow my endo. Every doctor has their own opinion on which birth control is better. Do your research and trust your doctor. Everyone has different reactions...............to everything. God bless!

I'll keep ya'll posted if you're interested. Feel free to respond.

Xoxo, Liz

YES! Let's do it. I'm on a christmas break, away from school and work. So I've just been lounging at home all day keeping Oxy Spot Treatment on Pimples and switching off with direct Vitamin E oil from capsules.

The Vitamin E really helps pimples that have reached that point where the pus is out, but they're just lingering. They really go down on my face after applying the Vitamin E. As for the spot treatment, i THINK it's helping. Active pimples have stayed active for like 3 days.

Hate this. Lol.

How old are you? Also, did you have any side effects on spiro?

I just started Spir on 12/13/2010. I'm trying to be patient just like you. Im not taking BC. So maybe we can keep each updated. Good luck to you!

I am 31yrs. old. I too have put all my hopes and faith into spiro. The only side effect I noticed is peeing alot and I mean like ever hour the hour. But other then that none.

Edited by 1betterlife

alright, cool. me too a little but like i said, i am drinking a lot of water.

okay i'll check back in a few days to see if you've posted anything new! i'll be started birth control within the week and will continue to post. i love acne.org. :wacko: '

good luck to you girl, hang in there. we're rockstars!

I am 31yrs. old. I too have put all my hopes and faith into spiro. The only side effect I noticed is peeing alot and I mean like ever hour the hour. But other then that none.
Edited by ERock66

yeah i think i included in my first post my endocrinologist tested my hormones i guess what is included in that is androgen and testosterone levels. i'm not sure but she is calling me back after the 1st of the year with results.

IF my hormones are normal (which i don't think they will be........) she wants to keep me on Spiro anyway and continue to treat my acne as hormonal for a little while.

Also, i'm on 25 mg twice a day. most people on here seem to have started on higher doses but the trend that I see is that people have more initial breakouts when starting on a higher dose.

i don't mind starting on this low dose because she already mentioning raising it slightly after the first month. i don't know if i've had an initial break out. i think it's too soon to tell.

did you have your hormones tested?

ERock66 have you ever had your hormones tested?

I'm on 25 mg twice a day too. My derm tested my horomones and she said that my dhea levels were high. But my primary care doctor said no there are fine. So I dont know who to believe. So I called and left a message with my primary doctor to put a referral in form me to se and endo doctor. This way it will put my mind at ease on which doctor knows what they are taling about. Keep me posted on what your endo says and I will do the same. It is so nice to talk to someone about these issues.

Edited by 1betterlife

Hey guys

I am on the same boat. I dont know if I ever had hormonal issues because I always had very regular periods, but I was sure damn sensitive to hormones fluctuations. I am on spiro for 5 weeks now. Started on 50 mg, been on 100 for two weeks. No BCP. :-)

I have another post with the name help with spiro to keep up with progress on spiro.

Good luck to you ladies.

Asar,

I never had any issues with my period. But I still wonder if my derm was right about the dhea levels being to high. So are you seeing rsults from the spiro?

asar,

I just read your post ( help with spiro) I have the same issues. I hate those cystic pimples they hurt. And yes they leave a dark mark on your skin. I get them on my chin too. I always go to my derm and get a shot to avoid the dark mark. I have learned that the sooner I get an injection the less of a mark it leaves. Also the injection the derm gives me gets rid of the pimple in 3 to 5 days. I have tried ever medication and nothing prevents them or takes them away. I have learned to leave them alone and dont try to pop them. Mine never come to a head. It's best to just get an injection. My cystic acne started like 5 yrs ago. I am trying really hard to stay hopeful that spiro will be the magic pill that stops this form happening. Keep me informed of your progress. I will do the same.

i'm glad you're seen an endo for this! you're doing all the right things. and like my situation, i don't think i need to see a dermo for a long time because my endo will be able to monitor my acne, hormone levels, and prescribe me spiro. we'll see how that works out down the line. but in the mean time, that's why it's nice i can go to ONE DOCTOR for all of it.

thanks asar, yeah 5 weeks? what results r u seeing?

vitamin e ladies for any dark or red spots really helps. buy the bottle of oral pills and pinch them open and use that oil.

Asar,

I never had any issues with my period. But I still wonder if my derm was right about the dhea levels being to high. So are you seeing rsults from the spiro?

well girls, after spiro I haven't really gotten any cyst on my chin. I started getting at least 2 per month close to my period or ovulation. Spiro has really helped with that. Right after my period, I seemed to form a small under the skin pimple on my chin, but it just went away in 2-3 days without leaving any mark. I do get dark marks from those painful pimples. The mark usually takes a month to go away but they do go away. I also wanted to mention that before suddenly losing weight, i didn't use to get cysts on my chin. I am 5.8 and weight only about 112. I used to be 140. I think my issue was a sudden fluctuation in hormones due to diet and weight changes. I am trying to gain weight again. If you have less body fat, you could end up with less estrogen. Which can make you more sensitive to Androgens.

Overall, I do see some improvement. I did get a medium size over the surface pimple on my cheek last friday. I obsessed over it a lot and picked it so much. I am gonna try rubbing vitamin E oil on it. I am an obsessive compulsive person who gets extremely depressed even over one pimple. Also, my periods came yesterday. And guess what? no pms at all. And no chin acne so far. Just that pimple from friday.

What kind of acne do you guys have? Mine depends a lot on my cycle and stress. I mostly just get it on my chin but after spiro that has stopped, spiro did cause 2-3 pimples on my chin though not cyst but medium sized. they went away quickly. Before spiro, i would only mostly get clogged pores on the side of my face, and maybe a smaller tiny pimple per month. After a month, you guys should think about increasing your dose to a 100. Slowly, you would start noticing changes. I know that I am going through changes because of having no PMS pain and early period.

EROCK,

I changed my diet a few months ago, stopped eating any sugar, started consuming lots of veggies and fruits. Stopped all dairy. Got in to depression and noticed that my acne got worse 2 weeks prior to my periods too. Like I started getting painful under the skin pimples on my chin a lot. I also started losing weight on that diet. Now I am really deficient in Vitamin D. WHile I think its good to not eat lot of junk food and sugar but going on extreme to avoid certain food can sometimes really mess up your system. This extremely healthy diet with no milk or any other dairy really made me miserable. I believe it made me deficient in a lot of things. When I was a healthy 140 lbs, I ate almost everything in moderation and enjoyed my life, I would hardly ever get painful chin pimple. I would get a pimple here and there before my period, and clogged pores because I was bad with taking off makeup, but nothing serious.

thank you for your information! i have cystic pimples and other kinds of pimples. some form pus on the outside within a few days and some stay cysts for days to weeks.

right now, my skin is going down. this is normally the week i begin to break out due to my period coming in 4 days-ish, but my skin is going DOWN.

nothing is perfect yet, so i'm waiting. i also have had a cystic pimple on my chest and surrounding smaller pimples on and off for my life.

i get light acne on my back and is quickly treatable.

that's interesting news about losing body fat and losing estrogen. i hope that you can find a way to get both in order and be happy. :surprised:

but yeah, i've been using oxy spot treatment and vitamin e on and off for 5 days straight now and today was the first day i said in the mirror..ok it's healing.

grrr...patience! my doctor will be calling me next week to inform me on my actual hormone levels and we'll talk about either upping the dosage or not.

if my acne seems to be getting better on 25 mg twice a day...should i bother upping the dosage??

Aspr,

I get pimples on my chin as well. I havent really payed that much attention if they come right before or during my period. But most of the time I get two a month. They are always cystic pimples. Once in a while I get a regular pimple any where on my face. But they dont bother me cause they go away in a week. I do have scars from cystic pimples. I had to learn the hard way not to pick them. I started Spiro and I had a cystic pimple on my forehead and it is just now starting to go away. I never get them there so it was really weird that I go tone there. But I have to say the pimple was not as big as they have been in the past. I got y period on the 18th and got 2 small pimples one on my chin and one next to my nose. But I knew they were coming because i had blackheads in those spots. Yesterday I started to get a cystic pimple on my chin and to my surprise its not that big. By now my cystic pimple would have been inflammed and very noticaable. THis one is sore to the tough but you cant really see it. So I am still staying hopeful that spiro is going to help. I have noticed that I have less oil on my face. I still use BP twice a day and Prascion cleanser twice daily. I have an appointment with my derm on Jan 4th. I am hopin she will increase the spiro. And you better believe if my cytic acne on my head and chim arent gone I will ask her ot give me a shot. I also requested a referral to go see an endo doc. I really hope Spiro is the answer cause I dont want to take accutane. I have to leaave the house tomorrow and Im depressed about that. But I have to suck it up! Aspar how long have you been taking spiro?

1betterlife

dont touch it or pick it. It wont get big. You will see that this one will go away quicker. Also I got a weird breakout too after spiro which was not usual. So its the medicine. Just dont do anything, it will subside.

ERock, when I just started spiro, and got my first period on it, it wasn't all that great. I seemed to have more pimples that usual, but they went away soon. if 50 is working then stick with it. We need to keep reminding each other that this medication takes time.

betterlife! i was just thinking that my endocrinologist wanted me to have my hormones tested on a certain day in my menstrual cycle for the most efficient way to tell.

so they say to get your androgen/hormone levels tested within the 4 days after you start bleeding.

i was thinking that maybe this was why your levels were different with different doctors.

Hey girls, I dunno if you guys have any tip for me. So that huge scab I had from my zit just automatically came off today. Now the skin under it looks very new and pink. Like verrryyy pink. what should I do about that? What can I rub on it?

Hey girls, I dunno if you guys have any tip for me. So that huge scab I had from my zit just automatically came off today. Now the skin under it looks very new and pink. Like verrryyy pink. what should I do about that? What can I rub on it?

If its pink thats good ! means it will heal and FAST

but if you still want to make it heal faster, you can put any sort of healing material on it E.g Sudacrem, vaseline, emu oil, vitamin e oil, aloe vera oil...

But apply it specifically on that patch.

VITAMIN E VITAMIN E pure from the capsule. oh my gosh don't use anything else