Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acnerob

post accutane user's

hey

i was hoping to get responses from accutane users to a few questions i have.

i am 17 male and have mild-moderate acne, but very persistent, if i miss the regimen one day i will break out. i also have very oily skin and its depressing me to the state i come home early and skip lessons at college.

so i have a few questions which i would be really really grateful if you could answer them from you experiences . .

1) does accutane clear whiteheads and comedones?

2) will oily skin come backafter accutane?

3)how bad is the dryness compared to starting dan's regimen? (waking up each ay with flakes everywhere)

any other negative sideeffects other than dry skin and lips?

would you recommend me going on it from my description above?

how bad is the initial breakout and how long does it last for?

thanks everyone i would appreciate andy feedback from anyone who has been on accutane :D

hey

i am 17 male and have mild-moderate acne, but very persistent, if i miss the regimen one day i will break out. i also have very oily skin and its depressing me to the state i come home early and skip lessons at college.

so i have a few questions which i would be really really grateful if you could answer them from you experiences . .

3)how bad is the dryness compared to starting dan's regimen? (waking up each ay with flakes everywhere)

thanks everyone i would appreciate andy feedback from anyone who has been on accutane :D

1) yes

2) yes

3) I had much worse dryness with Dan's regimen than I did with accutane- and I wasn't on a low dose or anything- I was even on accutane in winter and it wasn't that bad

4) back pain

5) I don't feel comfortable answering this one

6) I did not have an initial breakout at all. I think I avoided this by being on antibiotics and tretinoin cream before I started accutane

-Accutane cleared up everything I had for about 6 months. My acne came back fiercely, but just in surface bumps. I used to get deep,painful zits before the accutane.

-My oiliness came back,but nowhere near as bad as I was before accutane.

-Accutane dries you out like something crazy. I had lizard-like skin,tons of big flakes coming off my face and scalp,it was painful to wash my body everyday.I ended up showering with just water.

- My bones ached,I itched all over

My skin didn't change until about month two of the accutane course. Then it hit me like a train. I was covered with whiteheads that would quickly pop up,break open,then more would pop up,they would break open.It was an ugly cycle. It pushed all my blackheads out like silly string. I cannot remember when the breakouts stopped.

I only recommend someone going on accutane if their acne causes scarring or if it so severely affects your life that you suffer from intense depression.There is a small chance you'll get permanent side effects. You have to be at a point where you rather be bald than suffer with acne. Accutane is miraculous drug,but it's something you have to take seriously. You might also need two rounds of it to completely rid you of acne.

You have to make a huge commitment to drinking ample amounts of water,eating healthy,protecting yourself from the sun,protecting yourself from bone damaging. You can't be spending tons of time outside playing sports. You're going to look terrible for a while.Your body is going to hurt. You have to baby your body. If you can't give up sports,or if you can't change your lifestyle for accutane...then don't take it.

1) does accutane clear whiteheads and comedones? It does help during treatment, but post-treatment mild acne sometimes comes back

2) will oily skin come backafter accutane? This is likely

3)how bad is the dryness compared to starting dan's regimen? (waking up each ay with flakes everywhere) Depends on the dose you are prescribed. The higher the dose, the higher the level you will experience side effects

4) any other negative side effects other than dry skin and lips? TONS- Research before you make a decision on whether to start treatment. Long term side effects are not that rare, and some side effects do not always go away post-treatment. Please weigh up the risks. E.g. See: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...ml#side-effects

4) Would you recommend me going on it from my description above? No- for mild-moderate acne ask a Dermatologist about antibiotic treatment such as Doxycycline. But if you decide you want isotretinoin/Accutane, in your case it would be less risk to undergo a low-dose treatment plan

5) how bad is the initial breakout and how long does it last for? Can be horrendous e.g up to 3 months- depends on dosage and how much acne the med needs to push out of your system

Best wishes, Shantelle

Edited by Shantelle

1) does accutane clear whiteheads and comedones? It does help during treatment, but post-treatment mild acne sometimes comes back

2) will oily skin come backafter accutane? This is likely

3)how bad is the dryness compared to starting dan's regimen? (waking up each ay with flakes everywhere) Depends on the dose you are prescribed. The higher the dose, the higher the level you will experience side effects

4) any other negative side effects other than dry skin and lips? TONS- Research before you make a decision on whether to start treatment. Long term side effects are not that rare, and some side effects do not always go away post-treatment. Please weigh up the risks. E.g. See: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...ml#side-effects

4) Would you recommend me going on it from my description above? No- for mild-moderate acne ask a Dermatologist about antibiotic treatment such as Doxycycline. But if you decide you want isotretinoin/Accutane, in your case it would be less risk to undergo a low-dose treatment plan

5) how bad is the initial breakout and how long does it last for? Can be horrendous e.g up to 3 months- depends on dosage and how much acne the med needs to push out of your system

Best wishes, Shantelle

1) Usually yes, but they usually return as well. Mild-moderate acne returned for me, but cysts and nodules were reduced to sporadic instances.

2) For me, my old level of oiliness never returned. Washing twice a day is more than sufficient to keep a satisfactory level of oil on my face

3) The dryness/flaking on your facial skin is worse on Dan's regimen.. but not for long. Accutane dries up everything, everywhere, and some of the dryness can be permanent. Wearing contacts is sometimes extremely irritating for me, and my lips have continued to peel strangely (but not noticeably) since taking Accutane - neither of which were issues in the past.

4) If it's being controlled by the regimen, then it's really not worth the risk of going on Accutane. Like Shantelle said, low-dose if anything.

5) I had no real initial breakout, at least partly because I was taking antibiotics (Bactrim DS) concurrently.

thanks everyone this is really helping! i'm just worried abot my acne building up resistance to the lymecycline and not sure whether to get it sorted now with accutane.

So the long term side effects are not actually that rare then?

Remember that I am just one person talking here!

It cleared blackheads for me, but in the three months I have been off tane, a few have come back, but they are not nearly as bad as before. No whiteheads whatsoever.

My skin is not nearly as bad as it was before in terms of oil. By the end of tane, you will be glad to have some of that oil back, trust me. My hair looked like barbie-doll hair because it was so dry all the time.

I did something similar to Dan's regimen, and for me the dryness only became an issue in my 4th and 5th months, after all my acne was gone. My skin was really dry for that time. Shaving my face was a nightmare. But after tane my skin is clear and back to normal.

Joint and back pain for only my second month(after upping dose). After that I was fine. Felt moderately depressed, but already was feeling that from acne.

TALK TO YOUR DERM! Asking people's stories on here is great and helpful, but your derm is your final authority.

This question can't really be answered. The IB is probably the thing that varies most from person to person while on tane.

About the long term side effects: My derm has treated over 5000 people with tane, and only had to pull one off treatment because she had joint pain (common short term side effect) but needed to play a sport.

There is a slight possibility of long term effects, but your chances of having these are insignificant compared to the benefits you will almost certainly attain.

Remember this: The few people (out of hundreds of thousands) that took accutane and had a bad experience are the ones on here trying to scare you away. The vast majority of people who were successfully cured like me don't come back here to acne.org because they don't have an acne problem anymore. They are out living their lives.

Edited by PolishKid

thankyou very much for that polishkid it was really appreciated. i know what you mean about people not coming back here, when i got clear the first time i didnt.

so did you have comedones before you went on accutane or have they never really been an issue?

hey

Hi! I was on Accutane a year a and a half ago, and I'm going to see the derm to see if I can get on it again for another round. That right there should tell you that my experience with the treatment was great, but to answer your questions:

1) It cleared everything for me. I usually suffer from whiteheads and cystic pimples, so I can't really speak to the clearing of comedones or blackheads, but within months of starting Accutane my skin was the smoothest and clearest it has ever been.

2) My skin returned to its oily ways a few months post-treatment. At first I thought this would automatically bring break-outs with it, but it didn't. I finished my course in September of 2009, and I would say the oiliness returned in full force by February/March. However, my skin remained clear until October.

3) In my experience, I was not dry in the sense that BP makes you dry (i.e. flaky and gross). Rather, my skin was more normal because it wasn't producing the copious amounts of oil that is usually does. I moisturized with Cetaphil every morning and night and this helped me to maintain a healthy skin tone. However, like most other users, I did experience chapped lips and dryness on the insides of my nose. But both of these side effects were extremely manageable (I used Aquaphor to treat both).

4) The only other side effect I experienced was a weird rash on my neck and arms. It wasn't that noticeable, but was definitely itchy. It went away soon after I finished treatment.

5) I would recommend Accutane to anyone who suffers emotionally from acne and wants clear skin. I think the side effects are sensationalized, but then again my experience was a positive one. As a word of caution, though, some derms won't prescribe it unless you have already tried antibiotics (I'm not sure whether or not you have).

6) I don't think I had an IB. The worst breakout I had when I was on Accutane was 2 months into treatment, but I wouldn't classify this as an IB because it wasn't any worse than my other breakouts.

Overall, if the derm will prescribe it to you, I would say go for it. Good luck!

Thanks for that! i think i'm gonna go for it to be honest. so in your experience did acne come back at full force after accutane or was it not quite as bad?

Thanks for that! i think i'm gonna go for it to be honest. so in your experience did acne come back at full force after accutane or was it not quite as bad?

It's definitely not as bad as it was, but still enough to bother me. I am currently using BHA lotion + BP and it does OK with treating active pimples, but nothing to prevent new ones. That's the main reason I want to go back on Accutane. It was the only treatment in my nearly 10 years of dealing with acne that I felt confident treated the condition from the inside out. I cannot stress enough all that this drug did to change my life. I hope your derm will prescribe it to you and that you have positive results with it!