Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sam1993

Will my acne ever get better?

I have suffered from acne since I was 14 years old. I am now 17. I started Retin-A Micro back in June 2010, and my skin was literally flawless by early September. It is now late December, and the weather is really cold where I live. My skin started to get really dry from the weather even though I have oily skin. The retin a was just making the dryness worse, so I went off of it for basically half of November and half of December. I just started back up on it a few days ago, and my skin seems like it is going through the purging stage again!!!!! I have already been through that! Could I really be going through it again??? I only skipped using it, because my skin was already so dry from the weather, and using it was just making my skin even more dry! I am now really broken out, because I think I am purging! What should I do??? I never had this problem in the summer! Please help me!!! :cry::cry::cry:

That's what happens when you go off of a product for a while. That period of time was long enough to have reversed progress. Never go off of a topical like Retin-A without consultation from your doctor if you plan on going back on it again.

Take a deep breath. Play some of your favorite music. Find your happy place. And read this:

You're 17? Ok. It all started when you were 14? Ok. It sounds like your acne--from just those bits of information--is hormonal and completely due to puberty. For me, acne started when I was 13. I am now 19, and I still have acne. At first I completely was dumbfounded, but after nearly 7 years of acne now (although I haven't had acne nonstop, there were moments of clarity), I have realized that I need to outgrow the acne, and try to treat it with whatever I can.

I literally tried everything: all retinoids, differen, duac, benzoyl peroxide, tons of antibiotics, two rounds of ACCUTANE (only worked FOR ME for a few months), tons of holistic methods that I took to the extreme. I tried Apple Cider Vinegar, drinking and applying to my face, Urine Therapy, etc etc etc.

I have always been healthy--I eat healthy and I always workout. Having acne perpetuated these habits.

And I still have acne, although it's not as bad as it used to be when I was in high school.

I am now on Tazorac. I can see it working, but only as a quick fix.

So basically what I can tell you is to experiment. If you find something that works, stick with it! You are going to need it, because you are (probably) fighting against the pubescent stages of acne still. Most people do until they are in their mid-twenties. Heck, I'm almost 20. I have been reading and posting on this sight since I was 16, that's crazy to think about.

If all else fails, POSITIVE THINKING is a panacea for sure.

And to combat the oily skin--and dry skin for that matter--make sure to always MOISTURIZE. I use Cetaphil. It's a great product for all skin types.

Oily skin occurs when our sebaceous glands sense that our skin is too dry. So if your skin is moisturized, then you won't see a bunch of sebum and oil on your face, and consequently you will see less breakouts..hopefully.

Moisturizing will also obviously help with dry skin.

you sound like me. i didnt have a single breakout from august-october when the weather was warm. but in november when it started getting cold i started to get a bunch of clogged pores and im still getting them. its the weather