Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snappy

Considering 'the regimen' - appreciate your advice

Hi,

I'm considering the use of 'the regimen' to treat my acne problem. Noticeable acne problems commenced when I was at the age of 17. At this time I had only used one product called innoxa 41, it was a 10% benzoyl peroxide liquid which I applied all over my body using cotton balls. It worked, and I used it up till the age of 18. But this was "on and off", due to the fact that it caused some expense, and I used to buy them in huge batches so that it could last me awhile, but i could go through quite a bit in a few months because i used it every day and like three times a day. Anyways now I'm 20, and the product i used is not on the market anymore, and I havent looked into any other treatments. Dan's regimen appears to be non-biased and thats why I'm entrusting my body to his plan (and yes I know he doesnt offer a guarantee/warranty tongue.gif).

I cannot really describe my acne because I haven't compared to many others. The best way to explain it is with pictures:

Face

Full shot of the front of my face

Close angle shot of my face

Close side shot of my face

Back

Full shot of my back

Closer shot of my upper back area Note: the neck area I believe is sunburnt, therefore it's red like that, it has nothing to do with the acne. However there is a big pimple on the side of my neck, but thats it.

I believe the damage to my skin is moderate. There are worse cases out there for sure. I'm not going to go too much into my own self-esteem, but I feel extremely embarassed about my back area. I haven't been to the beach or taken off my shirt in public due to the mess on my back.

The acne has spread so that there have been one-off spots on my thighs and buttocks area.

Now I'm willing to take Dan's regimen seriously. However I am unsure

This is what i've considered for my initial purchase (im thinking 2 months worth and did an evaluation based on my skin):

6x Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar (maybe I can alternate this with 6x benzoyl peroxide 10% bars)

4x Eucerin Skin Renewal Day Lotion

12x BP Gel (although Dan recommends 10% for my back, any suggestions or additional products I could get?)

I want to get the cheapest yet very effective solution. I'm not trying to save on money, so I'm willing to buy the best, but I want to get "alot" to make sure that I can treat my body completly.

Also to add currently I have nutritional deficiencies (I eat one random meal a day) that I overcome using vitamins (I cannot remember the units, just the amount):

25000 Vitamin A

2000 Vitamin C

400 Vitamin E

40 Vitamin B

40 Zinc

200 Folic Acid

If you can let me know of any other vitamins I might be missing out on, please let me know. Especially those that fight acne.

Also, I just want to note, currently since I'm not treating my skin the current precautions Im using are:

I don't touch my face often.

I cant really avoid shirts, but most of mine are loose and I change shirts everytime I shower (I ususally shower twice a day).

When I shower, I've been trying my best to avoid getting hit with water on my back, and rather lathering it with dove soap and using splashes of water. The same applies to my face aswell.

I cant help irritation/aggrevation when there are straps on my backs, but its very rare these days that i wear a bag.

Also I wear contacts, and I'm new at wearing these, so I tear a lot. I sometimes clean the tears with my forearm etc. which I know is bad, due to rubbing in dead skin, etc. I've begun keeping a pack of tissues with me wherever I go.

I honestly do not have any time to go to a dermatologist. I don't want to have to first go to a doctor, then goto a dermatologist so that my healthcare can provide it. Could someone give me a rough example of how much a dermatologist visit may cost?

Your comments/advice are absolutely appreciated and I value your time to actually bother/'care' about my skin.

Thanks.

I have my first dermetologist appointment on Tuesday. Gonna cost me $90, because I have no insurance.

i started the regimen 2 and a half weeks ago and i've seen a consistent improvement. i would def give it a go, just follow the regimen exactly. hope it works.

the acne on your face isnt bad at all. I say you give the Regimen a shot, also for your back, get a loofah or something similiar and get Neutrogena's Body wash. Apply to loofah, and scrub on back moderately to semi harsh.

My comments...

don't start with eucerin renewal -it contains an aha. Your skin needs to have adjusted to the regimen first - before you add in an aha. Start off with a plainer moisturiser till week 4 or thereabouts.

Do not use bp soaps on your face! Also beware that purpose has a reputation for being very drying - this is fine if your skin is naturally very oily - but possibly irritating if your skin is normal or dry. I've heard quite good things about the basis soap - so this could be an alternative if you are concerned.

good luck.

For your back you should try out Clean an Clear Acne cleanser, it comes in a purple container, costs like 5 bucks and is 10%bp. My suggestion is for you to leave it on your back for like 5-8 minutes in the shower. Then rinse it off. Eventually, after a couple weeks you could maybe leave it on all night.

Also, Your face doesnt look bad at all, you do have kind of a rough complexion with mild acne but the regimen should help you greatly.

One suggestion tho is DO NOT pop the pimples on your back. Thats bad news.

Oh yes, Look into a NEW body WASH. Dont use that dove crap soap. Get yourslef acquainted with a good tea tree oil body wash. Or buy some sort of moisturizing herbal body wash and dump a bottle of tea tree oil in it. This should help alot.

I appreciate all your comments. Thank you very much.

BM745: Thanks for info.

Kooky: Thanks a ton for the loofah idea.

frances: what is an 'aha'?

White: No more dove for me. I removed it from my bathroom. I will just use whatever body wash I get from the regimen, I think that'll work as good. How many applications do you think I can get ouf of clear&clear -- I want to get at least 2 months worth of this stuff for my back (and preferably do it on one order). Also you hit the nail in the coffin when you said I have a rough complexion. Part of it is based on the redness from the acne. Is there any way I can dull/smooth the complexion?

an alpha hydroxy acid - it is included in Eucerin renewal to help increase the rate that your skin exfoliates. Because people often experience drying and some irritation from bp when they first start the regimen they can find that applying an aha is stinging. That is why it is good for your skin to get used to the bp first over a number of weeks and to normalise before you start adding in other medicated ingredients. When you are accustomed to the regimen a moituriser containing an aha can be quite useful at eliminating some of the flakiness that bp promotes.

Its a bit difficult because of the lighting to tell the severity of your back acne but from what I can see you do not really have that much active acne but there seems to be quite a bit of pigmentation- perhaps marks left from existing acne.

If that is the case then certainly try the various body washes and the other suggestions but in the end I think that you should probably go and see a derm. In terms of pricing where are you from (I am in Australia) and here the derm visits and the acne drugs are subsidised which makes it so affordable.

From my personal experiences all the body washes and other treatments helped me very minimally and at 21 I am finnaly on RoAccutane which I am thanking the heavens I did because things are looking rosy.

I have had heaps of experience with back acne so if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

BTW your face looks like a mild case but if it worries you then the regime should definately fix that up. But start with a very small amount of BP so you dont aggravate your face.

Parks

Its a bit difficult because of the lighting to tell the severity of your back acne but from what I can see you do not really have that much active acne but there seems to be quite a bit of pigmentation- perhaps marks left from existing acne.

an alpha hydroxy acid - it is included in Eucerin renewal to help increase the rate that your skin exfoliates. Because people often experience drying and some irritation from bp when they first start the regimen they can find that applying an aha is stinging. That is why it is good for your skin to get used to the bp first over a number of weeks and to normalise before you start adding in other medicated ingredients. When you are accustomed to the regimen a moituriser containing an aha can be quite useful at eliminating some of the flakiness that bp promotes.

PanOxyl 10% Bar

I'm thinking of getting 4 of these & 2 of the Purpose bar instead of 6 Purpose bars.

I will use the PanOxyl the way Dan's regiment suggests to use the Purpose bar. This way I can give my back more treatment.

What do you gujys think about this substitution?

I'm planning to buy all the products today to start Dan's Regimen.

well when i used dove soap my face get oily fast but i use the Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar, it really works wonders plus with the Regimen. i use the soap on my back as well and it shows improvement with out BP on my back and chest.

My altered Regimen:

I took into account all the suggestions, since I wasn't sure about Eucerin and it's alternatives, I've kept it in, assuming it will not hinder the 'speed' of the treatment. I truly expect all this to last 2 months. However I also expect this to be a very powerful treatment.

12x Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser (Specifically for my back, has 10% BP)

4x Eucerin Skin Renewal Day Lotion

12x acnesupplies BP Gel 2.5%

4x Panoxyl 10% BP Bars (Specifically for the back)

2x Purpose Gentle Bars (Specifically for the face)

Some loofahs to gain access to my back

I want to be able to purchase these items by the end of the week, so I can start a.s.a.p. However I value your opinions/comments/etc. because I know you're all a lot more experienced than me dealing with acne.

Please let me know what you think. It would be much appreciated.

Also if anyone knows what is good/useful to get a smoother complexion, please let me know.

Just to save you some cash, you shouldnt need 2 different cleansers for the back. One of them will do.