Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Are organic vegetables more nutritious than non-organic vegetables?

I keep hearing that organic vegetables can contain up to 30% more nutrients than non-organic vegetables. I have read this is also true for eggs.

This isn't about pesticides, this is about nutrient content. If moderators are wondering what this has to do with acne, it is because more nutrient dense foods can positively affect the acne of those with decreased absorption.

Is it true? Are organic veggies more nutritious than inorganic veggies? I couldn't find any substantial research on the internet.

Edited by Dotty1

It depends on many factors including nutrients in the soils, ripeness when picked, how long since it was picked, storage, etc. If you are talking about veggies from a farmer's market or your garden, then they are most likely just picked and far more nutritious than anything in your supermarket, organic or not.

With eggs, it still depends. If they are from pastured hens where they have access to greens and insects then they will have a better omega3/6 ratio. Same with any other animal product.

I have heard something like this too. I can't remember if it was just between organic and non-organic, or gmo and non-gmo foods though.

example - If you look at the blueberries they sell in publix, sweetbay, walmart, whereever you go for non-organic produce, they are giant. They are also super sweet. If you look at the organic or wild-picked blueberries at the health food store, they are smaller and slightly less sweet. The giant supermarkets are focused on finding the best tasting (highest sugar) fruits, and possibly sacrificing nutrition.

something like that.... I know we talked about the blueberries on here before. I would love to read some actual research on this if anyone can dig some up!

I wish they would do nutritional plant breeding. I mean they can get fruits to get so much sweeter. If they can do the same thing with the nutrients that would be great.

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

yaah but ppl! what about certain amount of things that body can absorb at once at all? while idk much about this @[email protected] but from a little glimpse i threw on some info thread i remember i that body kinda takes only certain amount of nutrients n stuff at once and everything else (rest of amount of vitamins n other shit) is just for waste..

therefoor..what about junk food ppl (like im not talking about the obese overly fat unhealthy ones but yo regular person who eats dinner at mcdonald or anywhere and doesnt rly care about no shit and everythings ok with them) who are healthy huh? imo their bodys just work stronger so they can just get vits n all even from that kind of food, thats why..

wut im tryin to say is that i somehow doubt that it makes big difference if u eat slightly less nutritional veggetable as long as u get enough vitamins for daily need or something from it :/

well idk fo sho ofc but heey i just think :think: ..again everything how yo body works and deals with shit probably is in yo specific dna coding (liek 70-90% maybe? and rest of % is environmental, food, stress etc stuff dependable), soo mostly depending on how yo dna is coded determines how much and how well and from what u get more nutrition as well..hence why ppl with cooler dna (bastardz!! *envyyy*) can eat crap and still be healthy. >__>

well just imho i say that! :confused:

yaah but ppl! what about certain amount of things that body can absorb at once at all? while idk much about this @[email protected] but from a little glimpse i threw on some info thread i remember i that body kinda takes only certain amount of nutrients n stuff at once and everything else (rest of amount of vitamins n other shit) is just for waste..

therefoor..what about junk food ppl (like im not talking about the obese overly fat unhealthy ones but yo regular person who eats dinner at mcdonald or anywhere and doesnt rly care about no shit and everythings ok with them) who are healthy huh? imo their bodys just work stronger so they can just get vits n all even from that kind of food, thats why..

wut im tryin to say is that i somehow doubt that it makes big difference if u eat slightly less nutritional veggetable as long as u get enough vitamins for daily need or something from it :/

well idk fo sho ofc but heey i just think :think: ..again everything how yo body works and deals with shit probably is in yo specific dna coding (liek 70-90% maybe? and rest of % is environmental, food, stress etc stuff dependable), soo mostly depending on how yo dna is coded determines how much and how well and from what u get more nutrition as well..hence why ppl with cooler dna (bastardz!! *envyyy*) can eat crap and still be healthy. >__>

well just imho i say that! :confused:

I think this definitely is a valid point and definitely answers my question.

It's overwhelmingly likely that organic farming is no healthier in terms of nutritional value than conventional farming - theres just no solid reason they would be. The evidence mostly supports the assertion above, though there have recently been outlying exceptions. Because there's no explanation, my guess is that at least some of the exceptional research is biased by profit motive. Large agro companies (and don't kid yourself, most organic produce is not grown by small farmers) love organic because the profit margin on organic food is so much higher. There has even been some research showing organic produce to be LESS nutritious than some conventionally grown foods, because of the lack natural availability of certain nutrients in some soils. In addition, when a plant isn't well fed, it spends less energy producing secondary metabolites (all the phytochemicals we love) and more making basic structural components and energy stores. There's also little disagreement over the fact that organic foods are more likely to be contaminated with bacteria, which just reinforces the importance of washing your veggies and fruits thoroughly, no matter how it was grown.

I personally follow the "Dirty Dozen" guide, buying organic for the dirty foods and conventional for the clean ones. Clean and dirty refer to how contaminated with pesticides the foods normally are. Check it out, if you haven't seen it before: http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

whoa i actually made a valid point? :surprised: wow thnx! wahaha! *runz in circles* xD

shes greatly overestimating the role of DNA on this...

It's overwhelmingly likely that organic farming is no healthier in terms of nutritional value than conventional farming - theres just no solid reason they would be. The evidence mostly supports the assertion above, though there have recently been outlying exceptions. Because there's no explanation, my guess is that at least some of the exceptional research is biased by profit motive. Large agro companies (and don't kid yourself, most organic produce is not grown by small farmers) love organic because the profit margin on organic food is so much higher. There has even been some research showing organic produce to be LESS nutritious than some conventionally grown foods, because of the lack natural availability of certain nutrients in some soils. In addition, when a plant isn't well fed, it spends less energy producing secondary metabolites (all the phytochemicals we love) and more making basic structural components and energy stores. There's also little disagreement over the fact that organic foods are more likely to be contaminated with bacteria, which just reinforces the importance of washing your veggies and fruits thoroughly, no matter how it was grown.

Good post, The reason that fertilisers dont have a lot of minerals is because those others are already enough in the ground. Altough strip farming might have made those other minerals less available (there are some studies showing that a lot of nutrients have decreased in our foods.) But this could happen just as well with poor organic farming.

ps. there might be some nutrients that'll be slightly lower in conventional farming like omega 3, but most of them not.

This is a summary of a study I read about recently on the benefits of eating organic produce:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/WBL02077/Organ...s-Minerals.html

Where's the link to the study.

Edited by joris

I personally follow the "Dirty Dozen" guide, buying organic for the dirty foods and conventional for the clean ones. Clean and dirty refer to how contaminated with pesticides the foods normally are. Check it out, if you haven't seen it before: http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

I LOVE that list!! I don't pay for most the groceries in my house, but having that list makes it easier to convince my mom that we really need to buy those things organic. I think #1 is celery, and honestly, organic celery is hardly more expensive than the regular celery.

If anyone wants to eat more organic, but can't afford entirely organic produce, follow the dirty/clean lists!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, we have to remember, that organic or not - the nutritional content of all produce will vary. you can look up the nutritional content of something on the internet, but the content of the actual piece of fruit/veg/nut/leafy green that you buy will be dependent on the soil where it was grown. For example - brazil nuts are one of the best sources of.. selenium I think it was?? BUT that is only true when the selenium is in sufficient quantity in the soil. There are some brazil nuts that have hardly any, because they were grown in poor soil. So the only way to ensure you get enough of anything is to eat a variety of fresh food. For every vitamin and mineral and whatever else there is, you should get it from multiple sources. And eat consistently healthy - get good stuff in your body all throughout the day.

If you can find a TRUELY organic farmer who grows real, natural produce then yes, it is a whole lot healthier. True organic farmers use NO chemicals at all, and no hormones or antibiotics on their animals. Anyone who thinks that all the chemicals used in todays mass produced food has no effect on health is sadly mistaken, its just common sense.

Another reason true organic fruit/veg is healthier is because there IS a higher percentage of nutrients included in the food. Modern produce is made up of much more water, which takes the place of the actual vitamins and minerals. This is down to the fact the food is grown in malnourished soil and also because the produce is taken out of the soil before it reaches its full maturity, therefore missing out on time to develop.

The problem is finding a real organic farmer. Many of todays 'organic' stamps just mean that natural chemicals are used inplace of synthetic.

I have heard something like this too. I can't remember if it was just between organic and non-organic, or gmo and non-gmo foods though.

example - If you look at the blueberries they sell in publix, sweetbay, walmart, whereever you go for non-organic produce, they are giant. They are also super sweet. If you look at the organic or wild-picked blueberries at the health food store, they are smaller and slightly less sweet.

The flavor is dulled by all that sugar. Wild blueberries and blackberries are so much better than the giant over sweet cultivated berries.

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

shes greatly overestimating the role of DNA on this...

khem! he not she ok? >_>

anyhow why do u think i overestimate role of dna? not that i say what i say are facts or something ofc aand i myself hope im wrong, but thats just how i see things right now, or else how would u explain such difference between us and regular ppl? :/

they dont take no special supps or bother about stuff so much or at all as us yet they get all their vits n shit from bad foods comparitevily easily :/

ofc maybe they get diseases n shit when they get old, but who cares about thaat!

We might be more sensitive to things, and screw our system up quicker. But its not like your dna just thought hey lets only absorb 20% of the zinc absorbed. Thats BS. Its way more environmental, and if its genetic it mostly is just that you get something bad quicker, not that you get it for sure and cant do shit about it.

Besides we were talking just nutrients, now you are talking acne.

We are prone to acne. We are probably more quickly sensitive for stuff and are more insulin resistant. That is in our genes but that doesnt mean we cant do anything about it.

sorry about the he/she thing.

Edited by joris

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

umz no i dont mean dna would make u absorb less vits (although anything is possible with weirdly coded dna uknow) but that ppl with stronger dna can get vits even from bad food, bcz their system n digestion n everything is powerful enough to do so even with complex food, while fe us with in some way weaker system (which is predetermined by dna?) constantly need to pamper ourselfs with proper, cleanest, easy to digest etc etc foods for getting the same amounts of vits.

basicalee we need to specially work on it while other ppl can simply dont give a shit and get the same stuff or more. >_>

well nutrients n stuff affect organ work, which affect hormons n stuff, which affect acne? @[email protected] idk but i thought its all connected, isnt it? afterall this thread is on acne site n all

again, i just speak from whatever comes in my mind ok? im not like saying hey i know fo sho or anything..