Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest frogskinshoelace

Who has used retin-a?

Guest frogskinshoelace

I was given a prescription by my derm today. After 4 smoothbeam, and 4 vbeam treatments, my severe red marks have made great progress in 6 months. Im trying to finish them off. Im getting 1 more treatment of each laser, and starting retin-a. How well does it work? How long does it take to kick in? Did you use retin a with anything else like I am?

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

ive used and still using rosehip oil overnight (which is supposed to be natural source of retin a) on all face, does nothing to redmarks, not that i specially monitored but well redmarks..still there >_>

what it did: reduced pores on nose somewhat, when i was using every night (im using it a bit rarer now) and i think also helped to diminish few (but pretty fresh tho) scars, idk its effects on acne, but when i use it alone with no other oils (this doesnt apply to products tho, imo) it doesnt break out me at all. :/ i havent used any retin-a products however so i cant say about those.

Retin-A has improved my red marks about 60-70%, but it was an ongoing improvement over the course of many months. I noticed an initial improvement after 3 weeks, and then I kept seeing small but steady improvement.

Everyone´s skin is different though, but generally Retin-A definitely can even out the skintone to a certain degree.

I used it for a little over 3 months and wasn't a fan, though my pores were the best they've looked in a while and my skin texture was smooth where it wasn't covered in Retin-A induced cysts, bumps, and whiteheads. But it just didn't work for my acne. There was no improvement EVER for me.

Used it for like 2-3 weeks, sucked bad. Just made my face even worse!

Guest frogskinshoelace
Used it for like 2-3 weeks, sucked bad. Just made my face even worse!

You didn't use it long enough, and you probably didn't use as directed if it made you worse.

I know it's not a quick fix. There is no quick fix for this, and it sounds like it is hit or miss. Every treatment is really. Some people don't respond to laser treatment, though I have very well. I plan on using it over the course of the next few months. Im hoping to be completely red mark free by May.

Lady- Did you start with the .05% or the .01%? I was given a prescription with 6 refills at .01%.

jpefive- Sorry it didn't work for you but I won't be using this for active acne. Ive got that 100% under control.

Edited by frogskinshoelace

Don't let anyone BS you. Retin-A does help with red marks. But like most treatments people say it does nothing because its not a treatment with overnight changes, and you might not even notice changes month by month. That is the nature of red marks though. I have been using Retin-A for a year and my red marks are MUCH better than they used to be and I noticed they had faded a noticeable amount in 6 months. It may take another year or two for them to go away completely, but its worth it.

(I also used AHA with Retin-A, and I used them both for Acne originally. Retin-A is the only thing that ever worked for my moderate to severe acne)

Retin-A has improved my red marks about 60-70%, but it was an ongoing improvement over the course of many months. I noticed an initial improvement after 3 weeks, and then I kept seeing small but steady improvement.

Everyone´s skin is different though, but generally Retin-A definitely can even out the skintone to a certain degree.

Edited by Packerfan785

Don't let anyone BS you. Retin-A does help with red marks. But like most treatments people say it does nothing because its not a treatment with overnight changes, and you might not even notice changes month by month. That is the nature of red marks though. I have been using Retin-A for a year and my red marks are MUCH better than they used to be and I noticed they had faded a noticeable amount in 6 months. It may take another year or two for them to go away completely, but its worth it.

(I also used AHA with Retin-A, and I used them both for Acne originally. Retin-A is the only thing that ever worked for my moderate to severe acne)

You didn't use it long enough either, it can take nearly 4 months for some people. My face was terrible for a couple of months when I was using Retin-A but there is no question it is easily worth it in the long run.

I definitely have used it long enough, I`m still using it (2 years now). It improved my skintone a whole lot, but some stubborn marks still required TCA peels. I am very fair, so any darkness or redness shows up so much more

Guest frogskinshoelace

This stuff had dried out my skin a lot after a few days of use. I took a day off and moisturized the **** out of it and it went back to normal. It is very strong.

Btw, Packers suck, go Eagles! :cool: