Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BM745

Does oily skin subside as one ages?

Just curious, I'm pretty sure 99% of my acne problem (clogged pores) has to do with the fact that my face is so oily. Well, combination really, but I only break out in the oily areas.

I've tried cleansers, and other things that claim to help oily skin, but every few hours, my face is slick and shiny again, and it's quite irritating.

So, I always thought acne was worst in the teenage years because that's when the oil-glands kick into overdrive. Does this mean they eventually settle down? Because they've been going strong for awhile. I started to get acne when I was 14. I can't remember when my face started to get so oily, but I'm pretty sure it's been just in the last 2 or 3 years. (I'm 21 now).

My parents and grandparents had beautiful skin. Not oily. No acne. What gives?

EDIT - But here's the thing, I was just reading some crap on the internet (yeah I know, not everything you read is true, but this made sense)

Maybe trying to dry out my face with BP, and harsh astringents to keep the oil gone is what's clogging pores? Because at least if I can SEE all that oil all over my face, I know where it is. And it's not trapped below the surface of my skin clogging all my pores.

Some people lose their acne yet remain to have oily skin. Techniqually it should subside. When your hormones are out of whack they produce excess oil. When your hormones are done, they should produce regular ammounts of oil.

What about oily skin at the age of 21? Is this still irregular adolescent hormonal activity, or something else?

I heard somewhere the hormones are usually done adjusting anywhere between 18-24. I wouldn't classify it "adult" acne until you were atleast 24..

Well, that's slightly encouarging I suppose. smile.gif Where'd you hear it? because I've heard different figures every time. First it's 21, then 18-25.. then any time before 30.

Some people lose their acne yet remain to have oily skin. Techniqually it should subside. When your hormones are out of whack they produce excess oil. When your hormones are done, they should produce regular ammounts of oil.

all derms say that oily skin, is skin what will give you a verry good and not wrinkled face at a later age even up to 60 years of age. smile.gif so you won't get acne but only benefits at a later age. TIME WE GET PAYED BACK FOR THIS BULLCRAP!!!

Yes, but who cares? If the excess oil is responsible for the clogged pores giving me all my acne? I'd rather have dry skin.

I've heard many things.

That oil production slows down to normal levels once your hormones from puberty settle down, and your skin returns to normal..

Or that your skin will continue to be oily forever. sad.gif

You have 2 options.

1. Do something about your skin now so that it dries up completely when you get older. Consequences are that your skin will eventually become immune to the acne bacteria when you become older and your skin will look more natural and less damaged.

2. Do nothing, let the acne get worse, hope it goes away by itself. Consequences are your still left with oily skin after the acne has been through with your skin, chances are that by now you have much bigger and deeper scars which will take longer to heal and it might not go away til your into your mid-20s thus causing further embarrassment and psychological trauma.

And anyway, your puberty hormones dont settle down until after your 25 if your a male. So I dont know about you but I wouldn't wait that long to find out mate.