Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SLSL

To everyone that has used Retin-A

Hi,

Some of you may remember me- some of you may not. I had a huge dilemma with spontaneous scarring (and still do). I was devastated and poured my feelings out onto this site. My face was nearly flawless with the use of Retin-A Micro, then with continued use- my skin started pitting out of nowhere (when I had no acne). I'm not trying to scare anyone off from it; I know it has helped a lot of people. It has just been a nightmare for me, and every day I wish I was never prescribed it. My face looks worse than it has ever been- I feel as if I even looked better with my severe acne all over.

Anyways, to my point, I've talked to some people on here that has had the same problem. I was just wondering- to all of the people who have been through this- were you actually using Retin-A or was it Retin-A Micro? I feel as if there may be a difference.

Thanks for reading :)

I used retin-a, but I had scarring before that time. I know my worst scarring happened from cystic scars. I think it was the inflammation caused by the cystic acne that created so much damage to the dermis. With retin-a, your skin is thinned and on top of that, it affects the inflammatory response and increases your risk of scarring. That's just my two cents.

Told you so. Sometimes I get tired of telling people Retin-A might give them scars.

I used a couple of generic brands and the last one I used the longest was Retin-A Micro.

I only had severe acne for a period of maybe 2 - 3 months, then it went away by itself. It left me with a lot of stubborn red marks, but no pitted scars or at the very worse some very insignificant shallow scars.

I started using the Retin-A maybe a year later after seeing the red marks weren't fading fast enough. Shortly after I started getting pitted scars and I would scar very easily from even little insignificant pimples.

No difference, regular Retin-A and Retin-A Micro will both leave your skin prone to scarring easily.

Guest bangandthedirtisgone

No difference, regular Retin-A and Retin-A Micro will both leave your skin prone to scarring easily.

Edited by bangandthedirtisgone

Retin-a, caused major redness, itchiness and peeling for me and thats when it all went downhill from there, i have TONS, of tiny some large dark pigmented marks from this but no scars

anything that can help you rejuvenate your skin can also lead on to further scarring it, since it in a way tests your skins ability to heal which if some way is compromised,will definitly scar in addition to the irritation that the agent would be rendering on you skin.

most of the ointments shouldnt be use continuously for more then 3 months for the risk of developing irritation.

Is there any actual proof or is this just hearsay? Personal experiences can be misleading. I read a couple of books, latest by Dr N. Lowe who writes retin-A is effective against antiaging, as well as clearing acne. He does not mention anything about its potential to cause scarring.

In fact the main cause of scarring is acne itself.

If you read anywhere that retin-A has such side effects - which completely defeats its purpose, then can you let me know as I'm currently using it as an antiaging agent.

Yes, I read books and have books that say how Retin-A has been used for decades as anti-aging and acne treatment.

That's why I used it in the first place and was very excited to use, I thought can't go wrong anti-acne and anti-aging.

There are tons of real people here who have reported getting scars after using Retin-A and did not have them before.

There was a study posted that showed if used for a short period of time can be beneficial. Used for longer and it leads to poorer healing.

Don't take my word for it, you're welcome to try it if you want to.

There was a study posted that showed if used for a short period of time can be beneficial. Used for longer and it leads to poorer healing.

This. I had severe acne all over my face since I was 13? I finally got prescribed Retin-A Micro and it took 1-2 years to get it all under control. Last year is finally when I had perfect skin. I'm talking about no trace of acne- it was perfectly smooth. This is when I should've stopped using RAM. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. But then March of this year, everything went down hill. I started getting all of this pitted scarring. I feel like I've told this story hundreds of times, but people don't believe me /disagree that it had anything to do with Retin-A/ etc. so I've stayed quiet about it. I guess it's all trial and error. 'Your results may vary'. But if something like this happens to someone else, which I hope it doesn't, alls I can say is 'I told you so'...

i have felt exactly what you have , overzealous use of topicals is always dangerous.

i have had flawless skin even a much younger skin( say 8 year younger,given though it might have been my genes too) with the continuous use of BP. but in the end i ruined it all,lol not that people would call it a ruined skin but with my standard it is.

i have had Dermatology lectures during my college and professor used to warn us that one should not use a same topical agent continuously for more then 3 months, i have forgotten the reference he gave for that , neither i have read it anywhere but i can vividly remember telling him that ,and vaguely remember him telling about the risk of malignancy with the continuous use of topicals especially irritants.

By the way scarring is a documented side effect of retina so dont see anybody contesting your experience.

My dermatologist actually prescribed me a retional to help with my shallow scarring. He said that he had seen quite a few patients scarring improve with the use of it. I'm pretty sure accutane lead to a lot of my current scarring so I'm still tossing up if I should use it or not.

Guest bangandthedirtisgone

Lily, if ure not getting the desired effect with conventional medicine, then mebe try alternative medicine (but dont go spending too much money on it, or get ureself into debt).

Not a good idea to go through life depressed. With alternative therapy they treat the whole-self, so there is a feel good factor there. I guess thats what alternative medicine is there for - when conventional medicine falls short and people need hope, its an ideal route to try.

You never know, you might even get some benefit from it. But the important thing is for you to improve ure mood, and to do well with ure studies. A cure might be around the corner!

Guest Timehealsall
anything that can help you rejuvenate your skin can also lead on to further scarring it, since it in a way tests your skins ability to heal which if some way is compromised,will definitly scar in addition to the irritation that the agent would be rendering on you skin.

most of the ointments shouldnt be use continuously for more then 3 months for the risk of developing irritation.

Does this apply to 2.5 % benzoyl peroxide, alpha hydroxy acids (10 percent glycolic acid) as well and BHAS? If it does, how the hell are we supposed to control our acne?

Retin-A never gave me new scars, but it did bring OLD scars to the surface for a while.

It was very odd.

Edited by Robert

I was using retin-a-micro .1 and that happened! I actually used it to get rid of my pigmentation, but it didn't remove any.. I actually got a few more from my skin peeling lol.. I also got a few pitted acne scars out of the blue also! The weird thing is the previous shallow scars rose up a bit and stayed that way.. Kind of weird, the benefits canceled out the extra scarring etc outcome.. Nothing dermarolling can't take care of so i'm not too down.. For you though, having flawless skin and this happening... maybe try tca cross or single-needling with cp? that might help

i know that retin a and retinoids like tazorac as well, there is a lot of mixed info out there in general...

I was wondering is there conclusive evidence that retinoids thin the skin out? If so, could be a reason for increased issues...

OR if they are revealing underlying skin issues by the skin peeling effect.

This. I had severe acne all over my face since I was 13? I finally got prescribed Retin-A Micro and it took 1-2 years to get it all under control. Last year is finally when I had perfect skin. I'm talking about no trace of acne- it was perfectly smooth. This is when I should've stopped using RAM. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. But then March of this year, everything went down hill. I started getting all of this pitted scarring. I feel like I've told this story hundreds of times, but people don't believe me /disagree that it had anything to do with Retin-A/ etc. so I've stayed quiet about it. I guess it's all trial and error. 'Your results may vary'. But if something like this happens to someone else, which I hope it doesn't, alls I can say is 'I told you so'...

I wonder if you developed a sudden, true contact allergy to the tretinoin. Have you reported these side-effects to the FDA? The FDA insert doesn't mention any long term studies of tretinoin use, but maybe Pubmed has something relevant. Sorry you had to go through this :(

Wow! How awful! I've read about Green Cream here on the forum alot and have been contemplating trying it...it is a retinol I believe...would it be likely to be similar? I'm hoping if I wasn't using it continuously it might be beneficial.