Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
falnhart

Best Way to Minimize Enlarged Skin Pores?

The pores on my nose enlarged for some reason after I started Accutane 9 weeks ago for occasional breakouts. My skin wasn't oily to begin with, as I was already on Accutane 9 yrs. ago, which prob. helped reduce the oil glands. About the second week into Accutane, I noticed dry, white residue coming out of my nose pores, which I rubbed off for the most part. I'm thinking it was dry oil, or dead skin? Whatever, the pores are noticable TO ME, as they were hardly there before.. What can I do to get them back to size of invisibility?

Also, I have 3 more weeks of Accutane (80 mg/day) and wondering whether I should discontinue? I don't want the pores to permanently enlarge and wondering whether Accutane will do that? Or maybe it's because the oil glands have been reduced too much? That wouldn't make sense though since dry skin is the best candidate for the smallest of pores. Any suggestions/comments?

-Nic

Glycolic acid did miracles on the enlarged pores that I had on my nose. They were gone. This happened around May and they haven't come back yet.

Did thta happen the first time around on accutane, falnhart? I notice that when i use products to clean out my pores they initially look bigger because it's just the oil coming to the surface and then they shrink back again...pores don't really change size but i guess their appearance can be affected by things like medication which helps get rid of clogs. Also, my pores look bigger when my skin is sensitive and irritated it's like they literally do get bigger but they visrtually disappear once the irritaion does...Ask your derm, maybe they know what's up?

I really don't remember whether it happened during my first session of Accutane 9 yrs ago, as I was too devastated with the loss of my brother.. I do know that 3 months ago, before my second session of Accutane, my nose skin was perfect. No visible pores.. I have also noticed now that some that looked large last week are invisible now.

I think that the skin on nose has better healing powers than other parts of the face. Glycolic acid did wonders on the enlarged pores of my nose. On my face it seems that the temples are the less advantaged places and they seem to respond less faster than other areas.

hey does anybody know where i can get some glycolic acid? It seems to me its very good for scar healing ph34r.gif Is it over the counter or do I have to get a prescription? And also is glycolic acid good for shallow physical scars? please help! bb_neutral.gif

There are tons of places that sell glycolic acid peels. You might try using a search engine such as yahoo.com and type in "glycolic peel" and see what comes up. Glycolic acid peels exfoliate the skin and may help the appearance of superficial scars and red marks. Everyone's results are different.

Glycolic acid did miracles on the enlarged pores that I had on my nose. They were gone. This happened around May and they haven't come back yet.

Aquaphor also has great, cheap, relatively high concentrate Gylcolic treatments available. Drugstore.com adn Eckerds sells them in the US.

Jenn

hey falnhart,

if some of the pores that looked large now appear invisible then it's probably just some gunk surfacing. i get thhat with exfoliaters, like i panic and think oh no my pores look so much bigger! but the stuff is being pushed out, surfacing whatever and the pore goes back to invisible or tiny again. i also notice that I mistake my pores for scars ofeten does that happen to people? i think i have a ton of tiny scars but they're just clogged pores?

What concentration of GA do you use?

I also have this problem and I have TCA which doesn't help. But isn't TCA simular to Glycolic acid ? If not maybe I'll try it out.

And what about 20 % Salicylic acid wouldn't that even work beter?

SA is very good at unclogging your pores, so it makes them looking smaller. On the other hand GA is more recommended for reducing the pores among other things.

I have sensitive skin, and was wondering whether GA would be too strong for my skin type. Could you recommend some GA products? The GA product which you are using currently, is it a moisturizer or tonic?

I have sensitive skin, and was wondering whether GA would be too strong for my skin type. Could you recommend some GA products? The GA product which you are using currently, is it a moisturizer or tonic?