Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaerid

Is anyone else overly obsessive compulsive about their skin?

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that cares so much that I've actually put a 1-foot leash on my entire life.

My overly obsessive nature with my skin has forced a lot of things that I've wanted to enjoy, or experience, in my life to take a back seat. It's easy to say "Well, just care less!" But, really, that's so much easier said than done. I, nor anybody, can entirely control their subconscious... and that's exactly where all of this stems from! I analyze every single aspect that could possibly influence my skin and completely, and I mean "completely", attempt to remove it from my life.

I've essentially created these "rules", or exclusionary acts of self deprivation, that guide my life. For example:

Diet:

1.) Dairy affects acne.

I haven't had diary in 6 years. I haven't had cream, butter, or anything. I haven't had a drop of ice-cream in those 6 years. I haven't had chocolate milk. These are things that I loved... these were my -favorite- foods, but because my skin is more important to me, I have done away with them.

2.) High glycemic-load meals affect acne.

Good-bye large pasta meals, potato dumplings, huge bowls of oatmeal. Goodbye sugar, beer, etc.

Stress:

When I say "stress", I'm not referring exclusively to "Oh man... I'm totally stressing for that test next week!". I mean anything that provokes strong emotions, or adrenaline rushes. Things that produce adrenaline rushes such as roller-coasters, public-speaking, or even performing an instrument in public have been totally removed from my life.

1.) Guitar

I've wanted to play the guitar for YEARS. I would -kill- to play the guitar, but I know that when I do... I get nervous! This nervous feeling for hours on end plays a toll on my skin... and as a result, I have never been able to learn. Call me a pessimist, but something tells me that I will -never- learn, because to my subconscious, my skin is more important.

2.) Video-games

Video-games increase cortisol and other stress hormones. These increase acne. Thus, no video-games!

3.) Horror movies

Horror movies increase cortisol and other stress hormones. These increase acne. Thus, horror movies!

4.) Friends

Self explanatory

5.) Dating

Self explanatory

Misc. Lifestyle Adjustments:

1.) Hormonal fluctuations affect acne.

Good-bye frequent masturbation.

==========================

I can name off at least another two-dozen more aspects that I use to tightly control my life... but man, my fingers kind of hurt. This is just crap off the top of my head.

Edited by Mirrfiak

oh yea. i never touch my face, always put sun block and know every detail about my skin like a map.

And i only eat fruits and veggies...i only looked at your title sorry

Thanks Yvonne, but that didn't really help... at all. Plus, you don't even have acne, (which further baffles me to why you're even on this website), so you could never relate to me or my feelings. Run along now, troll.

Edited by Mirrfiak

I spend about an hour at night treating my skin and during the day i will check to see if spots have gone down or appeared but at the same time be very cautious as to not touch my face as much as possible.

Na I don't obsesses much about my skin. Though it affects my self esteem ( its not that bad) but i still eat carbs , walk more, dairy (yum ice cream). But i gave up frequent junk food that might affect my face. Its mostly my stress that affects its ( Im 15 i have very large amount of stress). Its all about eating in minimum amount and taking that foods that might affect u and limiting your stress. I dont think its food that affects your acne but then again we are all different. I know for sure that mines self esteem stress thats causing my acne. My only advice is limit your intake and make ur junk food once a week or month thing. And drink water, frequent walks, and find whats may be stressing you out U might be stressed right now by not be able to do what you want and u don't notice it.

Na I don't obsesses much about my skin. Though it affects my self esteem ( its not that bad) but i still eat carbs , walk more, dairy (yum ice cream). But i gave up frequent junk food that might affect my face. Its mostly my stress that affects its ( Im 15 i have very large amount of stress). Its all about eating in minimum amount and taking that foods that might affect u and limiting your stress. I dont think its food that affects your acne but then again we are all different. I know for sure that mines self esteem stress thats causing my acne. My only advice is limit your intake and make ur junk food once a week or month thing. And drink water, frequent walks, and find whats may be stressing you out U might be stressed right now by not be able to do what you want and u don't notice it.

Same for me :P I'm your age, and now I'm really stressed out for finals and it shows on my face. I do feel sad when I look in mirrors and stuff, but I'm not overly obsessed. The only reason I

'm not obsessed is because I'm distracted by other things in my life, though.

Water helps a lot, not exactly with acne but with your general health. It makes your skin seem more glowy over a long period of time, and I've found when I'm dehydrated I get sick more often and get more stressed out.

Pretty sure you must be my long lost twin brother. I know every single mark on my face at any hour of the day like I'm going to be asked to pin point them sometime. My skin also is the center of my universe. I plan my days according to my skin... when I want to wash it, make sure I have enough time to apply my products etc etc etc. It's so freakin hard! I never do ANYTHING or go anywhere that I don't absolutely have to because all i want to do is stay home and treat my skin. :(

Pretty sure you must be my long lost twin brother. I know every single mark on my face at any hour of the day like I'm going to be asked to pin point them sometime. My skin also is the center of my universe. I plan my days according to my skin... when I want to wash it, make sure I have enough time to apply my products etc etc etc. It's so freakin hard! I never do ANYTHING or go anywhere that I don't absolutely have to because all i want to do is stay home and treat my skin. :(

Yep, that's me right there. I usually don't "hang out" with "friends" because I can't know for sure what's going to happen (wtf?). For example, I could... get sweaty or something, and then I'd have to shower... and then reapply acne medication... and blah. I just figure it's not worth it, so... yeah.

Sometimes when I'm sitting here popping 20 vitamins in the morning, weighing my food (another controlling habit I've added to calculate Glycemic-Loads"), and examining every part of my skin.... I sometimes laugh to myself and think..."WTF am I doing..?"

I envy certain aspects that my brother possesses. He's the polar opposite of me, essentially. He has worse skin than me, eats and does anything he wants, and.... doesn't. give. a. shit.

Edited by Mirrfiak

Yep, that's me right there. I usually don't "hang out" with "friends" because I can't know for sure what's going to happen (wtf?). For example, I could... get sweaty or something, and then I'd have to shower... and then reapply acne medication... and blah. I just figure it's not worth it, so... yeah

-----------------

Are you reading my mind? ha Seriously what if someone suggests we go outside and I don't have my sunscreen on? Or we hang out too long and I miss a dose of my meds.. not that I have a huge bunch of "friends" to hang out with in the first place. My best friends are: Retin A Micro and moisturizer and sometime Epiduo... it works but it makes my face more red than anything so its more of a love hat relationship.

^And now I just spent ten minutes reflecting on how my skin care regimen is like friends... I sound crazy... ha

I spent a weekend with friends a little while ago, and I--of course--brought a few days' worth of vitamins along (wasn't going to risk anything by not taking them). So, at the usual time, I snuck into the dorm bathroom and covertly untied my plastic "baggie" of pills.

Of course, someone with whom I was unfamiliar decided to walk in at that moment. I was, I realized, standing there at the bathroom counter hunched over a plastic bag of pills. We shared a look, and he walked back out.