Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaniellaK

4Months - from Cysts to Blackheads?

I follow the Regime religiously! I've been on it for 4 months solid!

It was hard right up until Thanksgiving. But I stuck through it - you guys were right!

I started The Regime because I suffered from painful cysts - I started getting them when I was 19. I would always get them in the 'hollow' of my cheeks. Just under my cheek bones and/or on my cheeks next to my nose. I got them about once or twice a month, along with constant smaller acne. It would take weeks for them to heal properly.

I'm confused about my skin! (And I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere else! I searched and didn't find anything)

Currently, my skin is relatively clear. I haven't had any severe cystic acne in the past month! My skin is still flaking (which I'm fine with - I just put on more lotion. Also I live in an area that's super windy and cold! So I expect it!) But, as my acne dries and clears up I'm finding deep, wide filled pores below the skin. They appear to be blackheads, and they are in the areas that I have always had cysts. (Hollow and side of cheeks)

I haven't tried to clean them out.. I'm afraid to mess with my face at all, and these areas are especially sensitive. But I'm wondering if the blackheads could have caused my cysts? And if that is the case should I be doing anything else to clean them out? (I've never seen them before? It's like they were buried deep in my skin - and all the peeling is revealing them.)

I have large pores.. and I'm okay with that as long as they stay clean, and don't keep getting infected and inflamed.

Should I just continue to do The Regimen and wait it out - or should I address the blackened/enlarged pores differently? I thought I just had cystic acne, now I'm not sure what's going on with my face!

Here's what I've been doing so far:

Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser

On the spot (all over my face!)

Vanicream lite - moisturizer

Morning & Night

No makeup, or chapstick - which stinks but I'm dealing!

I exercise 5 days a week. I use bluetooth so my cell isn't rubbing against my face. I wear my hair up, wash pillow covers, blankets and towels several times a week.. and I do my best to keep my face off everything while I sleep!

Thank you :-) Sorry for the super long post!