Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryan C

Dan's New Moisturizer

From what I have found, glycerin is an ingredient in most moisturizers that serves the purpose not to moisturize, but to prevent moisture loss from the skin's surface. The new moisturizer seems to moisturize well for a few hours, but then it just simply wears off. I think that it IS moisturizing, but I don't think the ingredients that it contains prevent moisture loss. What seems to be happening is that it moisturizes all in one burst, and the moisture escapes from the skin very quickly after it is applied. Although I do not know much about methyl gluceth-20, I can infer that it does not hold in moisture nearly as well as does glycerin. The "tanning effect" from the new moisturizer is not from the yellow color, it is simply dry, irritated skin. When dead skin accumulates on the skin's surface, the skin tends to become blotchy and, in our case, more tan.

I can also infer that the majority of the people who use the new moisturizer with good results are people who have been using the Regimen for several years. These people have become accustomed to benzoyl peroxide to an extent that a moisturizer such as Dan's new formula may work. However, considering the complaints and product reviews, I think it is safe to say that newcomers, as well as those who have been on the Regimen for several months, will not find this moisturizer to work when using such a large amount of benzoyl peroxide.

All in all, the moisturizer does not lock in moisture to our skin, which is why many of us have found it useless. It sucks having to go out and find a new one, but I think that eventually Dan will realize that it is simply not working for us. Although I am disappointed in the new moisturizer, I still respect Dan's perseverence and hard work in trying to help people with acne. He does not have to spend his time making products for acne, so what he has given us goes greatly appreciated.

As far as replacement moisturizers, I don't know. Lac Hydrin 5 and CeraVe moisturizing lotion have the best reviews on the site. I am currently using CeraVe, but I am somewhat worried about Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20, which is listed on most databases as a comedogenic combination of ingredients. I think it should be fine though, because a lot of people use Cetaphil and many other moisturizers that have the same combination. However, CeraVe is not oily at all and feels good on the skin.

I would like to know what you guys think regarding this subject, because I hope that maybe the new moisturizer isn't hopeless.

Edited by Ryan C

Guest Timehealsall

ryan i think dan still sell his old moisturizer, albeit in travel form.

i think the new moisturizer is great. ive been on the regimen for about 3 and a half months now, and i used cetaphil moisturizer for the first 2 months. i never used the old DKR one, there was so much hype for the new moisturizer that i decided to try it out. the reason why it works for me is becuase my skin is almost as oily as it gets. especially during the summer. DKR didnt even do much to reduce the oilyness. it would dry me up at first, but i would just get oily again in about half an hour. the new moisturizer seemed to balance out my skin, it was great. i do get a bit flaky as the day goes on, but its a thousand times better than being an oil slick

The new moisturizer doesn't cut it for me either. I end up flakey and with overall rough skin by the end of the day. I started using Dan's AHA at night instead of the yellow moisturizer and it works great. When I get up in the morning my skin is still moisturized.

I'm worried that using AHA twice a day could be a bad thing. Also, I don't really want increased sun sensitivity. So I was thinking about switching to CeraVe. Do you like it thus far?

That makes a lot of sense. It is tanning my face and i know its the moisturizer because i use a different treatment on my forehead and its still turning tan. I'm just so afraid of other moisturizers clogging my pores because both cetaphil and cerave did.

From what I have found, glycerin is an ingredient in most moisturizers that serves the purpose not to moisturize, but to prevent moisture loss from the skin's surface. The new moisturizer seems to moisturize well for a few hours, but then it just simply wears off. I think that it IS moisturizing, but I don't think the ingredients that it contains prevent moisture loss. What seems to be happening is that it moisturizes all in one burst, and the moisture escapes from the skin very quickly after it is applied. Although I do not know much about methyl gluceth-20, I can infer that it does not hold in moisture nearly as well as does glycerin.

Hearing this, I can't help but wonder that maybe the moisturizer would be fine if Dan just added a bit of glycerin to it? Maybe all the calming and soothing ingredients would be able to off-set the reddening that high glycerin moisturizers tend to give people? eh?

Paula:

I do like CeraVe thus far. It is not a miracle moisturizer (well at least it hasn't proved to be yet), but it does work pretty good. Non-greasy after it dries, and with some jojoba you won't see flakes almost all day. It has broken a few people out (if that is truly what they can attribute it to), but the reviews seems to speak for themselves. It gets a 4.5 out of 5 out of almost 100 reviews.

Chikyuu:

I'm not sure how adding just glycerin would work with the moisturizer, and I surely wouldn't know where to find it. However, a lot of people mix their moisturizers. Maybe using Dan's (like a pump and a half or two), let it dry, then using a moisturizer with glycerin. That would provide the calming/soothing benefits of dan's as well as the moisture, then lock in moisture with the other moisturizer. I can't promise anything here, but that doesn't sound like too bad of a plan.