Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Is anyone on a low-lectin diet? Any improvement?

So, I am wondering if anyone on this forum has been on a lectin-free or low-lectin diet.

Also, if lectins damage the villi by attaching to it, would taking Glutamate (reputedly known for strengthening the intestines) help reverse the effects of lectin damage?

Edited by Dotty1

I try to stay far away from lectins after what I learned about them. Can't exactly remember what, something about them separating white cells clogging the skin. The only lectins I eat are in peanuts. Pure peanut butter. Which I'm on my last jar now and am going to switch to almond butter. From what I know lectins just prolong the healing process, so I'm going to try going completely lectin free.

Right now I haven't had a new break out in months, just still have the red mark damage from years of acne. My skin is healing quickly over the past month, so going to see how things go without any lectins.

^Yes. I've referred you to that link several times. It is full of info on the worst sources of the most damaging lectins (there are many and they aren't equal), preparation methods that reduce lectins, and food combinations that bind to lectins rendering them harmless, and info on healing damage. And there was a lot of work involved in compiling all that info.

Lectins are in all foods, btw. But most concentrated in seeds and products from grain fed animals.

Wow I've seen that topic before, but just now read through the first 5 pages. Great stuff man! So I seen dotty comment that aloe vera has lectins in it. Yet in the sources you provide they suggest taking aloe vera. I have been taking aloe vera supplement every day for around 2 months, do you have a clear cut answer to aloe vera?

Also, would peanuts be OK if I soaked them over night, roasted them, and then processed them into butter?

Wow I've seen that topic before, but just now read through the first 5 pages. Great stuff man! So I seen dotty comment that aloe vera has lectins in it. Yet in the sources you provide they suggest taking aloe vera.

There was some implication that consuming plants high in mucin help restore the mucin lining in your gut. Such as the study that mentioned okra.

And yes, there are lectins in aloe vera because there are lectins in all foods. But there are many kinds of lectins.

Also, would peanuts be OK if I soaked them over night, roasted them, and then processed them into butter?

It would make them better. But I can't say if it would make them 'ok.' Like we commented in the thread, we were unable to find such detailed studies.

Edited by alternativista

I read all nine pages, but I'm wondering how many people are soaking all the grains, legumes or seeds/nuts they eat and if they have noticed any results.

I read all nine pages, but I'm wondering how many people are soaking all the grains, legumes or seeds/nuts they eat and if they have noticed any results.

I can't testify to the soaking/sprouting of grains, legumes, seeds & nuts- I can however testify to the general avoidance of said foods.

I can't say because they don't cause any noticeable problems if I don't soak them. Although I've rarely consumed significant amounts of legumes that weren't purchased dried, then soaked and cooked. And they are usually consumed with foods that contain the glyco-nutrients that bind them (and why is everyone ignoring the glyco-nutrients/traditional food combination info? Gathering all that info took a lot of work).

I eat a lot of legumes, nuts and seeds, though. Sometimes the nuts and seeds are soaked, sometimes they aren't. And I had fermented brown rice for breakfast most days for months last spring to summer.

Edited by alternativista

One of my cheeks just cleared :D:D, the other one is on the way. Dont know if its the lectings/gluten/GI/dairy though.

Edited by joris