Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LeStooge

How supportive are your parents?

Last week i ordered the regimen for the first time.

I first read about Benzoyl peroxide in July and asked my mom to buy it for me. She DIDNT buy me the BP said i have no idea what im putting on my face and baught me neutragena visibly clear and a £150 UV light treatment box. The box was quite affective and got rid of 3/4 of my acne but i need to use it for about an hour each day and i dont have the time for it. The Neutragena however was one of the worst things ive ever tried and i broke out horribly. I was lucky i started the light box treatment at the same time.

Soon after that, I went to my dermatologist with my mom and i asked about tetranoin (accutane) just out of curiosity and he pointed out Retin-A which i really wanted to try. Instead, my mom insisted i went on minocyclin. Minocyclin is the cause of my facial redness and does not help with my acne at all! I tested it for 3 months doing nothing but minocyclin last year and it was a pointless *** drug. But i just pretend to take it now.

Then i tried to approach her about the BP again in September. She got me neutragena again :P lol

For a while, i was just using the light ray treatment, Emu oil, sudacrem, vaseline,

Freederm(terrible product btw),toothpaste... Anything that would work.

But then my Grandad past away and i really wanted to make a change. I got a haircut and approached my mom again about BP, specifically the regimen. I got neutragena again .. ARGH lol

Straight away i was like "MOM GTFO AND GET ME BP".

For the first time in 5 months she finally bought me Panoxyl 2.5 BP and I was over the moon, it worked amazingly. But it was too powerful and last week i was running low and Monday i decided i had to approach my parents about getting the regimen.

I explained why i wanted the Regimen: good evidence to back its effectiveness up. Cheaper than light ray treatment. I have the time to apply it...My mom firstly had a go at me for using up the Panoxyl so soon. TBF i did make it last a whole month and a half! My mom then went on about how the minocyclin(which ive been taking on-off for two years with just 7 months gap) would eventually make me clear. But i said "Eventually isnt good enough" and when i explained it caused my redness and nausea she froze and agreed to buy me BP...

So because my mom is not good with the hoohaa of technology i had to ask my dad to bring Acne.org up. He said straight away: "This site looks dodgy son". I was like WTF dad this is the best acne site ive ever found in about 3 years of browsing. Then he said that the whole ordering process sounded dodgy and that i should stick to minocyclin (repeat of argument with mom). Then he had a fit because it was coming from the U.S (lol racist dad sorry) and there was no way i was going to get it from the USA. Finally i persuaded him and then the price hit us with the regimen being less money than the postage. He had calmed down by this stage but continued to say "your gonna get ripped off son"...

Then the reciept page didnt load and he lost it again :P we must have waited about 2 minutes for it to load and he was like "NOPE THEYRE STEALING MY DETAILS, IM NOT DOING THIS!" But then i had to persuade him to wait and about half an hour later it finally loaded. After 2 hours of first adding the regimen to the cart.

- 6 months later

No more shall they buy me Neutragena :)

Hopefully the regimen will arrive tomorrow!

But i dread to think about when i need re-supplying of the regimen in a few months "/

What about y'all, d'you have any issues with parents about acne treatements. I love my parents to bits but tbh i think that because my moms a nurse she thinks she knows whats best for me. But years of buying me the wrong products and putting me on pointless meds is why i think differently.

Edited by Randomstuffs261

Hi Randomstuffs261

Firstly: LMFAO. That post was hilarious. Oh, I love parents XD XD XD

I think it's pretty sweet of your mum to buy you a UV light box! Jeez, I WISH my mum would have done that! I was brought up by just my mum and generally she's not one to focus on things like acne. If I mentioned my skin was getting me down she'd just say "don't be silly, it's not that bad" or tell me that a pimple was bad because I "touched it" (so infuriating when I don't touch/squeeze my spots!). She thinks I over-react about my skin. I think she doesn't understand as she's never had spots. *sigh*

Anyway. I guess my point is that a) parents are sometimes infuriating and b) it sounds like your mum and dad are just looking out for you. BP is a harsh product and your mum may not understand the logic of putting something like that on your skin (as effective as it may be). Perhaps you could get her to read the introduction Dan wrote about why he started the regimen and all the stuff he tried before resorting to that? I think she made the right decision in stopping you from taking accutane too. Unless your skin is really bad or you have severe adult acne, I doubt the side effects will be worth it. Plus sometimes the acne still comes back after accutane.

Good luck, let me know how it all goes! x

Edited by MissMeh

Ha! I definitely lol'd a few times :D

YES! I know exactly what you mean. My parents don't understand at all, its not something you choose to have or you can just get rid of in the blink of an eye. My mom thinks that its my fault. No matter what it is, its always something like: "mayb if you didn't eat junk food all the time" (i hardly ever do this) or"well if you quit picking at it" or "if you got some more rest" etc etc etc... i do all of this.

iuwghBVIHUFHUFXIOQR! She doesn't get that i would cut off my arm for clear skin :(

Yeah i love my parents but buying me that neutragena stuff and putting me on that drug was NOT cool. Especially when my mom was always like "your braking out SON!" - No crap you poisoned me with minocyclin and baught me something that turns small spots into cysts - 3 TIMES after suggesting BP.

Anyway :P

Yeah my mom openly confronted me saying my masturbation was causing acne. Incase my protestant mother forgot, im CATHOLIC and i actually dont Wankerbate due to Weligious Weasons.

"Just sign up for paypal, its really easy and you wont have to deal with ur parents anymore"

I wont have to deal with my parents anymore? sounds like a contract killer to me!

anyway im too young for paypal and i dont have any money anyway.

Ahhh parents. :]

I suggest that you warn them ahead of time about the regimen and how it works. As far as I know it can and probably will get worse the first 2 or 3 months, it's probably a good idea to explain why to them before you ask for another order or they might not want to do it. Print out all the FAQ's and either give it to them or keep it for yourself so you always have the answers. If you keep being persistent it sounds like you should be able to continue with it. I would just say keep trucking and make sure they know what's going on so they don't think the regimen isn't working. besssst of luck! And please make time to use your light box, omg, how many of us would kill for that!!!!!

I'm fortunate to have incredibly supportive parents... I'm so glad that they can understand the kind of crap I'm going through because I -know- not many others would put up with my crazy shit.

My parents don't mention anything about my skin anymore, and that is the way i like it. Treating me as if there was no problem, i appreciate that of them.

My acne and oily skin has never been sever, but its just annoying as hell. My mom has never had acne so she doesn't understand anything about it and doesn't know much about it. She used to think it was diet that caused it until I started getting it and it was definetly not from my diet cause I eat pretty healthy. And she didn't believe me when I told her that oily skin causes acne too. And my dads kinda cool about it, but he doesn't have much good advice except to shave more often which exfoliates my skin more. My mom used to be a bitch about it though and buy me those acne free packs and I told her I couldn't use them cause my skin's too sensitive and she would get pissed cause I wasted it. When I'm more open with my mom though she's a little more supportive and just recently helped me find a really good face wash for me.

Dohoho.

Reminds me of my mom, although i didn't have to deal with her suggesting stuff, since my brother got acne before i did.

-You should try alcohol, i heard rubbing alcohol helps-

-Hmm, maybe vinegar, try vinegar-

-Baking soda-

-oh my dad suggested this bar soap, says one of his clients makeup artists suggested it, and it works amazingly-

-What about scrubs? st. ives has a good one, or maybe neutrogena, or clean and clear-

-Try this mask (queene heleens mint julep)-

-I swear its your diet, and you should excercise more-

Its funny because he wouldn't do any of it for a long period of time, he'd do it like, once to show her, and never touched it ever again, and every time we went to walmart or target, she'd buy lots of cleansers or masks, and they all just sat in the bathroom.

his eventually cleared up, and then i broke out, and she started suggesting it all over again, i ended up trying this 130 dollar acne kit, and while it kind of worked, it smelled horrible, and the entire first month or two of dan's regimen, she kept suggesting i go back to it because it -cleared up my skin beautifully- when it really didn't.

BET'CHA FEEL BAD NOW, HUH MOM? MY SKIN IS AMAZING NOW, SCREW YOU.

<3 my mom >.>

My parents are so dam Asian they scared to use their credit cards online so dam gay until i begged like 10000 times xD. But other than that they are pretty supportive both are trying to find ways to help me.

"THEY'RE STEALING MY DETAILS!"

Oh goodnezz, my parents were like that as well when I first started to buy stuff online, and they were even more sketchy about buying things like acne products and vitamins online. "I'd rather buy them in store because at least we know what we're getting!" This is absolutely true, you get less bang for the buck, (depending on the retailer) difficult/no return processes, and the occasional employee who asks you if you need help when you'd think they wouldn't want to ask you when you're in the acne section. I think a lot of this is because of the stuff they watch on TV, which brings me to my next point.

My mom loves Dr.Oz, but she can't really process all the information that he gives her in one episode. Sometimes he'll talk about things like brain function, cancer prevention, and acne in one episode, and then talk about supplements for each of the various topics he brings up. This way, my mom ends up taking melatonin for brain function, and telling me to eat _______ new super food to treat my acne (which was meant for something else in the show). My mom has good intentions, but she's not willing to believe clinical studies unless it's from the infamous "they"(Dr Oz, the news). Example...

Mom: "They said that acne is caused by not getting enough zinc in your diet."

Me: "Mom, I don't think a deficiency in zinc is causing my acne."

Mom: "But THEY said zinc is good for your acne!"

Me: "I know that, I told you a long time ago and you didn't believe me. I've been taking it for a while."

Mom: "Then why do you still have acne!?"

Me: -_-

"Then why do you still have acne?!"

My pops tells me about how he used to get cortisone injections for his cysts when he was my age, and that it cleared up in his twenties. I'm hoping I inherited more of his genes for skin than my mom's side, because there's adult acne on her's :[ I don't know if I'll stay sane being bombarded with information that "they said" was good for me :o

Edited by tim12

My mother and father are extremely supportive of me, thankfully.

My dad knows my skin is a touchy subject, and he's the only person who I feel comfortable making eye contact with. (I'm getting there with my mother though.)

My mom wasn't as supportive at first. Until I broke down and cried in front of her (:doubt: Embarrassing. My skin was horrible that... month.), she began becoming more understanding of me. She even took me to a dermatologist, which made me extremely happy.

I couldn't have more supportive parents when it comes to acne. They've never cracked jokes, embarrassed me in front of others, or said anything offensive about acne. My dad used to have acne so he knows how it's like. They give me advice and they usually make me feel better about myself. I love them.

Edited by Post-Punk

My parents used put me down constantly by commenting on the size of my pimples or the dryness of my skin when I was on the regimen. But still I'm thankful that they bought me the DKR products without too much skeptism or nagging.

Sounds like they are looking out for you.

My parents are pretty frustrating as well. I get into an arguments for asking money for doctor visits. It's not an arguement, basically it's just them putting me down for like 15 minutes like shouting and being very demeaning, a lot of the stuff they say isn't even true about me. Really sucks. We could always trade for a day. :)

My parents don't understand that there is a diet-acne connection. also they are naturopathphobes and immidently (sp?) scoff at any natural treatment, even Burts Bees spot treatment. Our hairdresser is a hardcore essential oil addict and uses it to treat everything from pimples (lemon oil) to her dog's tumor (which I guess went away after the oil) and my mom makes fun of her afterwards....I'm like mom if it works, it works, right?!

my dad doesn't really care and my little sis parrots my mom and makes fun of me when I tell her my anti-acne diet (no dairy, less sugar/starch, eat walnuts, fruit, veg,etc) and says it's so dumb.

fortunately if I wanted to see a derm they would take me :) they believe in chemical treatment, which I'm not against, I'm just willing to give natural treatments a try, unlike them.

then I had a $150 Clarisionic brush for a few months then returned it because it didn't cure my acne and thus wasn't worth the money...they've yet to let me live that one down....

ps is there a way so the "enable email notification of replies?" box is permanently checked? I always forget which threads i posted in if I don't get a notification

My parents are so dam Asian they scared to use their credit cards online so dam gay until i begged like 10000 times xD. But other than that they are pretty supportive both are trying to find ways to help me.

it is not "GAY" that your parents didn't use their credit card. it is annoying or frustrating or stingy or whatever BUT IT. IS. NOT. GAY. :evil: