Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asar

Help for Spironolactone

I kept getting a few here and there consistently until the one year mark. Now I rarely get pimples, and when I do they are very small. But before that point, on spiro I got a cyst every once in awhile along with normal pimples pretty regularly, but at a MUCH less rate than my pre-spiro days. As long as there is improvement, I think you're doing great.

hey jen,I just wanted to say that your words are very encouraging. I have no tolerance when it comes to acne, and no patience. I lose heart very quickly. Sometimes, I dont even realize that the pimple I did get was already there for a long time, it was very small, but I irritated it accidently by putting a lot of AHA on it. There are a lot of contributing factors to small outbreaks, but i reach a conclusion on an impulse and start considering myself very unlucky. i blame it on spiro and assume that it isn't working. It is definitely working, slow progress but its working. I have to keep reminding myself that patience is the key with this medicine. But you all are such a great help

To everyone out there who hasn't been far in to the treatment, just have patience...be patient. Dont lose hope, if things didn't improve for you all of the sudden, then just stick it out and slowly you will see improvement. I hope we all do see a lot of improvement so much so that we can forget that acne was ever a problem and truly enjoy our lives.

Edited by asar

IT IS A MIRACLE DRUG!

On 25 mg, for about a year now,

I'm almost completely clear, the cysts are gone and only a few little things remain on my forehead. I thought this dermatologist was a complete freak show, and promised i'd never go back but he had this one idea, because I told him my breakouts vary with my period.

I'm not sure if it was the spiro causing me excess bleeding every 2 weeks or if it's the perimenopause but it seems to have straightened out now. Thank God!

As I recall the improvement started pretty quick. 1-2 mos for sure.

I'm so thankful after 25 yrs of this crap to have at least human skin! I should've shopped around for derms before. the first one was completely useless, i waited a whole 15 more years before going to another! I got the scars to prove it. Don't wait. Don't give up!

Edited by tubersyum

Great attitude, Asar. It really DOES help, just stick to it and fight the fight. I really hope it will work 100% for you, and it seems to be helping you already. It can completely change your life like it changed mine

Great attitude, Asar. It really DOES help, just stick to it and fight the fight. I really hope it will work 100% for you, and it seems to be helping you already. It can completely change your life like it changed mine

Jen do you get long periods because of spiro? This feb, my period is already on it's 10th day. It's crazy! It's doing so well for my skin but Im afraid the toll on my health

Yes, sometimes I do get really long periods! And sometimes I get really short ones. I don't see that as taking a toll on my heath, really.

to all spiro users i like to know what your thoughts are on this one: Have been on spiro for almost a year and have slowly increased my dosage from 25mg a day to my current one of 100mg a day..I never saw results like everyone raves about but did see a slight improvement at 3monts and 7 months..My jawline still gets occasional bumps and my chin is still a clogged mess of milia and small blackheads..I went to Ulta spa yesterday and had a skin mapping analysis of my face. I sat under a purplish lamp and the girl examined my face more than any derm has ever had. She said my skin was dehydrated and therefore trying to produce more oil and in turn clogging my pores..She said we had to calm the skin down as its irritated and red and inflamed right now..she suggested the calming cleanser (which i already owned) and moistuize..I felt like this moisturizer was probably a bit too emollient but i knew i definetly needed moisture just which one was the question..Im wondering since she said i was dehydrated should i lower my dosage of spiro? I only drink water and gallons of it i might add..I really thought i should increase the spiro to 125mg a day since it doesnt seem to be working and never saw results at the lower mgs..What does everyone think?

to all spiro users i like to know what your thoughts are on this one: Have been on spiro for almost a year and have slowly increased my dosage from 25mg a day to my current one of 100mg a day..I never saw results like everyone raves about but did see a slight improvement at 3monts and 7 months..My jawline still gets occasional bumps and my chin is still a clogged mess of milia and small blackheads..I went to Ulta spa yesterday and had a skin mapping analysis of my face. I sat under a purplish lamp and the girl examined my face more than any derm has ever had. She said my skin was dehydrated and therefore trying to produce more oil and in turn clogging my pores..She said we had to calm the skin down as its irritated and red and inflamed right now..she suggested the calming cleanser (which i already owned) and moistuize..I felt like this moisturizer was probably a bit too emollient but i knew i definetly needed moisture just which one was the question..Im wondering since she said i was dehydrated should i lower my dosage of spiro? I only drink water and gallons of it i might add..I really thought i should increase the spiro to 125mg a day since it doesnt seem to be working and never saw results at the lower mgs..What does everyone think?

I've been on 100mg's for 1 month and have not experienced the "thirst" or urge to use the bathroom like everyone talks about. Nor had I had bad side effects. The only change I've seen..I got my period as normal, but it took it sweet old time, the first 2 days, then a little bit more each day, but not as usual and oddly its taking longer, I'm 7 days. My norm is 5. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not seeing any results in acne. In fact I think my acne is getting worse and my face seems more oily. I don't know if it's the spiro or the stress I had all this week. I feel my emotions are all over the place. Most of the time I feel built up anger and I'm not even sure why. I'm such bad company. I was also thinking of taking more spiro, but I'm already at 100mg's. I have an appoitment on Tuesday. Maybe I should go up to 200mg. Someone on this forum is taking 200mg daily. I think maybe you should go up if you aren't seeing results. I mean you've been taking this for a year now. Just keep drinking water to keep hydrated.

Yes, sometimes I do get really long periods! And sometimes I get really short ones. I don't see that as taking a toll on my heath, really.

Yeah talk about long periods, dont even ask about mine. lol last almost 10-14 days. My god! However, my doctor thinks it alright, and it will go away once I stop taking the med, or once I am far into taking spiro. Anyway, its not really a toll on my health either. Just eat up, and consume iron rish foods. You will be fine Atan.

you sound just like me!! I never had acne as a teenager, then all of a sudden I hit 20 and my stress and hormones went BAM! there goes my skin...( mild acne ) I started taking Spironolactone in June and after 8 months I am almost completely clear. Although, if it wasn't for my anxiety and depression through all of this, I feel like I could have been clearer months ago. I have come to the conclusion that stress is the main cause of my breakouts, but it is a vicious cycle!! Stresst makes me breakout, then breakout makes me stress, then I breakout.......and so on! This skin issue was all so new to me, and so confusing to figure out how to get my skin back to normal! After literally hundreds of hours researching, changing my diet, being on Spironolactone, cutting out the majority of sugar, adding tons of vitamins, and seeing an esthiticion for facials and chemical peels and microdermabrasion..I now see my normal skin returning. (knock on wood!)

I am having the longest period of my life. Its never ending. arrrgggg maybe I shouls lower my dose to a 100 for a few ays. I hope it ends this month. lol seriously.

I am having the longest period of my life. Its never ending. arrrgggg maybe I shouls lower my dose to a 100 for a few ays. I hope it ends this month. lol seriously.

Hey girls

I have completed my third month on spiro. yayyy! my skin is so flaky all the time. Anyway, thats not the point of this post. The period I got this month has been extremely long. It doesn't bother me much, but I dont wanna lose weight because of that. I am trying to gain weight. Over the past 6-8 months, I have lost a lot of weight because of depressing acne diets that didn't do anything but made me skinnier and more prone to acne. Do you have any tips for me. I am just afraid that long periods would hurt my weight gaining regime. :/

Edited by asar

Ok so it has been a long time since I last posted. I will write a little update. I have been on spiro for exactly 4 months now. Last month was pretty good. I only got two tiny hair bumps because I used a weird razor-like thing for upper lips hair. My skin is alright I guess. I dont particularly like its texture. i wouldn't say my skin has become beautiful or anything. For some reason i feel the red marks I get while on spiro last quite long...So my extra sensitive skin still looks rough with marks. Unfortunately, even if I pic a tiny block pore on my forhead sometimes it leaves a freckle like mark behind. my chin still has couple of hyper pigmentation mark. My right cheek has a couple two. My other cheek has couple of weird pinkish stripe like mark from scratching and useless picking. Today, I got a real pimple on my cheek. It is not huge or anything but still disappointing since I am already on 4 month. So, I am definitely not getting painful zits or cysts any more. Frequency of pimples haa been reduced a lot too. But my skin is no where near perfect yet. I still have marks and occasional blocked pores and silly pimple popping up once in a while. And a few marks that are taking a lot of time to fade for some weird reason. That doesn't usually happen to me. Sigh...I thought spiro would have worked wonders by now since I already didn't have bad acne. I dont know why my luck is so bad in this department.

I feel so bad sometimes because my husband(he is away right now) has such a perfect skin on his face. he would get acne elsewhere but not on his face. His face is smooth and perfect. Sometimes I envy him. I wonder if I would ever feel comfortable with him once he comes back to U.S and we start living together again. I just pray and wish my skin gets better. my marks go away..so I can just live my life. so I can feel extremely comfortable with my husband.

I am sorry for this long rant. I feel so emotional.

Edited by asar

Ok so it has been a long time since I last posted. I will write a little update. I have been on spiro for exactly 4 months now. Last month was pretty good. I only got two tiny hair bumps because I used a weird razor-like thing for upper lips hair. My skin is alright I guess. I dont particularly like its texture. i wouldn't say my skin has become beautiful or anything. For some reason i feel the red marks I get while on spiro last quite long...So my extra sensitive skin still looks rough with marks. Unfortunately, even if I pic a tiny block pore on my forhead sometimes it leaves a freckle like mark behind. my chin still has couple of hyper pigmentation mark. My right cheek has a couple two. My other cheek has couple of weird pinkish stripe like mark from scratching and useless picking. Today, I got a real pimple on my cheek. It is not huge or anything but still disappointing since I am already on 4 month. So, I am definitely not getting painful zits or cysts any more. Frequency of pimples haa been reduced a lot too. But my skin is no where near perfect yet. I still have marks and occasional blocked pores and silly pimple popping up once in a while. And a few marks that are taking a lot of time to fade for some weird reason. That doesn't usually happen to me. Sigh...I thought spiro would have worked wonders by now since I already didn't have bad acne. I dont know why my luck is so bad in this department.

I feel so bad sometimes because my husband(he is away right now) has such a perfect skin on his face. he would get acne elsewhere but not on his face. His face is smooth and perfect. Sometimes I envy him. I wonder if I would ever feel comfortable with him once he comes back to U.S and we start living together again. I just pray and wish my skin gets better. my marks go away..so I can just live my life. so I can feel extremely comfortable with my husband.

I am sorry for this long rant. I feel so emotional.

I dont want to discourage any of the beginner spiro user. I hope my post help somebody who is still struggling. Spiro is a big help no doubt, but patient is the key. EVen in month four, you could see a pimple here and there. So just be patience, and thats what I am trying to do, as slowly and gradually my skin gets better. yes it is taking months...but progress is there. :)

Edited by asar

Hi everyone,

I am just finishing my 4th month as well. Cross my fingers, but things seem to be getting better. I am still getting whiteheads (the bane of my existence!), but I have not gotten any big zits in the last month. Definitely some little ones, and I get weird flares of shallow red zits on my chin/mouth that spring up quickly and go away quickly. I've never had anything like this, but they're getting smaller. Also, I am losing less hair, am less oily, and have noticed that my sprinkling of back acne is better. However, things were quite lousy throughout late January and February. My 3rd month was REALLY bad, and I hope it doesn't cycle back. I should mention that I switched to brand (aldactone) a month ago, which definitely seems stronger (but still the same dose of 100mg/day).

While my first period on spiro came early, the subsequent periods have come on time. However, my pms seems worse on this drug. Oh well, maybe it will straighten itself out later. I am not on BC and haven't been for a year (which might have been responsible for the deterioration of my skin).

Keep the faith, everyone!

Hi everyone,

I am just finishing my 4th month as well. Cross my fingers, but things seem to be getting better. I am still getting whiteheads (the bane of my existence!), but I have not gotten any big zits in the last month. Definitely some little ones, and I get weird flares of shallow red zits on my chin/mouth that spring up quickly and go away quickly. I've never had anything like this, but they're getting smaller. Also, I am losing less hair, am less oily, and have noticed that my sprinkling of back acne is better. However, things were quite lousy throughout late January and February. My 3rd month was REALLY bad, and I hope it doesn't cycle back. I should mention that I switched to brand (aldactone) a month ago, which definitely seems stronger (but still the same dose of 100mg/day).

While my first period on spiro came early, the subsequent periods have come on time. However, my pms seems worse on this drug. Oh well, maybe it will straighten itself out later. I am not on BC and haven't been for a year (which might have been responsible for the deterioration of my skin).

Keep the faith, everyone!

We are kind of similar, as I am on my fourth month too, end of fourth month. My skin has gotten better but I, too, get small clogged pores on my forehead, and yesterday I got a small pimple which is on its way out. But yeah I didn't get much in this month. Lets hope these silly clogged pores stop too. I mean its not that bad with clogged pores but still. Has the frequency of your white head lessened. For me it is decreasing. I hope it gets better and better for both of us.

Hiya. My whitehead count is a bit better, but that's mostly because I've started going after them. Sometimes it's the only way to get them out, but it tends to leave a mark for a week or more. Rrrr! I am still getting plenty of these small reddish bumps all around my chin and mouth (so annoying), but they usually aren't deep. I can cover them with makeup. And of course, clogged pores/whiteheads on my cheeks, chins, and a few on my forehead. Whiteheads suck, because no makeup can cover them (but at least they're not bright red).

Anyone having problem with flaking, red skin around the mouth and under the nostrils? It's really weird. Also, I started using metrogel, so that might have something to do with it.

Hope April is a good skin month for everyone! Glad you are doing better, Asar.

Hiya. My whitehead count is a bit better, but that's mostly because I've started going after them. Sometimes it's the only way to get them out, but it tends to leave a mark for a week or more. Rrrr! I am still getting plenty of these small reddish bumps all around my chin and mouth (so annoying), but they usually aren't deep. I can cover them with makeup. And of course, clogged pores/whiteheads on my cheeks, chins, and a few on my forehead. Whiteheads suck, because no makeup can cover them (but at least they're not bright red).

Anyone having problem with flaking, red skin around the mouth and under the nostrils? It's really weird. Also, I started using metrogel, so that might have something to do with it.

Hope April is a good skin month for everyone! Glad you are doing better, Asar.

Yup, I got couple of red bumps last month too but I think they were mainly caused by irritation from AHA. I do get whiteheads on my forehead now here and there. They're quite small though. I have OCD and bad skin picking habit. You wouldn't believe it, but I sometimes end up picking nothing or mostly I am picking at nothing. A lot of marks that I do get are not from pimple but from stupid picking. I just picked last night, I digged my nails in my skin.My poor sensitive skin can only take so much. Its disturbing. I am trying not to touch my face or look at my face too much. Just yesterday, I picked at an already picked at place which was a little flaky and pink. I just picked at it again with all my force, and today I have a raised scaby nail mark. Try not to pick your whiteheads unless they are absolutely visible. They will go away by themselves. Trust me, you are just giving yourself marks for no reasons, and those whiteheads are usually not even visible to others. My skin would be clear right now if I wasn't picking at every single hardddddllllyyyyy perceivable raised or rough place that you cant even see with your eyes. So I have just come up with a plan to avoiding mirror as much as possible.

Oh if you absolutely have to go at a whitehead, ice it right away after squeezing it.

Yes, lets hope april is better. :)

Sigh*

My OCD and usless picking is costing me a lot. I gave myself a cut after mindless picking which kind of got infected. I wish I could stop myself from touching my face.

:eh: You know it may sound weird, but I had an aunt that in order to have her kids stop sucking thier thumbs, she would put a little jalapeño vinager oh the tip of the thumb. LOL. I would never do this, but I see how it could work. The problem here is getting in your eyes!!! I've expereince that...it's like getting soap in your eyes - with a little more sting ;)

:eh: You know it may sound weird, but I had an aunt that in order to have her kids stop sucking thier thumbs, she would put a little jalapeño vinager oh the tip of the thumb. LOL. I would never do this, but I see how it could work. The problem here is getting in your eyes!!! I've expereince that...it's like getting soap in your eyes - with a little more sting ;)

how is your skin doing espinilla?

Yeah it sucks! if i am not getting bumbs I am giving myself one be picking. Things would have been soo much better otherwise. I am trying to work on this. Another problem for me is those tiny clogged pores on my upper jaw bone right under my right eye. My skin is so delicate there and quite dry on top of it all. Any tips for keeping that place clear. i. e which lotion to use.

Yeah it sucks! if i am not getting bumbs I am giving myself one be picking. Things would have been soo much better otherwise. I am trying to work on this. Another problem for me is those tiny clogged pores on my upper jaw bone right under my right eye. My skin is so delicate there and quite dry on top of it all. Any tips for keeping that place clear. i. e which lotion to use.

I just started my period today, and its high pollen season here. I am experiencing something strange. I am 4 months and 3.5 weeks in, and I have itchy tiny bumps on the skin near my eyes, like three on one side and two on the other. They are small, not really raised, and they only get pink when I itch them. Nothing comes out of them upon squeezing except maybe some clear water. I am also experiencing lots of itching on my jaw line and neck. I have no clue whats happening. I dont know if its acne or allergies or hives. Maybe I have contact dermatitis from pollen. Can anyone shed some light??? plzzzz

Hope everyone is doing good. The acne under my chin/jawline is getting better. I still have red marks. I asked the derm. yesterday, why the redmarks are more visible on my neck and not my face. He said that the skin below the chin is different and more sensitive, therefore the redmarsk take longer to fade....6 to 12 months!!! He said it was skin discoloration. GREAT!. I'm doing good on the spiro though, my skin is better, but still oily. Like today I got 4 tiny whiteheads. I also notice that my skin changes depending on the the season. For some reason I get the feeling that my skin produces more oil and the end of the winter season. ?¿ Also, my last period lasted 10 days, but was very light. I'm being very patient and still take 150mgs every morning. Oh I also stopped eating dairy and now drink coconut milk.

How is everyone else doing?

Hope everyone is doing good. The acne under my chin/jawline is getting better. I still have red marks. I asked the derm. yesterday, why the redmarks are more visible on my neck and not my face. He said that the skin below the chin is different and more sensitive, therefore the redmarsk take longer to fade....6 to 12 months!!! He said it was skin discoloration. GREAT!. I'm doing good on the spiro though, my skin is better, but still oily. Like today I got 4 tiny whiteheads. I also notice that my skin changes depending on the the season. For some reason I get the feeling that my skin produces more oil and the end of the winter season. ?¿ Also, my last period lasted 10 days, but was very light. I'm being very patient and still take 150mgs every morning. Oh I also stopped eating dairy and now drink coconut milk.

Hey

I am glad you're doing good. I am about to complete my 5 months. I am doing alright not perfect but alright. I am just very itchy around my jaw line and neck. And I have a few tiny very itchy bumps on my neck since end of march. I feel its related to pollen in the air and allergies. At the same time, I also have a small rash on the side of my eye and on my cheek below it. My skin is extremely dry..like extremelllyyy dry on my neck and aroung my eyes where I have the small itchy bumps. I have no clue if those small itchy bumps are acne or just irritation and allergies. Anyway, spiro sure is making me more sensitive to allergies and hives. Spiro has taken its time for me...I still dont have perfect skin, I get small clogged pores here and there at times. I guess for me spiro has been a rough ride. It is working but its taking its damn time. I feel I fall under the slow improver category. I hope after 6 -7 months I see more results with it.

I just started my period today, and its high pollen season here. I am experiencing something strange. I am 4 months and 3.5 weeks in, and I have itchy tiny bumps on the skin near my eyes, like three on one side and two on the other. They are small, not really raised, and they only get pink when I itch them. Nothing comes out of them upon squeezing except maybe some clear water. I am also experiencing lots of itching on my jaw line and neck. I have no clue whats happening. I dont know if its acne or allergies or hives. Maybe I have contact dermatitis from pollen. Can anyone shed some light??? plzzzz

bump

Hey

I am glad you're doing good. I am about to complete my 5 months. I am doing alright not perfect but alright. I am just very itchy around my jaw line and neck. And I have a few tiny very itchy bumps on my neck since end of march. I feel its related to pollen in the air and allergies. At the same time, I also have a small rash on the side of my eye and on my cheek below it. My skin is extremely dry..like extremelllyyy dry on my neck and aroung my eyes where I have the small itchy bumps. I have no clue if those small itchy bumps are acne or just irritation and allergies. Anyway, spiro sure is making me more sensitive to allergies and hives. Spiro has taken its time for me...I still dont have perfect skin, I get small clogged pores here and there at times. I guess for me spiro has been a rough ride. It is working but its taking its damn time. I feel I fall under the slow improver category. I hope after 6 -7 months I see more results with it.

Well the spiro is supposed to dry out your skin - reduce oil production. That's not my case, in fact i feel more oily with the use of tretinonin. The derm said I have not reached the dosage that affects my oil production yet. MMmmmmMaybe you're are not using enough moisturizer. We are in the same category....slow slow slow. I just hope at the end you and I will see great results. :)