Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asar

Help for Spironolactone

so i'm trying to figure out if i need to up my dosage of spiro or lower it...i'm on 112mg (4 1/2 pills of 25mg each) for the last two weeks and things are no better...I ve been on 100mg for several months and things were ok but never great..My face is ridiculously dry and plugged in my chin area so im not sure what that means...I've been moistuizing with an aloe plant as i have rosacea as well and i dont think it is helping..Its a weird dry as im flakey on top but oily underneath...Im not sure which way to go. I just had blood work done and know my estrogen is slightly low so now im wondering if i should ask my ob/gyn about birth control pills. I've heard many spiro users are on YAZ or something else...what the general opinion about which birth control pill to take while on spiro?

Thanks Atan.

I wish you good luck with your journey. I am having my second period in one month right after i kind of increased my dose for two days. My skin is slowly improving. Still have a little non-inflamed clog pores problem here and there coupled with flaky dry skin. THis makes me think that dry skin and under exfoliation is a problem. I am, however, enjoying every food like never before. Which means I am eating pretty unhealthy. I will not be taking bc despite the irregularity. I AM HOPING IT WOULD GET better in a few months. Hopefully by the end of third month, I would stop getting clogged pores, but clogged pores are not that bad at all. Its just 2-3 here and there.

Good luck to you all. Good luck Atan. Remember to take food with lots of iron so you dont become anemic. Hopefully, your period would become regular. If I recall it correctly, I read somewhere that your periods return to normal when you stop spiro. SO if you are trying to get pregnant, you can slowly wean yourself off the month before you are trying to get pregnant. Some say that even two weeks is good enough. thats what I plan to do when I am about to get pregnant. However, I am not going to be taking any bcp. I dont like bcp period. I think spiro is way better.

Thanks Atan.

I wish you good luck with your journey. I am having my second period in one month right after i kind of increased my dose for two days. My skin is slowly improving. Still have a little non-inflamed clog pores problem here and there coupled with flaky dry skin. THis makes me think that dry skin and under exfoliation is a problem. I am, however, enjoying every food like never before. Which means I am eating pretty unhealthy. I will not be taking bc despite the irregularity. I AM HOPING IT WOULD GET better in a few months. Hopefully by the end of third month, I would stop getting clogged pores, but clogged pores are not that bad at all. Its just 2-3 here and there.

Good luck to you all. Good luck Atan. Remember to take food with lots of iron so you dont become anemic. Hopefully, your period would become regular. If I recall it correctly, I read somewhere that your periods return to normal when you stop spiro. SO if you are trying to get pregnant, you can slowly wean yourself off the month before you are trying to get pregnant. Some say that even two weeks is good enough. thats what I plan to do when I am about to get pregnant. However, I am not going to be taking any bcp. I dont like bcp period. I think spiro is way better.

Hey Atan

Did you ever have blocked pores problem. And does spiro start to take care of those too? How long was it if you ever did see an improvement in clogged pores. I am seeing some but not full. It is almost my 2 months mark. No inflamed acne though. :) I THank God trillions times for that

Edited by asar

spiro sure hasnt helped me one bit with clogged pores..in fact i think the dryness contributes to it...Im on spiro for ten months and have not seen any improvment...i dont get why? Atan i think you mentioned eating lots of food with iron so you wont be anemic...Does spiro make you more anemic? I havent heard this and I have a problem with low iron right now

well I mentioned eating foods with iron. Only if you are having two periods a month, you could end up being anemic. Thats all.

Ok I have been on spiro for two months and one day now. My skin is not doing so well. It was fine this whole month, except for tiny clogged pores here and there. But then a few days ago I was excessively touching my face and I squeezed the hell out of a tiny hair bump thingy. I woke up to a small inflamed hair follicle. It was all my fault. Anyway, so thursday night I washed my face with my old cleanser that i had stopped using because I started to think it face me problems. Anyway that cleanser has salicylic acid and soy extract. I used that, went to sleep. Woke up and I found some tiny irritation on the side of my face. a tiny pink rashy bump..they were tiny though. Anyway, yesterday evening, I felt a small hive like pimple on my chin, and I ignored it as a hive. This morning, that somewhat flat weird hive like thingy that I ended up squeezing last night is a little sore to the touch. its the first thing I have gotten on my chin in 2 months. It is kind of sore, not exactly an under the skin cyst but still a small reminder of what I used to get on my chin before. I feel scared and down. My 2 months on spiro have just ended. In those 2 months, I didn't get a single pimple on my chin, maybe one that went away in 2 days. But now this. Its my third month start. my swollen hair follicle is going away. I dunno if its the cleanser with salicy and soy that might have caused this weird bump or the weird nuts that I had. Any insights guys, I am confused and feeling down.

Aw Asar, spiro is a really up and down journey for the first few months. Or, at least that's how it was for me. I had great skin, and then bad skin, and I thought it was all a fluke. The key is to just stick with it. I really think it will work for you but really don't increase and decrease your dosage. Stay with one dosage and I think that'll be better. When I was forced to decrease my dosage, I had a breakout. Then when I raised it again, I had a breakout. This past summer, about 8 months into spiro, I had an awful two month long breakout. I also found touching my face and picking my pimples gave me terrible breakouts! If I tried to pop a pimple, I ended up with three more! Just be patient and it can be such a wonderful blessing to your life. I know the waiting game is the worst, but just keep a smile on your face and live life even when you're feeling crappy about the acne. I let soo much time in my life just pass me by as I sat in my room crying about acne, which I deeply regret.

Jen

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. Its just that I always end up thinking that ok probably thats it. Now I will have clear skin. Second month was really good for me so far. And ever since taking spiro, I didn't get a single cyst on my chin. I was really happy with that. I started enjoying nuts and sugar quite a bit. And then bam, end of second month and I have a sore bump on my chin. I spent the whole day crying yesterday. I started to think that maybe spiro is not working for me. I am right now on 100 mg. It seems to work well, but I dunno. It has been only 2 months, about a month on 50, and a month on 100. Usually people say that 3nd month is when they really see the difference. I dont know about that. Because my third month started with a sore bump on my chin. Its not getting worse, but as you all might know how discouraging this journey could be. I wish none of us has to go through this.

Hi! In my experience the first 3 months on spiro was breakout time. I saw improvement on my fourth month- when acne became less constant. As I am writing this, I feel so happy because Im not dealing with acne every single day. I get maybe 1 acne per month and it heals very fast (like 3 days).

The downside is that I get my period twice a month and you are so right Asar, you can get anemic. I feel so tired all the time and I have to eat sweet foods just so I can have that sugar dose and feel better.

I know that I have to take bc pill soon but Im still gonna talk to me derm to make sure it wont cause me to break-out again. Like what I've said I have dealt with acne for 12 loooong years.

I know how the battle of acne can be so frustrating. I cried buckets because of it. So for everyone on this thread, I wish us all goodluck. Hopefully spiro will work out for you guys but if not there are other options out there. Give at least everything you try at least 6 months.

My prayers to you all :)

I know how the battle of acne can be so frustrating. I cried buckets because of it. So for everyone on this thread, I wish us all goodluck. Hopefully spiro will work out for you guys but if not there are other options out there. Give at least everything you try at least 6 months.

My prayers to you all :)

Thank you so much Atan. Your post has really made me happy. I have been on spiro for 2 months. I have seen improvements, but like I mentioned just a couple of days ago, I got this under the skin pimple on my chin, which wasn't that horrible but still I wasn't expecting it. I also had two periods this month. I just try to compensate for it by consuming a lot more food with iron in them. That definitely helps. I just upped my dose from 100mg too today. I am not on any bcp and I dont plan to be on it. My doctor is amazing, and he talked about irregularities while on spiro. But he also assured me that its a small side effect and nothing to worry about. He also said that it eventually gets better. Also once you come off spiro, your period goes back to normal. I dont like taking bcp because of the weird side effects. You should talk to your doctor whether you have to take BCP or not. I have chosen not to. I am ok with some irregularities even two periods for some time. Keep consuming foods with high iron. :)

I wish you luck, and thanks for the prayers. I definitely need them

My prayers are with you all too.

I am a 33 year old female with mild-moderate hormonal acne. Acne problem areas are small clusters on both jawlines by chin, as well as bout 2-4 cysts a month in the chin area. I also have small clusters on my laugh line area above my mouth and mild acne on my cheeks. No acne on my forehead, temples, or nose. My acne is very stubborn and does not completely go away and gets worse around my cycle. I've noticed after coming off birth control (in June 2010) that my acne has gotten progressively worse and I don't know how much worse it could possibly get, so I'm trying to catch it now. The acne on my jawline and chin appeared (about Dec 2010) after a failed attempt of 2 months on Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion 1%. After that prescription, my family doctor (who wouldn't approve me to see a dermatologist, go figure) prescribed my Doxycyline and I do not want to take it. I prefer the Spiro route, because I've found from past experience in high school, when my acne was at it's worst, that sometimes dermatology treats the symptoms and not the cause which lead up to me taking Accutane back then, nothing else would work. I am going to see a dermatologist soon and I want to request Spiro, and I would like to know the following from you kind ladies:

1) How hard was it for you to find a dermatologist that understood and knew about Spiro and/or did you have a hard time convincing him/her to prescribe it you?

2) Can you explain your regime? From reading this thread I've noticed the most effective dosage to start is 75-100 mg a day, but how do you take it, daily, only around your cycle? I would prefer to take it only around my cycle to minimize side effects, but I don't want to impact the overall results?

Thank you!

I am a 33 year old female with mild-moderate hormonal acne. Acne problem areas are small clusters on both jawlines by chin, as well as bout 2-4 cysts a month in the chin area. I also have small clusters on my laugh line area above my mouth and mild acne on my cheeks. No acne on my forehead, temples, or nose. My acne is very stubborn and does not completely go away and gets worse around my cycle. I've noticed after coming off birth control (in June 2010) that my acne has gotten progressively worse and I don't know how much worse it could possibly get, so I'm trying to catch it now. The acne on my jawline and chin appeared (about Dec 2010) after a failed attempt of 2 months on Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion 1%. After that prescription, my family doctor (who wouldn't approve me to see a dermatologist, go figure) prescribed my Doxycyline and I do not want to take it. I prefer the Spiro route, because I've found from past experience in high school, when my acne was at it's worst, that sometimes dermatology treats the symptoms and not the cause which lead up to me taking Accutane back then, nothing else would work. I am going to see a dermatologist soon and I want to request Spiro, and I would like to know the following from you kind ladies:

1) How hard was it for you to find a dermatologist that understood and knew about Spiro and/or did you have a hard time convincing him/her to prescribe it you?

2) Can you explain your regime? From reading this thread I've noticed the most effective dosage to start is 75-100 mg a day, but how do you take it, daily, only around your cycle? I would prefer to take it only around my cycle to minimize side effects, but I don't want to impact the overall results?

Thank you!

Hey there,

I asked my general physician if he would prescribe it for me and he agreed even though my acne was not that apparent, but I let him know how these cyst like hard annoying under the skin bumps on my chin and sometimes on my forehead before my period were ruining my life and depressing me beyond belief.

I was scared to start, but I went ahead. No huge side effects, some fatigue and thirst. Once, I had a fast heart beat, and thats it. I have no regime. I just take 50 mg in the morning and 50 at night. started with 50mg for three weeks then 100 now I take 150. I use no topicals or any moisturizers. I sometimes use a 12% AHA cream. And a little neutrogena 2.5% BP on my chin and at times on forehead. So basically, its just spiro. I avoid bananas and potatoes and other fruits high in potassium. I take it every day to achieve better results. Its ok to take it every day. good luck

To AcneGurl78:

1. I live in Toronto Canada and the physician I see readily gives it. I go to the Toronto Acne Clinic and they do prescribe it to patients. Im sure that your dermatologist would prescribe it since from what I've been reading about spiro, it's used as in "off label" acne drug.

2. You have to take it everyday. The first month I started with 25 mg, second month 75 and third month 125 mg. The cure happened on my 4th month. I use spectro cleanser for acne (only available in canada-exactly like cetaphil) in the morning and apply neostrata glycolic toner then moisturizer with spf. In the evening I cleanse my skin with neostarta glycolic cleanser and put clindoxyl gel (clindamycin with benzoyl peroxide).

Like what Asar and I have been discussing, the only downside is Im getting two periods a month and Im not decided if I should take bcp to normalize it. My doctor prescribed me diane 35 already BUT Im still thinking on wheter to take it or not.

I am 31 years old and Roaccutane didn't work for me either. I took it 4 times but acne comes back on the 4th month after stopping it.

Hope this helps you out.

It it really bad if I eat bananas? Should I avoid them completely? What about orange juice and kiwis? Anyone?

well how many mg u take? i take 100mg. 1 in the am and 1 on the pm. i was worried about the banana thing too. but when i drank a strawberry/banana shake by accident i felt fine. but on the safe side. im not gonna eat a banana to even try to see if im Really ok with it. and i ate mandarin orange & drank tropicana orange juice. i ate spinach and other veggies. i didnt get any side effects. maybe when taking high doses you'd get them?.

Edited by ZitAckzHater

It it really bad if I eat bananas? Should I avoid them completely? What about orange juice and kiwis? Anyone?

well how many mg u take? i take 100mg. 1 in the am and 1 on the pm. i was worried about the banana thing too. but when i drank a strawberry/banana shake by accident i felt fine. but on the safe side. im not gonna eat a banana to even try to see if im Really ok with it. and i ate mandarin orange & drank tropicana orange juice. i ate spinach and other veggies. i didnt get any side effects. maybe when taking high doses you'd get them?.

I'm actually afraid to find out. But I'm missing so much of things I love to eat. Know I have to think twice.!!!!! No wonder they say you loose weight wi/ spiro LOL Yesterday I was about to dring a gatorade, but I read the label and it has potassium. I will see the dermatologist on Feb 22, i will try to remember to ask him.

When I eat bananas, I don't really feel any different. It's when I drink caffeinated drinks that I get very very dizzy and weak.

I take 200mg of spiro, and have for over one year, and do not avoid any potassium-rich foods, and I feel perfectly healthy. I eat bananas, orange juice, tomato sauce, potatoes, yogurt.. all of which are high in potassium. I have not personally experienced any ill effects.

I've had some of the symptoms. Weakness in my limbs, dizziness, crazy extreme thirst.

It seems to have calmed down a bit now, it was much worse when I first started it. I rarely eat bananas and I'm careful but I haven't completely cut out potassium.

I am well into my third month. Where as I think things have improved, but not 100 percent at all.Just yesterday my face was fine, and then today I woke up with a weird pimple on the side of my cheek. and a smaller one on my jaw. I dont know if it is an innitial break up after dosage increase. I noticed a small breakout on 100 mg but that came 14-15 days later and samething at 50. Now I have been on 150 for 16-17 days,and out of the blue i have this. I feel crappy. I was expecting miracles in my third month, but I keep going back. Things look good for a while and then bam, something happens to ruin everything. I wonder when I am going to have a smooth ride. This is discouraging. I am telling myself that maybe its just the initial or from the peanut and a piece of chocolate i hate yesterday. Any of you still had some pimple like a couple here and there in your third month? and then things improved in the fourth?

I am well into my third month. Where as I think things have improved, but not 100 percent at all.Just yesterday my face was fine, and then today I woke up with a weird pimple on the side of my cheek. and a smaller one on my jaw. I dont know if it is an innitial break up after dosage increase. I noticed a small breakout on 100 mg but that came 14-15 days later and samething at 50. Now I have been on 150 for 16-17 days,and out of the blue i have this. I feel crappy. I was expecting miracles in my third month, but I keep going back. Things look good for a while and then bam, something happens to ruin everything. I wonder when I am going to have a smooth ride. This is discouraging. I am telling myself that maybe its just the initial or from the peanut and a piece of chocolate i hate yesterday. Any of you still had some pimple like a couple here and there in your third month? and then things improved in the fourth?

I just wanted to say that it has been 2 months, and almost 3 weeks on spiro. So it hasn't been full 3 months yet.

I kept getting a few here and there consistently until the one year mark. Now I rarely get pimples, and when I do they are very small. But before that point, on spiro I got a cyst every once in awhile along with normal pimples pretty regularly, but at a MUCH less rate than my pre-spiro days. As long as there is improvement, I think you're doing great.