Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asar

Help for Spironolactone

Hey girls.

I am a 24 years old female who started taking 50 mg spironolactone around 3 weeks ago. I have hormonal acne that gets worse around that time of the month. My acne consists of hard under the skin bumbs on chin, and at times few smaller pimples and blocked pores on the sides of my cheeks. I have been struggling from this problem for a couple of years now, but lately it has gotten worse with weight loss. (never had acne as a teenager).I have tried a few OTC acne treatment but never got script for treatment because I knew my acne was hormonal. Anyway, I was going in to severe depression because of this annoying acne problem and would cry every other day. I thought Spironolactone might be my answer.

This has been my third week. After my second week, just before my period I got my usual breakout, but I thought it was a little worse than before and surprisingly it was mostly on my upper face unlike before. I got nothing on my chin. The breakout started subsiding in a few days. Now, it is the completion of my third week, and I am getting a painful under the skin bump. I thought I was over this, but it feels like I'm not. I was so hoping that I would at least stop getting those under the skin painful bumbs on my chin, but that was just wishful thinking. My main acne concern is on my chin, and the dreaded left over dark marks after it. I feel so low right now. I have never blogged or written before, but now I am at my wits end. I thought someone out there might understand my problem. At the moment, I feel quite hopeless, I dont know if there is any cure for me out there.

I don't know how long it's going to take before I see any improvement. Overall, I see some improvement in my skin. i.e my pores are smaller. And I feel that the amount of pimple I am getting is less too, but now this painful zit on my chin , it makes me think otherwise.

I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow. Possibly, going to talk about getting a higher dose.

Any spironolactone users out there? Your help or comments would be great appreciated.

Hey,

I completely understand what youre going through. I'm 24 and started suffering from hormonal acne after I went off yaz two years ago. I went on retin-a gel .04% first and it worked amazingly. When I look back in retrospect I never shouldve gone on the spirono. I only did it because retin-a didn't make me a 100 % clear like yaz did and I thought going on spirono would help me go from 90% clear to a 100. Huge mistake- within the first week of spirono (started at 25 mg) I started breaking out around my chin and jawline. The break out went from minor to severe over the next two months and the acne crawled all the way to my neck where I never had it in my life. After two weeks I went up to 50mg. When that didnt help I went up to 75, finally two months later I gave 100 mg a try and about 2 weeks later the break out was over. Basically, only after being on 100 mg for about two weeks did I see any difference.

Unfortunately, I stopped taking the drug in Sept. because I kept having to cancel blood work and dr. appointments bc of work. It was a huge mistake... I ended up breaking out horribly a month later. Last month I started taking 100 mg again and I have had no results... only more breakouts. I dont know if this is normal or if I screwed up my hormones bc I take 50mg two times a day now rather than taking the whole 100 mg at once as I did before.

Bottom line: Spirono worked great for me two months later after boosting intake to 100 mg. I wish someone warned me though of the breakout that would arise after I stopped taking it.

Best of luck.

Edited by sim020

ok so a month and a week on spiro so far. Its been a week on 100 mg per day. prior to that i was taking 50 mg. When will this medicine actually start working. I mean it is a little better than before like but I'm still getting pimples! Arrggggggg

Hang in there, it does work! It took me about 9 weeks to see an improvement. I started at 25 mg and went up 25mg every two weeks until I reached 100mg. After two weeks on 100 mg I finally saw improvement and stayed clear up until I stopped taking it in Sept. BIG mistake...hormonal acne came back and now I am waiting for the drug to kick in again after starting on 100 mg 4 weeks ago.

Hi,

I just started taking Spironolactone about two weeks ago. I already had a cyst pimple when I started taking it. But I have not had any new ones pop up. I currently treating the cyst pimple with BP. And if its not gone in a week. I am getting an injection in it. I have noticed that my skin less oily which has got to be helping. Maybe you need to just give it more time to work. As do I. I guess we both need to be patient.

Hi,

I just started taking Spironolactone about two weeks ago. I already had a cyst pimple when I started taking it. But I have not had any new ones pop up. I currently treating the cyst pimple with BP. And if its not gone in a week. I am getting an injection in it. I have noticed that my skin less oily which has got to be helping. Maybe you need to just give it more time to work. As do I. I guess we both need to be patient.

How many mg are you on?

ok so a month and a week on spiro so far. Its been a week on 100 mg per day. prior to that i was taking 50 mg. When will this medicine actually start working. I mean it is a little better than before like but I'm still getting pimples! Arrggggggg

Hang in there, it does work! It took me about 9 weeks to see an improvement. I started at 25 mg and went up 25mg every two weeks until I reached 100mg. After two weeks on 100 mg I finally saw improvement and stayed clear up until I stopped taking it in Sept. BIG mistake...hormonal acne came back and now I am waiting for the drug to kick in again after starting on 100 mg 4 weeks ago.

Hi

I just started taking 50mg per day two weeks ago now...i am breaking out even worse than i just was before i started it.. :( is this normal?? is it supposed to get worse before it gets better? i dont go back to my derm. for 6 1/2 more weeks..so i am gonna have to just take 50mg per day til i see her again or else if i double up i will run out and they wont fill it til she writes me out another script..so should i just stick with 50mg for the couple months total then and see what happens?

Hey, I had a small breakout at exactly two weeks too. Maybe you're having one too. It will subside soon, dont worry. If you are feeling anxious, why dont you call your doctor and ask her about another appointment soon. My husband is a doctor, and he keeps telling me that hormones are the slowest thing in our body, so it takes a lot of time. Just hang in there. It would work for you. You have been on it only two weeks. Look at me, I've been on it for 5 weeks, and on 100 mg for two weeks, and just like on 50 mg, on 100 mg I had a nasty big pimple right after two weeks. To make matters worst I picked at it, now I have a huge red scab on my cheek. I never get something like this.

My lips are sooo sooo dry it hurts to open my mouth. My skin which was already on the dry side, has gone drier over a few days.

I have read a lot of reviews from people, and they usually said that it takes at least 2-3 months to see a real difference.

Sim, I wish you luck. You have only been on it a month, it would work for you.

Guys, I think if your acne is not bad or severe, it might take longer to see a difference. My nurse who had huge pimples on her cheeks has been taking it too. It has really helped her. i feel that those with higher testosterone and bad acne, they quickly see a decrease in acne, and even if they are getting normal pimple, its doesn't seem that bad. I asked my nurse if she had completely stopped getting pimples after being on spiro for a month, she said that she gets some here and there, but it doesn't bother her that much because her skin was really bad before,However, if you are like me, and mostly just get 2-3 deel pimples on chin , and then blocked pores on forehead and tiny ones on cheeks, you might expect to see a difference quickly, but when it doesn't happen, it becomes frustrating.

Hey Sim

how is the retinol doing for you. I use no topical whatsoever. I am thinking about adding retinol to my regime. I want to start low, really low ..so it would cause mild cell turn over without breaking me out, and I am hoping being on spiro might help too.

Ive been on spironolactone for almost 4 months now and I must say...wow!!! It has been a miracle for my skin. I am 27 and have never had to deal with acne until about 6 months ago fir the first time in my life!! So it's been rough. Anyway, it has slowed my facial hair and the oil production, but I have to constantly moisturize. I had improvement within the first month. If at all possible please try and stick with it ladies, I think you will start to see results.

Now, the only problem that I am starting to have and that a few others on here are experiencing is hair loss. My hair has started to fall out to the point where it is alarming. So I went back to the derm and we are waiting on a series of tests, so I'm a little worried. I started off with 100 mg from my first derm and my new derm thinks that it was too high and that I should enstarted at 25 to get my body in tune with the med. So I am so disappointed with my last derm!! He didn't even recommend getting my potassium levels or blood pressure checked!!! What a quack!!

Anyway, good luck to all of you!

Edited by Hopeful~

Hey Sim

how is the retinol doing for you. I use no topical whatsoever. I am thinking about adding retinol to my regime. I want to start low, really low ..so it would cause mild cell turn over without breaking me out, and I am hoping being on spiro might help too.

I am using retin a micro gel .04%- considered to be mild, but only for spot treatment right now. I initially began using the retin a last year before being on spirono with combination of plexsion cleanser. Before I started the retinol I had broken out for a month but was finally able to control the jawline acne with BP. I still needed something to keep acne at bay and get rid of the scars that pigmented my skin. I didn't have an initial breakout like so many ppl normally tell of but l did peel and my face was a bit red. I was still happy considering I have fair, sensitive skin. After about a month the peeling and redness sub-sided. I really noticed an improvement in the pigmented skin after about 2 months.

It continued to work great and I even achieved my porcelain-like skin again.

But further along into the treatment I would get a cyst here or there around my cycle. I grew a tad possessive over my flawless skin and when these minor cycsts were becoming a reoccurring trend I completely over reacted and my derm. gave me two options; to go on a higher sterght retinol or do spirono. I went with spirono of course. Once I started spriono and got the inital breakout the retin a seemed ineffective, so I stopped using it. After the inital breakout I used just spirono with cetaphil cleanser and BP occasionally.

Now I am trying to spot treat a few white heads with the retin a while waiting out this awful initial breakout for round 2 of spirono. Honestly though Im starting to feel like no topical can combat the cysts I get while initially breaking out on spirono. but I feel like i have to put something there so I know that at least I tried.

Edited by sim020

Thanks sim020. I am thinking about starting retin a for spot treatment and some hyper pigmentation. WHen my hormones are really settled I might start putting retin a on my whole face slowly.

@ Hopeful. I'm so glad spiro is working for you. I hope it works for the rest of us. Hey, I was having an alarming rate of hair fall before starting spiro, but now it isn't that bad. I had been depressed for a long time. I cant see how spiro would cause hair loss but again it might. I have read that sometimes because of stress or just for no reason, our hair goes through a period of telegene effluvium* I think thats what you call it. I have no clue if I spelled it right. It usually stops on its own. It can stay for 6 months or so. Just take care of your diet and supplement with vitamins.

Im feeling a little frustrated with spiro as I've been on it since March 21, 2010 and have seen minimal results. I saw an improvement around 2 months and again around 6 months but now im battling clogged pores and some jawline acne. Ive been on 100mg since August and I' m wondering if its time for an increase? My skin is dry and flakey and clogging terribly in my chin again so I dont know if the sprio is too drying or I need more...Any ideas?

Im feeling a little frustrated with spiro as I've been on it since March 21, 2010 and have seen minimal results. I saw an improvement around 2 months and again around 6 months but now im battling clogged pores and some jawline acne. Ive been on 100mg since August and I' m wondering if its time for an increase? My skin is dry and flakey and clogging terribly in my chin again so I dont know if the sprio is too drying or I need more...Any ideas?

Are you using any topicals along with the spirono? Bc it certainly could be too drying, if so. I stopped retin a micro .04 which is a low strength retinol bc the combination of the retinol and 100 mg of spirono was too drying for me.

no i'm not really using anything too harsh. I've been washing with CeraVe cleanser, once a week use my clarisonic and moisturize with either seabuckthorn oil or dermalogicass ultra calming serum. I"m also on Oracea. I will spot treat a pimple with tree oil diluted with water because that is drying. I dont know what to do since spiro was supposed to be my miracle cure and i feel like i've given it a good shot....sorry to disappoint some of you. I dont know why Im getting breakouts on my jawline. When I started on spiro i never got them. Since October this is my main problem. Very Strange!! I wish I knew which way to proceed. Derms never know a dam thing...

no i'm not really using anything too harsh. I've been washing with CeraVe cleanser, once a week use my clarisonic and moisturize with either seabuckthorn oil or dermalogicass ultra calming serum. I"m also on Oracea. I will spot treat a pimple with tree oil diluted with water because that is drying. I dont know what to do since spiro was supposed to be my miracle cure and i feel like i've given it a good shot....sorry to disappoint some of you. I dont know why Im getting breakouts on my jawline. When I started on spiro i never got them. Since October this is my main problem. Very Strange!! I wish I knew which way to proceed. Derms never know a dam thing...

Hey wicky.

How long have you been taking Oracea for? Oracea could certainly have reactions like urticaria, papules and rashes if taken for a prolonged amount of time. I dont think its a good idea to keep taking any antibiotic for more than a month. It really weakens your immune system and can cause other skin reactions. Tell me why you started taking spironolactone if you never had any acne on your jaw or chin. Maybe your problem was not really hormonal but rather slow cell turn over? In any case, spiro should help because it blocks androgen. However, if you are overwhelming your skin with other medications, then you can have a skin reaction. Maybe, the acne you are getting is actually a small allergic reaction to oracea.

I would stop using seabuckhorn oil and just moisturize with Aloe vera. Why dont you stop oracea, just wash your face with cetaphil antibacterial bar, and then moisturize with aloe vera gel.

How was your acne before spiro. Did it use to get worse before your period? was there a certain pattern?

You can up your dose to 150 and stop using any other medication. Also stop the clarisonic thing. it might be too irritating for you. What kind of acne are you getting on your jaw line? Just simple wash your face with something very mild. And dont use any oil. Also wipe your face with towel. When your face is still a little wet, apply some mild moisture that suits you. Talk to your doctor about your situation. It can take some people up to a year.

A quick update on spiro:

Got my period yesterday WITHOUT ANY PAIN AT ALL. No bloating whatsoever. No cramping. No blocking or big clots (TMI I know). But seriously guys, I used to think i didn't have bad PMS at all, but my God with spiro, I have literally none! everything is running so smooth without any pain. I am on my second day. I didn't even know yesterday that I was getting my period, huh!

Thanks sim020. I am thinking about starting retin a for spot treatment and some hyper pigmentation. WHen my hormones are really settled I might start putting retin a on my whole face slowly.

@ Hopeful. I'm so glad spiro is working for you. I hope it works for the rest of us. Hey, I was having an alarming rate of hair fall before starting spiro, but now it isn't that bad. I had been depressed for a long time. I cant see how spiro would cause hair loss but again it might. I have read that sometimes because of stress or just for no reason, our hair goes through a period of telegene effluvium* I think thats what you call it. I have no clue if I spelled it right. It usually stops on its own. It can stay for 6 months or so. Just take care of your diet and supplement with vitamins.

Thanks asar, what you said makes sense bc I was down right depressed when my face started to scar, that could be the problem, major stress! Thanks, I feel better about this whole thing!

Wicky, I myself am on 200mgs and it has done wonders for me. I tried lowering it to a lower does, but it resulted in a bad breakout for me. Maybe you should consider upping your dosage to 125mg or 150, and see how that goes? I still get acne around my period, and it is pretty bad then. I also and still stuck with clogged pores. However, my acne was severe previously, and I had a minimum of 2 or 3 cysts on my face at one time, so this has been a vast improvement. Also, do you take BC with Spiro? I do not currently, but am thinking about it to see if it'll take away the acne around my period, because, even though my acne is 80% better, I want to be clear. Good luck!

thanks jen i have thinking the same thing...ive been on 100mg for a couple of months now and my pores were pretty good..its only in the last week my chin has gotten bad again. I started today at 112mg...I will start slowly upping my dosage by taking half of my 25mg pill a day...i dont want another breakout.

My period is not ending. Its the 6th day. Its kind of heavy too. I hope my period goes back to normal in a couple of months. I didn't really have any period breakouts or cramping, so I'm happy about that.

so my period was heavy this time and lasted 9 days! wow! So this was my first three weeks on 100 mg, and I saw how it was changing things in my body hence the longer pain free redder period. (tmi I know). Anyhow, so it has been 1 month and 3 weeks. I got my period 4 days earlier this time. I had no chin break out at all. As you guys might know that on 24th december I got this nasty pimple on my cheek which I messed with so much that now I have a big pinkish/brownish healing mark. After the 24th, I got my period on the 29th. No breakouts though. I had one blackhead/whitehead kind of pore near my mouth that I messed with and got it a little inflammed, but that went away in a couple of days. After that, a few days ago I got a small tiny pustule near my nose. Well even that pustule was from this already existing skin colored bump that had been there for many many months. I think since I was touching my face that day quite a lot, I must have irritated it. Well, that little pustule went away in a day. I am seeing progress. Steady slow progress. Things are changing. Hair can go without washing for many days.

I have had major depression and general anxiety for a few months now, I also clench my jaw during sleep. Due to which I experience weird pain in jaw and sometime chin area almost everyday. I end up touching my chin a lot every single day because of the weird pain. I start thinking every day that I will get a zit on my chin today..I guess my anxiety gets the best of me. I also feel tightness in my throat.

Anyway guys, I hope you all are doing well. Hang in there, and wait for steady progress for your skin.

This is for anyone out there who has dealt with acne for years and caused them MAJOR depression and suicidal thoughts. There is a cure. In my experience, Spironolactone worked.

Had acne for 12 years and it has been the most devastating thing in my life. Only fellow acne sufferers will know the emotional havoc in can do to one's life and self-image. Tried everything: topical creams, accutane (4 times: good while Im on it but acne comes back after 3 months; suffered the WORST initial breakout on my last round of accutane- will never take it again), bc pills, etc.

Came across spiro, requested it from my derm and he put me on a low dose-25 mg then 75 mg. The cure happened when I was put on the 125 mg dose. After 4 months, my face is acne free. I sometimes get little one's before a period (nothing like a baby quasar blue light can't handle) but nothing major and for once in my life not consistent anymore.

Coupled with prayers, I hope that I finally found my acne miracle and I hope that for anyone reading this who is desperate like I was..I wish you the best and I hope that it works out for you too.

Thanks Atan for sharing your experience.

It was with prayers I found spiro, I'm just a few days away from my 2 month mark. Slowly, spiro is working. I am on 100, but sometimes I increase my dose a little, like I go to up to 125 for couple of days, but that results in spotting and makes me start my period. Sorry for TMI. Anyway, I have just been getting weird blocked pores here and there which can easily be extracted. I am surprised though because my skin has become sooo dry, but I dont get why I would get weird blocked pores. Anyway, things are going well. I just need to give it more time. I really dont know if I should be upping my dose but the thing is that as soon as I up my dose my already flaky dry skin becomes painfully dry, and lips start to bleed with dryness. and my skin gets extremely tight and flaky dry on 125. So I think I just need to give 100mg more time. Its been a month but so far its good. :-)

All of the ladies out there, keep me posted with your results. I hope you all see your results soon. Be patient. :-)

Wicky, I myself am on 200mgs and it has done wonders for me. I tried lowering it to a lower does, but it resulted in a bad breakout for me. Maybe you should consider upping your dosage to 125mg or 150, and see how that goes? I still get acne around my period, and it is pretty bad then. I also and still stuck with clogged pores. However, my acne was severe previously, and I had a minimum of 2 or 3 cysts on my face at one time, so this has been a vast improvement. Also, do you take BC with Spiro? I do not currently, but am thinking about it to see if it'll take away the acne around my period, because, even though my acne is 80% better, I want to be clear. Good luck!

did u had any side effects on 200mg? how long u been taking it and what month u saw improvements? im on month 3 on 100mg & i haven't seen improvements yet while everyone else seen did. :(

Edited by ZitAckzHater

Hi Asar! Hang in there. Spiro didn't work for me until the 4th month. My period is also weird. I get my menstrual period every two weeks (two times a month). My derm prescribed me diane 35 birth control pill but Im afraid it might mess up my skin now that it's clear. Im still mustering the guts to take the pill. Maybe next month as my period is so irregular. Other than that, spiro did wonders for me. Ofcourse, this wouldn't have been possible without constant prayers.

Wish you the best! Talk to your derm about your dry skin. Maybe a certain moisturizer will work for you?