Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asar

Help for Spironolactone

Hey girls.

I am a 24 years old female who started taking 50 mg spironolactone around 3 weeks ago. I have hormonal acne that gets worse around that time of the month. My acne consists of hard under the skin bumbs on chin, and at times few smaller pimples and blocked pores on the sides of my cheeks. I have been struggling from this problem for a couple of years now, but lately it has gotten worse with weight loss. (never had acne as a teenager).I have tried a few OTC acne treatment but never got script for treatment because I knew my acne was hormonal. Anyway, I was going in to severe depression because of this annoying acne problem and would cry every other day. I thought Spironolactone might be my answer.

This has been my third week. After my second week, just before my period I got my usual breakout, but I thought it was a little worse than before and surprisingly it was mostly on my upper face unlike before. I got nothing on my chin. The breakout started subsiding in a few days. Now, it is the completion of my third week, and I am getting a painful under the skin bump. I thought I was over this, but it feels like I'm not. I was so hoping that I would at least stop getting those under the skin painful bumbs on my chin, but that was just wishful thinking. My main acne concern is on my chin, and the dreaded left over dark marks after it. I feel so low right now. I have never blogged or written before, but now I am at my wits end. I thought someone out there might understand my problem. At the moment, I feel quite hopeless, I dont know if there is any cure for me out there.

I don't know how long it's going to take before I see any improvement. Overall, I see some improvement in my skin. i.e my pores are smaller. And I feel that the amount of pimple I am getting is less too, but now this painful zit on my chin , it makes me think otherwise.

I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow. Possibly, going to talk about getting a higher dose.

Any spironolactone users out there? Your help or comments would be great appreciated.

Hey girls.

I am a 24 years old female who started taking 50 mg spironolactone around 3 weeks ago. I have hormonal acne that gets worse around that time of the month. My acne consists of hard under the skin bumbs on chin, and at times few smaller pimples and blocked pores on the sides of my cheeks. I have been struggling from this problem for a couple of years now, but lately it has gotten worse with weight loss. (never had acne as a teenager).I have tried a few OTC acne treatment but never got script for treatment because I knew my acne was hormonal. Anyway, I was going in to severe depression because of this annoying acne problem and would cry every other day. I thought Spironolactone might be my answer.

This has been my third week. After my second week, just before my period I got my usual breakout, but I thought it was a little worse than before and surprisingly it was mostly on my upper face unlike before. I got nothing on my chin. The breakout started subsiding in a few days. Now, it is the completion of my third week, and I am getting a painful under the skin bump. I thought I was over this, but it feels like I'm not. I was so hoping that I would at least stop getting those under the skin painful bumbs on my chin, but that was just wishful thinking. My main acne concern is on my chin, and the dreaded left over dark marks after it. I feel so low right now. I have never blogged or written before, but now I am at my wits end. I thought someone out there might understand my problem. At the moment, I feel quite hopeless, I dont know if there is any cure for me out there.

I don't know how long it's going to take before I see any improvement. Overall, I see some improvement in my skin. i.e my pores are smaller. And I feel that the amount of pimple I am getting is less too, but now this painful zit on my chin , it makes me think otherwise.

I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow. Possibly, going to talk about getting a higher dose.

Any spironolactone users out there? Your help or comments would be great appreciated.

Edited by asar

The announcements and feedback forum is for technical issues with the boards. Moved to Hormonal treatments forum. Please read over the forum headings and descriptions before posting. Thanks.

You can't expect a reply in 2 minutes. Some posts go days until they get a response.

Anyway, you need to give Spiro a good 6 months to see if it's going to work for you. Of course, 50 is a pretty low dose so give it 2 months on 50 and then up it.

You can't expect a reply in 2 minutes. Some posts go days until they get a response.

Anyway, you need to give Spiro a good 6 months to see if it's going to work for you. Of course, 50 is a pretty low dose so give it 2 months on 50 and then up it.

Thanks Lady Odd Duck.

I am quite new here, so don't know much about the rules. I was going through an extremely bad day today, hence, the impatience and hopelessness. I have been depressed for quite a few months, and when things with acne get a little worse, I start getting anxiety attack.

I really appreciate your response. Are you on spiro too?

Thats great. I hope 75 mg works for you. I have my appointment tomorrow. I will see if doctor can increase my dose. have you been clear on 100mg/day?

btw, I am 24 too. :)

Hi asar,

Don't worry, many of us have had anxiety due to our frustration over acne. It is nice to have a forum by which one can gauge the general consensus about treatment options, etc. I take 100 mg of spiro and it is the only thing that got me clear (I still get some pimples, but not as often or as bad). It takes awhile to see full results, couple months and you may get a flare up or two before you're healed but give it a chance to work. Always do research and consult your doctor if you are wanting to try other things. Good luck, hope spiro works for you!

I have been on 200mg spiro a day for one year now. It didn't fully clear my skin til this point, but it does gradually improve. Spiro is something you need to be patient with. You can't expect instant results. Good luck!

I have been on 200mg spiro a day for one year now. It didn't fully clear my skin til this point, but it does gradually improve. Spiro is something you need to be patient with. You can't expect instant results. Good luck!

Thanks Brenmc and Jen. You guys are so kind, and make me feel so much better.

Jen, I was just reading a few of your posts, and I could completely relate. I do the same things. I have a very loving husband who is away right now because of school. But when he is home sometimes I don't even let him touch my face or even look at me. I am always obsessing about my skin. Even if I have one pimple, I cry over it. I hate being like this. I hate being depressed. But I do hope that all of us out there start liking ourselves the way we are, and sooner than later, we wont have to deal with stupid acne!

Not fully clear, but I am by no means complaining. I don't get cysts anymore really, so that's good.

thats awesome Lady Odd Duck. I hope that spiro keeps on working for you better and better. :)

Edited by asar

ok, so my doctor just increased my dose to 100 mg. I hope it works better. Any new spiro users here?

hi

I have had moderate acne for years now..i am 31 ..and believe it is alot of hormonal acne since its all over my chin/jawline area. i have been prescribed many topical things and face washes etc and not really anything has helped. so i went back to my derm. yesterday for a followup after being on retin a micro at night and doryx oral each day and aczone in the morning. i am so fed up that i asked if she would consider putting me on spiro and she said ok we can try it for you and listed all the side effects and said i need to come back in 2 months to get blood work and stuff done . she started me on 50mg a day. i started taking today..wish me luck! anyone have any bad side effects?? i am sorta nervous taking it but dont know what else to try. feels like i have tried everything.

thanks!

Sherry :drool:

Nope. I dont have any bad side effects, and even if I do, they are so minor that I dont even notice them. I have been using 50 mg for 3 weeks. Today I just started taking 100 mg. Good luck. I hope it works for both of us.

Has anyone experienced any facial pain due to acne? or just random facial pain around chin area?

Hey guys, anyone heard about licorice root possibly minimizing the bad side effects of spiro. Such as potassium build up and what not. Look in to licorice if you are worried about the bad side effects. Make sure that you've never had high blood pressure though because licorice can do that. I am thinking about adding licorice extract to my regime. I dont think it would hurt to take some licorice here and there.

Oh, and I just wanted to quickly update. I am doing better than before. :-) I hope all of you are doing well too. :)

ok so a month and a week on spiro so far. Its been a week on 100 mg per day. prior to that i was taking 50 mg. When will this medicine actually start working. I mean it is a little better than before like but I'm still getting pimples! Arrggggggg