Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alan

blackheads and bp

People say it doesn't help that much.. They say using milk of magnesium or SA work better.. But Proactv states that BP does help - it bleaches the blackheads and they will naturnally come out over itme..

I use SA, wash off pat dry a little and let dry, then like 15 mins later or so i apply alot of bp.. what else should i do?

Pray. Because you're already doing about all you can do. Temporary solutions may work, but the real challenge lies in trying to keep the pores unclogged to begin with.

try an exfoliant. something with the g acid. it usually helps in unclogging pores.

I always get those stupid big whiteheads and blackheads on my nose...

bp doesn't seem to stop them

I think it drys them out, but then again im new here. how does bp not work for blackheads when people have been on the regimen with whiteheads and blackheads and are 99% clear?

bp and the regimen over time will reduce the incidence of blackheads by reducing the amount of oil on the skin and improving keratinzation. But remember bp is an antibacterial agent - it kills bacteria. Blackheads, Milia and clogged pores are non inflammed and do not have bacteria present. If you want to address those things then you need a more effective keratolytic agent which really focuses on accelerating the rate of exfoliation ie: retin a, bha , aha. The problem is that most anti acne agents cause irritation and the more agents you use the more irritated your skin becomes. A lot of regimen users include an aha moituriser in their routine (Renewal is pretty well tolerated), many do a mask or scrub every now and then, a few daring people use a bha with the routine. I would advise to stick with the regimen for say 8 weeks before you start adding in any other elements.

alan,

they are clear because their acne was the inflammatory type, whiteheads fall under the clogged pores category, I tried the regimen on them, it didn't do much other than dry the hell out of my skin and make it all flakey and stuff.

Right, so i'm not sure what I've learnt from this thread... I'll try and think out loud:

The regimen has worked well for me so far. I'm in week 6 and waiting for the red marks to fade. I get the occasional spot (red, raised, and with a white center. painful to touch. these last one or two days) but my main aggravation is still whiteheads.

There's no pain and they have a life of a day, but they ruin the overall look of my skin, especially if i have 2 or 3 at different locations around my face...

So, BP won't help against these? Nor blackheads?

Going along with frances' advice, I'm going to stay true to the regimen for another couple weeks, but after that what would be good to possibly add? I've been tempted for a while by the numerous mentions of SA... so I could try the C&C scrub, ja? Also tempting is a Eucerin moisturiser. Is SA the same as AHA?

My, I'm dizzy now. Thinking to myself is challenging enough, let alone out loud.

My derm put me on Retin-a micro to help combat not only my acne, but my blackheads and whiteheads as well. My nose is super-prone to blackheads, and after using the retina I SORT OF saw a difference... I've been on it a year now, and I still have/get blackheads. It hasn't helped. I think the only thing that really does help are 1.) the blackhead pore cleansing strips (not good for sensitive skin) or 2.) Accutane or some sort of laser/peel treatment.

I also use a SA wash twice a day, sometimes 3... still no difference in my blackheads - and i've been using it for over a year now.

Ahh. Thank you frances. Notes have been taken. I'm distressed that skincare is fast becoming my hobby.

On an unrelated note, what's the story behind your signature picture? Reminds me of work by an artist called David Falconer...

Yes, becoming a skin expert is envitable. Before you know it you will have a more in depth knowledge of acne than your derm.

my sig no story...my signature pic always showcase things that I think are interesting in some way - I change it every three weeks or so. Thank you for the Falconer link. The pic on show atm is of Rat-King (1993) by sculptor Katharina Fritsch. To give you an idea of scale

user posted image