Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chikyuu

Maybe my acne is hormonal?

I've been on the normal DKR for 5 months now and I'm still breaking out. I'm reducing my BP because my skin is so dry due to my climate and water conditions hoping if my skin is less dry I'll clear up more. But I've noticed a really odd cycle going on with my acne.

The only time I'm really clear is the week BEFORE my PMS week. It's really strange. It goes something like this:

Week 1: Period, lasts for 3 days, then the rest of the week

Week 2: Constant mild breakouts

Week 3: Breakouts stop for this one week

Week 4: PMS with moodswings and bloating and cravings, etc.

Do you think I have some kind of hormonal problem with my teen acne and it's not just topical? Last year I did the DKR and it worked great, probably because my teen hormones produced more oil and more acne so my skin could better tolerate the full dose of BP is what I'm thinking.

Anyway, any ideas?

Well, of course acne is hormonal. (Taking steroids [testosterone] gives you acne.) That should tell everyone that it's hormonal :P

Topical application, in a good majority of cases, won't completely clear anyone but it will keep the breakouts at bay and stop them from getting worse.

Do you eat any soy/dairy? Try cutting both of those out from your diet. (Read the ingredients on everything you eat. If under the ingredients list it says "Contains Soy/Dairy/Milk" don't eat it and see how that works out.)

I do eat a decent amount of dairy, but hardly any soy. I really love my dairy though D: maybe if I go a while without dairy I can see how it goes, but I don't know if it's going to do anything.

I do eat a decent amount of dairy, but hardly any soy. I really love my dairy though D: maybe if I go a while without dairy I can see how it goes, but I don't know if it's going to do anything.

Try completely cutting both out for a week or so and see if you achieve any improvement from that.

Birth control worked for me to fix my hormones when they went out of wack. I would suggest a monophasic pill too because it has steady levels of hormones throughout each week.

If your not comfortable with synthetic hormones you could try other natural methods to control you hormones such as Vitex, Saw Palmetto, and other herbal remedies.

I didn't cut out dairy, just milk. I can't give up my cheese. :) But Almond milk is a delicious subsitute if you want to stop drinking milk.

Birth control worked for me to fix my hormones when they went out of wack. I would suggest a monophasic pill too because it has steady levels of hormones throughout each week.

If your not comfortable with synthetic hormones you could try other natural methods to control you hormones such as Vitex, Saw Palmetto, and other herbal remedies.

I didn't cut out dairy, just milk. I can't give up my cheese. :) But Almond milk is a delicious subsitute if you want to stop drinking milk.

I thought the same about Saw Palmetto, but I asked around here and many people said it helped. Why would it be hard to get ahold of Birth control if you don't mind me asking?

Guest Timehealsall

chikyuu, maybe if you do indeed have hormonal acne, you could try some herbs that balance out hormones? I am trying to find some as well, and if i do find them, i will let you know.

I have also heard that exercise is great for balancing hormones, so many you should exercise more often? (although i do exercise a lot, and i still get a lot of acne, so maybe it isnt ALWAYS hormonal?)

good luck.

I thought the same about Saw Palmetto, but I asked around here and many people said it helped. Why would it be hard to get ahold of Birth control if you don't mind me asking?

Wow, that's odd. My Dad used to take it and he's 50. X_X But uh, I can't really get to a doctor and my Mom kind of won't allow me to get birth control unless I'm actually... screwing someone.

chikyuu, maybe if you do indeed have hormonal acne, you could try some herbs that balance out hormones? I am trying to find some as well, and if i do find them, i will let you know.

I have also heard that exercise is great for balancing hormones, so many you should exercise more often? (although i do exercise a lot, and i still get a lot of acne, so maybe it isnt ALWAYS hormonal?)

good luck.

I might pick up some herbs. But I try to exercise a few days a week at least with mostly strength training.

Ahhhh. Well I wouldn't want you getting in trouble with your parents. But you can go to Planned Parenthood and get some for free if you wish. I've also heard good things about Chast Tree Berry, Evening Primrose Oil, and Don Quai.

Good luck!

P.S. Here is a thread about hormonal acne and different treatments.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Treating-....html&st=20

Lame!

Well, then I suppose you could try the other previously mentioned natural methods. And seriously, I've talked with some who swear they got rid of acne through Acupuncture. It's an idea. It may be fairly expensive though....

Duuuuude. I began drinking more milk and I broke out. I got two pimples. Now, I did have my period around the same time,so I don't know....but just thought I'd let you know since you guys were talking about dairy.

heya, just had a read of the thread here. You are 16 (as you know) and at that age your skin is going to be affected by hormones in a much larger way than an adults skin would. Your hormones calm down between 18 and 26 so things should improve but trust me don't sit around waiting until then to get treatment.

I have tried diets, suppliments, topicals, antibiotics (topical and internal) and birth control with varying levels of success.

diets have been shown to improve acne but no study has showed complete clearage (though some individuals have claimed this, there are a few on acne.org which seem genuine). Nicomide is one medication which has prooven improvements (its a mixture of suppliments). I have not tried it myself but genuine scientific studies have shown it to have a significant effect on acne.

hormones can be checked by a doctor (checking for too much testosterone, PCOS etc)

Hormonal acne can be treated with birth control but its a big decision, as with any medication there are side effects which can include mood swings, personality changes, changes in who you find attractive, nausia and hair loss... always read about something before trying it. Birth control really helped my acne but also changed my personality and made me feel sick every day

antibiotics messed with my tummy (I have IBS so that was pretty predictable), they can be very effective for some people but can also mess with the microflora in your gut and your p acnes bacteria can grown immune. plus thrush can be an issue

topicals are annoying to apply but cut down on the internal and personality side effects. There are loads out there to try. I am on finacea personally and its almost completely cleared me with very very minimal negative effects (its a little itchy for a few mins in the morning then that goes away).

good luck, try not to yo-yo diet looking for an acne cure like many of us have here. Your developing body needs all the nutrients it can get at this age.

if you do decide to try birth control I have read that yasmin is great for acne and has few side effects, I think its reviewed on acne.org so you could go look at that. Your gonna be hormonally all over the place till you finish your teens anyway so birth control could be a good plan to calm things down till your adult levels of hormone kick in later on...

good luck

Wow, that's a lot of info, thank you ^^ Yeah, I'm not going to try antibiotics if I can help it, I've heard it messes with your gut flora whole lot, even birth control seems to. I highly doubt unless my acne flares severely that my parents will take me to a doctor for it because of our finances.

Any kind of "diet" I'm on is just trying to reduce my starchy food consumption for health reasons, as well as strength training a few times a week, but I'm not starving myself, I had a phase of that before and thank God it's over.

I think my acne's a whole lot different than it was even a year or two ago, it was far worse and my skin was much oilier, it's less oily now to the point I can't seem to use 4 pumps of BP, and I get far less acne than I used to. It'll probably keep improving as the years go by.

Wow, that's a lot of info, thank you ^^ Yeah, I'm not going to try antibiotics if I can help it, I've heard it messes with your gut flora whole lot, even birth control seems to. I highly doubt unless my acne flares severely that my parents will take me to a doctor for it because of our finances.

Any kind of "diet" I'm on is just trying to reduce my starchy food consumption for health reasons, as well as strength training a few times a week, but I'm not starving myself, I had a phase of that before and thank God it's over.

I think my acne's a whole lot different than it was even a year or two ago, it was far worse and my skin was much oilier, it's less oily now to the point I can't seem to use 4 pumps of BP, and I get far less acne than I used to. It'll probably keep improving as the years go by.

just something to note, if you are doing any form of training then starchy food is usually recomended to be increased as you are burning more energy so maybe if you keep yours at the recomended amount it would be better... making sure its slow burning carbs rather than fast burning (wholegrain instead of white/refined bread/pasta/rice...). That may help your skin as studies are currently looking into how GI effects acne development (GI is about how fast sugars are released into your blood stream in case you don't know about GI).

I lost alot of weight on elimination diets but researched into it and found that if you significantly reduce your body fat it can cause hormonal changes which can trigger acne. Specifically anorexic girls can end up with acne due to increased testosterone caused by having much less body fat than they need. So basically if you want to reduce your acne try not to get too thin. you need a certain level of fat to keep your hormones in check.

heres a good bit of info from the british food standards agency

http://www.frankswebspace.org.uk/nutrition...lplatelarge.jpg

I changed these proportions due to my acne. I decided that carbs should be between 1/4 to 1/3 of my intake of food, protein should be between 1/4 and 1/3 and veg should be anything from 1/3 to 1/2 of my intake of food all depending on my activity level at the time. This seems to be going well so far and I am much healthier for it.

what treatment are you going to try, there are many over the counter products to choose from if going to a doctor is out of the question. Finacea has really been a godsend to me, you need a GP's prescription but I hear in some couintries you can just get it over the counter. Its much less irritating than Benzoyl Peroxide, doesnt bleach things and does not make your skin more sensitive to the sun. I am pretty much totally clear for a few months now, I started using it in june this year wth a once a day application. I am upping it to two to get rid of my jawline acne as thats all thats left.

god sorry to be so ME,ME,ME here lol. I just wish someone told me this stuff ten years ago when I was 16.

Hope you find something that works for you soon, let me know if you ever have any questions :)

I've actually looked into low GI foods and diets, and honestly whole grains don't sound a whole lot much better than the white grains. They both give me horrible food/starch/sugar cravings throughout the day so I might be sensitive to them. My mom was gestationally (pregnant) diabetic so I'm probably more sensitive to high-glucose foods than the average teen.

I have studied a couple of GI charts lately and whole grain isn't looking too good.

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_d...p#axzz18sm4AE00

http://www.carbs-information.com/glycemic-index.htm

On the diabetes net one, table sugar is 64, right?

Wheat bread is 68.

Special K is 54.

Total cereal is 76.

Grape nuts is 67. Rice cakes 80, Wheat thins 67.

Carbs info says White bread is 70, while whole wheat bread is 67. whole wheat spaghetti 37, white spaghetti 38. White rice 69, brown rice 50. Brown rice doesn't seem too bad and Im very surprised at the spaghetti, but you get my point, it doesnt look like a significant difference between wheat and white in most cases to me.

Edited by Chikyuu

true, its important to be careful to ensure you get enough soluble and insoluble fibre though if you do decide to cut out breads. Many people on acne.org have cut out breads and similar foods and swear by it. Governments fortify things like cereals, breads and margarine and this has shown to prevent diseases in the population. As with any diet where something is avoided, its always a good idea to look into how to replace lost nutrients.

Regardless, eating like a diabetic is recomended by dieticians so sounds like your reading the right stuff, just ensure you adjust for physical activity so you don't become too thin and increase your testosterone levels

Again if your interested in whether your acne is hormonal its worth reading into testosterone and taking that into consideration when planning your diet considering how body weight affects it.

good luck

Have you ever tried supplements? Like fish oil. vitamin e, or vitamin a. I've also heard good things about b5 and zinc. You can take them and still continue your topical regimen.

Have you ever tried supplements? Like fish oil. vitamin e, or vitamin a. I've also heard good things about b5 and zinc. You can take them and still continue your topical regimen.

My Mom said taking lots of Fish Oil and Zinc helped clear her up, so I'm taking 1400-2800mg of fish oil and 50-100mg of zinc a day. <3

true, its important to be careful to ensure you get enough soluble and insoluble fibre though if you do decide to cut out breads. Many people on acne.org have cut out breads and similar foods and swear by it. Governments fortify things like cereals, breads and margarine and this has shown to prevent diseases in the population. As with any diet where something is avoided, its always a good idea to look into how to replace lost nutrients.

Regardless, eating like a diabetic is recomended by dieticians so sounds like your reading the right stuff, just ensure you adjust for physical activity so you don't become too thin and increase your testosterone levels

Again if your interested in whether your acne is hormonal its worth reading into testosterone and taking that into consideration when planning your diet considering how body weight affects it.

good luck

I don't think I can cut out bread entirely with what my parents tend to buy, but I'm definitely cutting it down. A lot of low-carb supplement foods, like dreamfields pasta or atkins bars or something, which I indulge in from time to time, often have a lot of fiber added. I'm also trying to eat more green veggies like asparagus, broccoli, spinach, low sugar fruit like some apples, melons, berries, etc. Just avoiding bananas potatoes and corn for sure, and not having too much carrots and peas. Of course all of the vegetables I LIKE I'm cutting down on and all the fruit I never eat I have to start. =P

And I did have a phase where I got too thin just by obsessively exercising and cutting calories. That phase is definitely over. I highly doubt I'll become too thin because I do cheat more than I should. But I've made a lot of improvements!

As far as testosterone, maybe strength exercise and a diet with higher amounts of saturated fat and protein might heighten my testosterone a little, but I don't worry about it. It's not like I'm gonna grow a beard and get bulky and ripped anytime soon.

heya, just had a read of the thread here. You are 16 (as you know) and at that age your skin is going to be affected by hormones in a much larger way than an adults skin would. Your hormones calm down between 18 and 26 so things should improve but trust me don't sit around waiting until then to get treatment.

I have tried diets, suppliments, topicals, antibiotics (topical and internal) and birth control with varying levels of success.

diets have been shown to improve acne but no study has showed complete clearage (though some individuals have claimed this, there are a few on acne.org which seem genuine). Nicomide is one medication which has prooven improvements (its a mixture of suppliments). I have not tried it myself but genuine scientific studies have shown it to have a significant effect on acne.

hormones can be checked by a doctor (checking for too much testosterone, PCOS etc)

Hormonal acne can be treated with birth control but its a big decision, as with any medication there are side effects which can include mood swings, personality changes, changes in who you find attractive, nausia and hair loss... always read about something before trying it. Birth control really helped my acne but also changed my personality and made me feel sick every day

antibiotics messed with my tummy (I have IBS so that was pretty predictable), they can be very effective for some people but can also mess with the microflora in your gut and your p acnes bacteria can grown immune. plus thrush can be an issue

topicals are annoying to apply but cut down on the internal and personality side effects. There are loads out there to try. I am on finacea personally and its almost completely cleared me with very very minimal negative effects (its a little itchy for a few mins in the morning then that goes away).

good luck, try not to yo-yo diet looking for an acne cure like many of us have here. Your developing body needs all the nutrients it can get at this age.

if you do decide to try birth control I have read that yasmin is great for acne and has few side effects, I think its reviewed on acne.org so you could go look at that. Your gonna be hormonally all over the place till you finish your teens anyway so birth control could be a good plan to calm things down till your adult levels of hormone kick in later on...

good luck

Just while i was in my deep thoughts about realising most fat ppl i see seldom are the ones that have acne. EIther they are very fat or silm but acne problems.

This is what i thoguht before, i might be wrong thou:

excessed fat is eliminated no matter what, either through skin pores OR if failed to do so store under skin.

i tell myself i rather be fat than, at least it is more normal right? hardly see alot pimple acne face walking around everywhere aint?

My Mom said taking lots of Fish Oil and Zinc helped clear her up, so I'm taking 1400-2800mg of fish oil and 50-100mg of zinc a day. <3

Ahh ok. You should try vitamin a. it's completely cleared me up.

Just while i was in my deep thoughts about realising most fat ppl i see seldom are the ones that have acne. EIther they are very fat or silm but acne problems.

This is what i thoguht before, i might be wrong thou:

excessed fat is eliminated no matter what, either through skin pores OR if failed to do so store under skin.

i tell myself i rather be fat than, at least it is more normal right? hardly see alot pimple acne face walking around everywhere aint?

the "we don't see amany fat people with acne" / "I only see skinny people with acne" discussuin has happened on acne.org before. It seems to upset some people but I do think that since having a low body weight can increase your testosterone levels and having high testosterone can increase acne it is worth investigating.

I just make sure my diet has plenty of UNSATURATED fats and that I remain within my healthy weight range.