Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
outcast623

Nobiletin

Hello all, I am desperately looking for something to stop my facial over production of sebum. I know there has been a decent amount of talk about Nobiletin. However I have only heard of people talking about a pre-mixed cream that no one really knows how much Nobiletin they are actually getting.

Take a look at this.

www. skinactives.com/product/detail.aspx?prodID=203

I just ordered some, thought I would try a couple different strengths of mixes.

Anyone else try this yet? any reviews?

I am skeptical of a topical that makes much of a difference, but I don't know what else to try. :boohoo:

Edited by outcast623

Hi there!

I ordered some Nobiletin (in crystalline form) from a Chinese company a few months ago. It worked so well it's scary! After mixing it into a cream and applying it, my skin stopped being an oil tap for about 12 hours (my skin has been producing oil steadily 24x7 for the last 15 years). As a side effect of the stopping of the oil, my pimple problem effectively disappeared and my skin was very smooth.

Unfortunately the chemical I received from the Chinese company had some dangerous impurities in it and I had to stop using the product. I advise strongly against buying direct from a Chinese manufacturer - you just can't trust that what you get is the right thing. It's also very expensive to test a chemical properly so that path is just not practical (or safe) for an individual.

I searched for Nobiletin again about a week ago and found Skin Actives. I ordered the powdered version of Nobiletin from them and will be mixing it into a cream myself.

I'll post the results on acne.org!

Hello all, I am desperately looking for something to stop my facial over production of sebum. I know there has been a decent amount of talk about Nobiletin. However I have only heard of people talking about a pre-mixed cream that no one really knows how much Nobiletin they are actually getting.

Take a look at this.

I am skeptical of a topical that makes much of a difference, but I don't know what else to try. :boohoo:

Edited by jsmithson

I've also sourced nobiletin and niacinamide from skinactives (a dependable supplier in my own experience) and used them in 4% solution each. I apply the solution by aspersion (perfume bottle with pump) on clean skin. I've been doing this on and off for a couple of months, so I have enough history to form an opinion.

The response is measurable wrt sebum. As with previous topicals, it's no magic wand. I *am* seeing some 50% reduction which holds up through much of the day, but I'm no better off at the end of it. Bear in mind that I apply makeup base as soon as the nobiletin/niacinamide solution dries out, so I'm not helping. If you don't need makeup it may work out better.

Verdict: buy.

Caveat: I've only tested nobiletin COMBINED with niacinamide, there is an off chance niacinamide is al least partly responsible for the result. 4% topical niacinamide has been found in a study to have better response for acne than 1% clyndamicin gel.

Edited by radikal

hey radikal, good to hear from you.

So your using Nobiletin at a 4% strength?

What are you dissolving it in?

Also what is this "makeup base" that you speak of?

take care

I suppose. Probably a bit higher, like 5-6%, I didn't look up the molar mass.

bottled water. Distilled water would be preferable. whatever.

You may know it as "foundation"; Almay brand if you must know :)

I suppose. Probably a bit higher, like 5-6%, I didn't look up the molar mass.

bottled water. Distilled water would be preferable. whatever.

You may know it as "foundation"; Almay brand if you must know :)

Thanks for the response radikal. I have a few questions:

Nobiletin is a poor water soluble substance. "Because the nobiletin is a poor water-soluble

drug" - http://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index...wFile/1462/1639

"Nobiletin has very low solubility in water" - http://dev.purematters.com/herbs-supplements/n/nobiletin

I have seen other reports that say Nobiletin is sparingly soluble in water. Im surprised your getting around 5% dissolved.

Secondly using just distilled water is not a very good vehicle. The vehicle is just as important as the drug/active ingredient itself. You really need to add some sort of penetration aid like Propylene Glycol or DMI(Dimetyl Isosorbide) or Ethanol.

With distilled water alone there will be a lot of the Nobiletin that wont make it down to the sebaceous glands. A better vehicle would render better results I believe.

And last but not least, yes I know of foundation. I assume your using it to cover old acne marks? Or maybe not?

Edited by {DC}

Secondly using just distilled water is not a very good vehicle. The vehicle is just as important as the drug/active ingredient itself. You really need to add some sort of penetration aid like Propylene Glycol or DMI(Dimetyl Isosorbide) or Ethanol.

finally found an use for that Ouzo bottle, the stuff is undrinkable :)

Cheers and Happy New Year.

And last but not least, yes I know of foundation. I assume your using it to cover old acne marks? Or maybe not?

old, new...

I want to thank outcast for starting this thread. I had tried sana fela's nobiletin cream a year or so ago without much luck. I think I stopped using it because I found the orange scent of it too cloying and overpowering.

Anyway, after reading his post, I ordered the serum from skin actives and have been using it for about three and a half weeks ago, and my skin is doing fantastic. My oil has decreased to near normal levels and is looking really clear except for a couple small spots. Haven't felt this good about my skin in a long time.

I use their nobiletin serum twice a day. In the morning, I just wash with water and apply the serum. At night, I wash with a glycerin soap, apply the serum and a little moisturizer and it's all good. Really, really recommend this.

dan52,

thanks for the feedback. Is the serum your using called T-Zone Serum, which is part of their acne control kit?

Also I read an old post of yours about your post Accutane skin dryness. Did your skin ever recover from that?

dan52,

thanks for the feedback. Is the serum your using called T-Zone Serum, which is part of their acne control kit?

Also I read an old post of yours about your post Accutane skin dryness. Did your skin ever recover from that?

Yup, it's the T-Zone Serum. I use it all over my face despite the name.

And yeah, my skin did eventually recovered from the accutane dryness, it just took a while. I went to the dermotologist and he said I had gotten eczema on my face. I was taking some black currant seed oil and moisturizing a lot and it eventually got back to normal. One thing I had found though through trial and error was that the jojoba oil I had used and loved really did end up causing my skin to dry out and worsen the condition.

dan52,

And yeah, my skin did eventually recovered from the accutane dryness, it just took a while. I went to the dermotologist and he said I had gotten eczema on my face. I was taking some black currant seed oil and moisturizing a lot and it eventually got back to normal. One thing I had found though through trial and error was that the jojoba oil I had used and loved really did end up causing my skin to dry out and worsen the condition.

thanks for the reply. how oily was your skin before nobiletin? Very oily?

Caveat: I've only tested nobiletin COMBINED with niacinamide, there is an off chance niacinamide is al least partly responsible for the result. 4% topical niacinamide has been found in a study to have better response for acne than 1% clyndamicin gel.

I used niacinamide for years, compounded with a gel base. Never did a thing for my oily skin but I do think it had some anti-inflammatory effects which was helpful for my acne.

I use their nobiletin serum twice a day. In the morning, I just wash with water and apply the serum. At night, I wash with a glycerin soap, apply the serum and a little moisturizer and it's all good. Really, really recommend this.

Are you referring to the same serum here? You don't mean that you use the T-Zone Serum AND pure nobiletin, right? I'm interested because I was considering the Skin Actives T-Zone Serum myself.

Acne Control Cream with T-Zone Serum and ZitEnder, Serum Only

Is this what you are using? Is this product better than just using nobiletin by itself with water?

Did anybody have a problem with this product?

I'm just worried about this product because it's not really well known yet.

dan52,

I'd like to try this serum, but I also need a moisturizer with SPF. Or maybe I could just apply a sunscreen over the serum. I probably wouldn't use Dan's BP in the morning if I used the serum, because the serum also has acne fighting effects, right? Or is it just to decrease sebum. Can anyone recommend any good moisturizers with SPF for oily skin? Or any good Of 15 or 30 sunscreens for oily skin?

Are you referring to the same serum here? You don't mean that you use the T-Zone Serum AND pure nobiletin, right? I'm interested because I was considering the Skin Actives T-Zone Serum myself.

Yes, it's the same serum. The T-Zone serum has nobelitin in it, so I referred to it as the nobiletin serum in my earlier post. I haven't tried the pure nobelitin that they offer.

To answer DC's question, my forehead was very oily before -- the rest of my face was only slightly oily, but now things are much better.

For ParanoidAndroid, I personally would try this without BP. My skin is clearer now than it was when I had followed Dan's regimen with BP. First, the nobelitin will reduce the oil and lead to fewer breakouts, and there other ingredients like niacinamide that help clear your skin.

How much of an oil decrease would you say you saw and how long did you start to notice the decrease?

What happens if you stop using the product? Does the oily skin come back?

Edited by wowacne

Yes, it's the same serum. The T-Zone serum has nobelitin in it, so I referred to it as the nobiletin serum in my earlier post. I haven't tried the pure nobelitin that they offer.

To answer DC's question, my forehead was very oily before -- the rest of my face was only slightly oily, but now things are much better.

For ParanoidAndroid, I personally would try this without BP. My skin is clearer now than it was when I had followed Dan's regimen with BP. First, the nobelitin will reduce the oil and lead to fewer breakouts, and there other ingredients like niacinamide that help clear your skin.

Ok thanks, I might have to give this a shot. Are you using any SPF moisturizers with it in the morning? I really need one for oily skin, although if the T Zone Serum works, I could probably use any. Also, what moisturizer are you using at night?

And sorry for all these questions, but how much of the serum do you put on? Is it like a thin layer, or more? And how long would you say one bottle would last? Thanks.

Also, what glycerin soap are you using?

Edited by ParanoidAndroid

Here's what I'm doing:

Morning:

Wash face with water only in the shower.

Apply 4 drops of skin actives T-zone serum to palm of my hand, then apply all over my face/neck.

Evening:

Wash face with warm water and bar of Neutrogena Transparent Facial Bar, fragrance free version.

Apply 4 drops of skin actives T-zone serum to palm of my hand, then apply all over my face/neck.

Apply Complex 15 moisturizer.

I wasn't sure exactly how much of the serum to use since the directions don't specify exactly, but 4 drops seems to be working well. It's a thin layer when spread over the entire face/neck. I've been doing this for a month now and I estimate that the bottle probably lasts 6 weeks when using this much.

I'm not using any SPF moisturizer, but if I had to guess, don't think it would cause a problem if you use an oil-free one during the day. Still though, I'd try without it for a few weeks just to see how you do without it first.

For wowacne,

I started noticing results after a week, maybe even during the first week. At this point, I think there's probably a 75-80% reduction in oil. My forehead used to get oily within an hour or two in the morning and felt and looked pretty greasy. Now, it gets only a slight shine to it by the end of the day and doesn't feel unpleasant to the touch. One quick blot with a tissue and I'm fine. The rest of my face seems to be normalized for the most part. I used to have a lot of whiteheads/blackheads on my forehead because of all the oil, but those are virtually clear at this point. It really is the best I've felt about my skin since I was on accutane.

I don't know for sure, but would guess the effect stops if you stop using the product.

Well I ordered the T-Zone Serum from Skin Actives yesterday so we'll see how well it works. It's funny that dan52 brought it up in this thread because last week I had just stumbled upon the T-Zone Serum myself and was debating whether or not to give it a shot.

Here's what I'm doing:

Morning:

Wash face with water only in the shower.

Evening:

Wash face with warm water and bar of Neutrogena Transparent Facial Bar, fragrance free version.

Apply Complex 15 moisturizer.

I wasn't sure exactly how much of the serum to use since the directions don't specify exactly, but 4 drops seems to be working well. It's a thin layer when spread over the entire face/neck. I've been doing this for a month now and I estimate that the bottle probably lasts 6 weeks when using this much.

I'm not using any SPF moisturizer, but if I had to guess, don't think it would cause a problem if you use an oil-free one during the day. Still though, I'd try without it for a few weeks just to see how you do without it first.

For wowacne,

I started noticing results after a week, maybe even during the first week. At this point, I think there's probably a 75-80% reduction in oil. My forehead used to get oily within an hour or two in the morning and felt and looked pretty greasy. Now, it gets only a slight shine to it by the end of the day and doesn't feel unpleasant to the touch. One quick blot with a tissue and I'm fine. The rest of my face seems to be normalized for the most part. I used to have a lot of whiteheads/blackheads on my forehead because of all the oil, but those are virtually clear at this point. It really is the best I've felt about my skin since I was on accutane.

I don't know for sure, but would guess the effect stops if you stop using the product.

Thanks. I think I'll give this a shot. I'll probably only use 2-3 drops as I would only need it on my t zone or face. Are you using the Complex 15 cream or lotion? Once I run out of Dan's new moisturizer, (which I liked at first, but not so much anymore) I want to try a new one, but I can't decide which one to use. I'm trying to choose between Cerave, Cetaphil, and Complex 15.

That is amazing results.... I wish I will experience the same!! 80% reduction is very significant, I've never had any sort of results before. I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks

Thanks. I think I'll give this a shot. I'll probably only use 2-3 drops as I would only need it on my t zone or face. Are you using the Complex 15 cream or lotion? Once I run out of Dan's new moisturizer, (which I liked at first, but not so much anymore) I want to try a new one, but I can't decide which one to use. I'm trying to choose between Cerave, Cetaphil, and Complex 15.

I've used all four of those moisturizers before. I'm using the Complex 15 facial cream currently and I'd recommend either that or the Complex 15 lotion. Frankly I can barely tell the difference between the two formulations, but the facial cream is a bit more convenient for me because of the tube. It's a very light moisturizer but sinks in and moisturizes pretty well.

I'd definitely recommend avoiding Cetaphil for now. The lotion is notorious for being a little greasy/shiny although it really does lock in moisture well. The added grease and increased breakouts (in my experience) is not worth it though. The Cetaphil cream is probably a little better but still pretty heavy duty.

As for Cerave, I'm kind of ho hum about it. I wanted to really like it because of all the new-age ceramide stuff that it pushes on the label, but I felt that it wasn't really good for oily skin. Like when my skin would get oilier later in the day, my skin would be covered in a mixture of oil and not fully absorbed Cerave which just felt uncomfortable.

I've used all four of those moisturizers before. I'm using the Complex 15 facial cream currently and I'd recommend either that or the Complex 15 lotion. Frankly I can barely tell the difference between the two formulations, but the facial cream is a bit more convenient for me because of the tube. It's a very light moisturizer but sinks in and moisturizes pretty well.

I'd definitely recommend avoiding Cetaphil for now. The lotion is notorious for being a little greasy/shiny although it really does lock in moisture well. The added grease and increased breakouts (in my experience) is not worth it though. The Cetaphil cream is probably a little better but still pretty heavy duty.

As for Cerave, I'm kind of ho hum about it. I wanted to really like it because of all the new-age ceramide stuff that it pushes on the label, but I felt that it wasn't really good for oily skin. Like when my skin would get oilier later in the day, my skin would be covered in a mixture of oil and not fully absorbed Cerave which just felt uncomfortable.

Thanks. I think I'll give the Complex 15 and the T zone Serum a shot.