Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
niikkel

Help figuring out what to do with these breakouts?

Hi everyone I just joined today after secretly stalking the message boards for the past few months. :D Nice to meet you all, im Nick.

Well let me explain my situation, im 15 and my acne was never severe or horrible as it is now. About the begging of September i started using Murad. Before using murad, my skin wasn't bad, i would get a pimple on parts of my face every week. My face was never clear but it wasn't bad at all. So in September i decided to get Murad so i could have clear skin now that i just started my freshman year in high school. Well... One month into Murad and my skin was breaking out in spots that i hadn't before, such as my cheek, and jawline. Never did i have a pimple in those areas before, it was usually in my T zone. So i stopped using murad after my face was covered in pimples. I rested it for another month, yet my skin still had those pimples. My face didnt stop breaking out in those spots. So i started using Murad again in the beginning of November. I used it for about 2 or 3 weeks with no results. My face looked horrible. It had pimples everywhere! I went online and researched it more and found a lot of negative reviews on Murad, people said it made them break out more and made their acne worse. So i stopped using it completely towards the end of November. From then up to now, i've been using

-Clearasil Ultra Daily Face wash morning

-Neutrogena oil free acne wash pink grape fruit night

followed by ZapZyt 10% benzoyl peroxide gel

then Vaseline Aloe Fresh Hydrating Body Lotion on my face.

I've been doing this every day ever since i stopped using murad.

also, every other day i exfoliate with St. Ives apricot scrub.

Recently i've been doing egg white masks and aspirin masks 2 times a week each.

But still, my face now looks really bad. My left and right cheeks are COVERED in pimples.

I think i have approximately 8 or 10 pimples all clustered up together on each side of my face.

What should i do!?!?!? :( I want my skin to go back to the way it used to look like before. I miss the days were i would just wash my face and apply a little zapzyt on my pimples and the next day they would be gone.

What am i doing wrong? Should i change the products i use? What can i do to get rid of the effects Murad has left on my skin? Should i go on accutane? i also have been considering Isolaz treatments? Someone please help me! This has affected me sooo much. Before i used to have the highest self esteem. People used to envy my high self esteem. Now i cant even stand looking at my self in the mirror. The pimples i have now hurt physically and emotionally.

Thanks guys! I hope someone has any suggestions, sorry this post was super long.

Yep see this is how your acne condition started (much like mine). You did not have acne nor were prone to having it. Simply you freaked out over some common zits for your age that you could have gone through with spot treating and now you have become a slave to their business. If something doesn't work or has side effects you then buy something else to fix it..very profitable. I don't know dude. You should wait it out and try to let your skin get back to how it once was. I do not recommend putting on anything that is man made. I really hate how doctors take advantage of people nowadays by not warning them how these 'potions' are not a cure, but rather an addiction for your face (ie. when you stop using it your skin forgets how to shed dead skin all by itself). Recommend you read a post from a few years ago by a user named jancarlo before doing any further damage. It pains me when I see pictures of people who had the same kind of 'acne' as I did and people recommending putting BP and all that junk on twice a day when it should be done 1-3 times a week maximum (if you must).

Edited by floatingrhythm

Yep see this is how your acne condition started (much like mine). You did not have acne nor were prone to having it. Simply you freaked out over some common zits for your age that you could have gone through with spot treating and now you have become a slave to their business. If something doesn't work or has side effects you then buy something else to fix it..very profitable. I don't know dude. You should wait it out and try to let your skin get back to how it once was. I do not recommend putting on anything that is man made. I really hate how doctors take advantage of people nowadays by not warning them how these 'potions' are not a cure rather an addiction to your face (ie. when you stop using it your skin forgets how to shed dead skin all by itself). Recommend you read a post from a few years ago by a user named jancarlo before doing any further damage. It pains me when I see pictures of people who had the same kind of 'acne' as I did and people recommending putting BP and all that junk on twice a day when it should be done 2-3 times a week maximum (if you must).

Haha yes! Thats exactly what has happened. I freaked out over those small zits and then in the works of trying to fix them i have become a slave to the business. Oh really? I didnt know that benzoyl peroxide should be applied a couple times a week. i always put it on all my pimples daily. And now with the way my skin is i put it on twice a day after washing my face. Thanks. I'll look into that post you mentioned. Thanks for your help!

Well this is just from what I have seen from friends who have used BP. They never had put it on twice a day and would do it maybe every third day, and now they no longer use it (from what I know). As for me, I went too long (around 9+months) with applying it twice a day, that once I stopped it was way worse than when I started and it took many months to get it back to how it was before going to the stupid dermatologist. The only good thing this whole mess has done is make me really aware of my diet and health in general. I have not been sick in 2+ years nor have drank any alcohol, lol. Just read that post I told you about and see if you are able to check off many things he says in regards to how it all began. Remember that your skin is the largest organ in your body and it will react when you put something harsh on it. Good luck to you!

Edited by floatingrhythm

That post has a lot of truth in it. I definatly agree that all these harsh products only make things worse. My skin was almost perfect before i tried Murad. I probably had those few bumps on my face because of the BP i used daily. I am going to drop all harsh products from my routine. But what do i do now with the pimples on my skin now? What should i use to treat it and make them

Go away? Thank you soo much for referring me to that post, it makes soo much sense now.

He tells you what to do within the first post. Try to find it. I would tell you, but he provides great detail in what to expect and what not, that it is all worth having a read at.

Edited by floatingrhythm

You've been the most helpful, thanks soo soo much!

I now know what I've been doing wrong and i've learned my mistake.

Hopefully it doesnt take long before my skin is clear again like it was before.

Thanks again!

Hi Nikkel,

This is similar to what happened to me also. I noticed that you are using a 10% BP gel. Maybe you should be using a 2.5% BP gel to start with? I bought Quinoderm a couple of years ago to help me with some spots I had on my cheeks. I didn't realise how harsh BP can be so bought the strongest strength there was (10%) stupidly thinking that the stronger the BP, the quicker the results. What happened was I broke out in places I never had before and they never seemed to go away. I googled it and people were saying 'it has to get worse before it gets better' but after a couple of weeks of using it and my skin getting worse, I stopped. Now after joining this website and having glycylic acid peels earlier this year, it's best to start small and get your skin prepared for the chemicals by building it's tolerance.

I'm just finding my way at the moment with all this but I just wanted to share my experience.

Kirstie

Hi there Kirstie thanks soo much for you input! It means a lot!

Well i had been using the same 10% BP before on my face since February this year, and my skin never broke out or anything, the acne i had was alway just a few pimples a month that went away quickly with the BP. What i now am doing is i quit all harsh chemicals on my face. The other day i threw out everything related to "repairing acne" and all the harsh face washes i had. It felt good to get rid of it all and start fresh. Now i dont use anything, i only exfoliate once a week with St. Ives apricot scrub, and i use 5% Apple Cider Vinegar as a spot treatment, and i wash my face with warm water in the morning and at night. I never ever had bad acne before i started using all those harsh products, my skin was clear and when i applied these topicals my skin became irritated and it broke out horribly. I dont think i even needed to use anything on my face at all. Now im left cleaning up what Murad and those harsh chemicals did to my face. I still get painful pimples on my cheeks. I just want them to go away so my skin can heal and go back to normal.

I hope you find what works for you as well! Good luck with your skin!

Yup, Murad's acne line did the same to me buddy :boohoo: The only thing I actually like from their line is the aha/bha exfoliating cleanser, hydrating toner, and the clarifying sulpher mask. That had me clear most of high school, but when I used their acne line -_- oh boy was my skin a mess. That exfoliating acne treatment gel is HARSH. It's supposed to have "soothing botanicals to calm the skin". -_- Anyways, Murad rant over.

Some people are sensitive to all the parabens in skin care products, and this couple be even more of a problem if the products you are using aren't so gentle on your skin. When my skin was at it's worse from trying the Murad Acne line, I just stopped using anything Murad, and was using honey and aspirin masks, which did wonders. I've still got a lot of post hyperpigmentation marks from the wonderful cysts Murad gave me, but now I just get the "normal" acne that's associated with maturing into adulthoodz.

So some natural stuff that you might want to look into

- Pure aloe vera gel from the plant, not that %100 percent gel that has a bunch of other chemicals in it

- organic honey, I've heard manuka honey is great. I like to add in crushed aspirin as well

- pure jojoba oil is very nourishing for your skin

- organic foods, less processed food

Like you said, the focus now is to pretty much undo all the damage that the harsh chemicals did. It sucks that a lot of people who don't have acne end up getting suckered into using stuff that gives them acne. It might work for some people, like my best friend who I ended up giving a lot of my Murad to and it worked great for him, but it seems like those people are far and in between. Best of luck to you man

Thanks for your help Tim!

Oh god words cant explain my hate for Murad.! It destroyed my skin. I've been doing the aspirin masks once a week as well. Have you tried egg white masks? I heard those treatments help to.

Thanks for your tips, and good luck to you to!

This is what happened to me; what can I do to better my face? I'm afraid to put anything on it... I want to try a night mask because I've noticed that rolling around in my sleep/the oils from my hair seem to cause a lot of my acne(my acne seems to clear up if I pull an all nighter/don't wash my face), but facial masks seem really unnatural and I don't want to ruin my skin anymore than Murad has. The only good thing was their green tea moisturizer; everything else smelled and felt like death...

Edited by Burnt Toast

Hey Niikkel,

Yeah, I'm jumping on the "Murad ruined my face bandwagon," as that CRAP caused me to have the second worst breakout of my life. I was actually trying to switch off of benzoyl peroxide, but Murad exploded my face something fierce. Worst acne product ever. If you look in my picture gallery, you'll see my face post Murad, and watch it clear with the stuff I am using now. Anyways...

I do still use benzoyl, but only a 2.5% and only a night. Sometimes only every other day - depending on how my skin is behaving. I also use these products which seem to help: Dan's cleanser, Dan's BP, Skin Biology's Super CP Serum (copper peptides) and Lascal Serum (exfoliator), Smooth E Skincare Cream (moisturizer), 100% Organic Emu Oil, MyChelle's Clear Skin Serum, and a once-weekly at-home peel by MyChelle - Fruit Fiesta Peel.

You can research all of these products online. Emu Oil really helps the healing process - red marks disappear far quicker while using it.