Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pilsner

Seborrhoeic dermatitis in face 99% fixed within days, no side effects!

Hi all,

Long time acne sufferer here (and loving the acne.org regimen), and I've also had dandruff (which has probably been SD) in my scalp since my teens (I'm 28 now). Two years ago the SD popped up as a tiny red spot near the nose, then expanded around the nose (butterfly pattern), then down near the mouth, and also began around the eyebrows. Two months ago it spread to just below my hairline in two huge spots (3x1 inches in size), which didn't look good at all. The skin was red and shed white flakes within days. I constantly had to scratch off the flakes, which made the skin red and dry, and it was itchy. I had tried lots of stuff, including steroid topical creams and drops, which I later learned was a bad thing. I had also tried a million different anti-dandruff shampoos over the years for the scalp, with varying success.

Anyway, I decided to go to another dermatologist just a few weeks ago, and she gave me what seems like a miracle treatment. It goes like this:

For the hair / scalp, I got a shampoo called "Sélégel" by a French company called Ducray. It contains "Micronized selenium disulphide & Ichtyol". I use this two times a week, and every third time I wash with another shampoo I got, which contains "Zinc Pyrithion and Climbazole". It's a local brand, so it doesn't make much sense to give a brand here, but you should be able to go by the active ingredients. Both could be bought over the counter.

Now for the SD on the face skin (nose, upper lip, eyebrows, forehead, skin below the side burns). Every day, once per day after showering, I apply a thin layer of a creme called Nizoral, which contains 2% Ketoconazole. 5 minutes after this has dried up, I apply a very thin layer of a creme called Protopic, made by a German company, which contains 0,03% "Tacrolimus monohydrate". The dermatologist told me to essentially keep using the Ketoconazole creme forever, but the 0,03% creme was only for a short while, to attack it more agressively.

I know it sounds too good to be true, but after just one hairwash with the "Selegel" shampoo, and two days of applying the two creams, it was almost completely gone and my skin was once again an even color and not flaky. I've used it for two weeks now and I'm very happy with it! :) The previously affected areas can be a tiny bit red after taking a shower and applying the cremes, but it's practically nothing and no visible after a few hours. The flaking and itchyness is gone completely.

Another thing I need to mention is that I've been using hair wax pretty much since my teens, which the dermatologist recommended I stopped doing - so I did. This probably also helped. She said I could use hair gel if I wanted to, but I'm staying "clean" to let the skin breathe.

The two cremes had to be prescribed, so talk to your dermatologist. Good luck! :)