Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chrisjacob

Exfoliation vs. Gentleness

Hi,

Through my process of developing a regimen that works for me (which has been going on for about 2 years and has met with both successes and failures as well as plenty of mistakes) I have discovered the major thing that has been a difficulty for me is getting rid of dead skin and dried medication without hurting my skin.

Currently, I try to use the regimen advocated in the main site, but with a few differences. the main one is that I try to scrape off the gunk on my skin in the shower in the morning, which is a long and difficult process that is often more irritating than i would like. I find it necessary to do so however because if I don't then it just stays on there which is obviously unhelpful.

(I definitely have some cystic acne, but its not all that severe, and it comes and goes with fluctuating rapidity)

-I need to know how best to avoid applying medication in such a way that it becomes gunk that I can't get off the skin while still applying an effective amount (I have read plenty of differing opinions on this)

-I also need to know the best way to get stuff off the skin in the gentlest way possible.

I was thinking of adding an exfoliating cleanser that has recommended by veteran users, as well as using less medication, especially moisturizer where i don't need it. Also, I was considering some kind of facial mask to apply in the morning to pull off other stuff.

I also recognize that I may be applying medication too harshly, to the effect that its like a skin irritant which kills skin cells faster than necessary which makes for excess dead skin stuck there.

If anyone can, I'd appreciate any kind of feedback relating to similar problems and possible solutions.

Thanks

A gentle cleanser will remove any medication left on your face from the previous application without scraping. Can you explain more about why you think the medication is remaining on your skin after cleansing?

If you scrape your skin or use an exfoliating cleanser, you will cause irritation, leading to breakouts.

I am in the same boat as you. I tried the jojoba oil method where you rub it all over your face and then wash it in the shower and my face broke out all over my chin. However, others have said it worked for them.

exfoliation that works best for me is the towel method: after cleansing, take a towel and wet it with warm water, then gently rub it in circles around your face. That generally does the trick for me every time, without irritating

When I rinse of the cleanser, I like to rub my fingers in small circular motions around my skin to pull off any residual flakes. This hasn't caused me any breakouts, so it can't be all that irritating. However, I don't have any active acne, so may not want to do it if you have acties.