Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alicecooper

Anyone reduce/eliminate meat and see a change?

Anyone see a correlation to how much meat they consume and the condition of their acne?

This is pretty much the only thing I haven't tried yet. I eat soooooo much meat because I have been bodybuilding. I have grown sick of meat. I hate that it makes me smell really bad.

If you have seen a correlation, where can I get some info on eating a HEALTHY meatless(or just less meat) diet? I would like to eliminate them in this order: red meat/pork, poultry, and I might keep fish actually.

I think a 90% vegetarian diet would be worth a shot.

The acne that I have is like Pitrosporum Folliculitus mixed with vulgaris. Pelted all on my face, neck, chest, and back. uuhggg....

I eliminated meat several years ago and although I did not notice a change in my acne, I did notice that my horrible painful canker sores went away. I used to have 17 canker sores in my mouth at once, but when I eliminated meat the number fell to about 1 every 2 weeks.

I noticed that if I ate red meat, 4 hours later the canker sores would reappear like acid had been poured in my mouth and on my tongue :(:(.

I later learned that the canker sores were a sign of Celiac Disease and the disease was causing me to violently react to all sorts of foods. Later I learned it was ANY protein source that was causing me to have HORRIBLE acne cysts -- even a single bean would cause me to break out. Someone suggested I try HCl (hydrochloric acid) which is available at the health food store because my stomach acid might be low. HCl greatly helped.

So you could certainly try it and see if you notice any changes in your body!

Good luck!

Edited by Dotty1

Eat healthy lean white meat and very little red meat. Fish is also very healthy. That's what you're supposed to be doing anyway, regardless of whether or not you have acne. You should go to a place like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and buy organic free-range meat there.

Don't cut out meat completely. I used to be a vegetarian. Trust me on this.

Edited by chunkylard

Eat healthy lean white meat and very little red meat. Fish is also very healthy. That's what you're supposed to be doing anyway, regardless of whether or not you have acne. You should go to a place like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and buy organic free-range meat there.

ya i dont think i will cut it out completely. i will just reduce it a lot. what negative things happened when you went vegetarian? and did you ever notice a meat/acne correlation?

all i can say is that meat constipates me, so im done with it.

have you noticed any difference in your skin since getting rid of it?

my skin is pretty much under control, but not baby's ass smooth.

constipation is a health problem in itself though.

alice, I noticed a massive change in my skin when I became vegan. With that said, I think it was mainly to do with the elimination of dairy. Like dairy, I have heard that red meat has hormones that can trigger acne.

as for eating healthy vegetarian food, there are many vegetarian and vegan forums online which have discussion boards of really yummy vegetarian dishes. :)

ya i dont think i will cut it out completely. i will just reduce it a lot. what negative things happened when you went vegetarian? and did you ever notice a meat/acne correlation?

I haven't noticed a meat/acne correlation, but I HAVE noticed a no-meat/acne correlation and living on a vegetarian diet broke me out. This is probably because a vegetarian diet is low in many vitamins and minerals that keep acne at bay.

my skin is pretty much under control, but not baby's ass smooth.

constipation is a health problem in itself though.

So, do you think taking meat out of your diet was the PRIME reason your skin got better. or was there mainly other factors?

most people see clearance with a ketogenic or very low carb diet and eat tons of meat. what does your diet look like exactly

the carbs i get are from whole grains. mainly quinua and brown rice, both i cook. the rest of my diet is all types of meats and vegetables. pretty much everything i eat comes from the fridge or freezer and i cook it.

alice, I noticed a massive change in my skin when I became vegan. With that said, I think it was mainly to do with the elimination of dairy. Like dairy, I have heard that red meat has hormones that can trigger acne.

as for eating healthy vegetarian food, there are many vegetarian and vegan forums online which have discussion boards of really yummy vegetarian dishes. :)

ya i never do dairy but still have acne/PF. there are a lot of useful forums but there are a lot of bad forums also. i dont know which are good for this topic.

I haven't noticed a meat/acne correlation, but I HAVE noticed a no-meat/acne correlation and living on a vegetarian diet broke me out. This is probably because a vegetarian diet is low in many vitamins and minerals that keep acne at bay.

well there are a lot of different "vegetarian" diets. one can be composed of potato chips, candy, ice cream, top ramen instant soups, cheetos.... get what i am saying? i can see that causing acne for anyone.

Ground turkey. I eat it everyday. I get 3 lbs at wally world for 5 bucks, lasts me a week. Best way to go.

hmm. that would last me maybe 2 days. lol i eat a lot

doubtful. a vegetarian diet could easily contain too many carbohydrate in grain form and make it high GL

I agree. I am a vegan, but am working to get my the majority of carbs from sweet potatoes.

2 days?! Hey, I eat a lot, and it lasts me just about a week. That is saying I eat 1/2 pound every day, which I do. I eat a 1/2 pound patty everyday. Which I put in a salad. It is my dinner every day. There should be a lot more in your diet then just that. I'm constantly eating, but yeah, I just eat the 1/2 pound patty every day with my big salad, so good.

If meat gives you constipation then there must be something seriously wrong with your insides! :shifty:

Raw high quality properly fed meat (and animal fat) is the best food I know really. Lightly cooked isn't much worse though but it makes my digestion run somewhat less smoothly.

Don't bunch all meat together. Try properly fed rare or raw meats (carpaccio, steak tartare, very rare steaks, sashimi and some other delicacies like that :)) and then I'd be surprised if you get constipated.

If meat gives you constipation then there must be something seriously wrong with your insides! :shifty:

No, there isn't. Meat has no fiber, so it would make sense why she might get constipated if she's not getting a decent amount of fiber during the same meal. People react differently to certain foods, but to say something is wrong with someone because they can't digest fat-laden thick protein is about as stupid as thinking acne is a spiritual issue.

Raw high quality properly fed meat (and animal fat) is the best food I know really. Lightly cooked isn't much worse though but it makes my digestion run somewhat less smoothly.

Don't bunch all meat together. Try properly fed rare or raw meats (carpaccio, steak tartare, very rare steaks, sashimi and some other delicacies like that :)) and then I'd be surprised if you get constipated.

No, there isn't. Meat has no fiber, so it would make sense why she might get constipated if she's not getting a decent amount of fiber during the same meal. People react differently to certain foods, but to say something is wrong with someone because they can't digest fat-laden thick protein is about as stupid as thinking acne is a spiritual issue.

Easy now! I was assuming that she got sufficient fibre in her diet, as im sure she knows that anyway...

And if someone has trouble digesting protein then yeh, theres something wrong! perhaps the pancreas has trouble releasing sufficient enzymes to break it down? The majority of people don't have a problem digesting meat.

Either way its a simple fix, no need to get defensive!