Notifications
Clear all

Oxidative breakdown of skin lipids and acne

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 12/11/2010 11:32 am

Interesting article. If their hypothesis is true, it has potentially troubling implications for the long term use of BPO for acne prevention. Iam thinking that when using BPO for acne tx, it might be a good idea to include antioxidant topicals as well?

See text from article below:

University of Chicago investigator Allan L. Lorincz postulated that oxidative breakdown of squalene and other skin lipids may not merely be a consequence of the acne process. He suggested that lipid peroxides might be directly aacnegenic to the skina. Based on his theory, it was hypothesized that antioxidants would be of value in limiting and preventing the condition via reduction in the formation of peroxides and other oxidation productsaand that localized free radical damage and peroxides might be involved in initiating the damaging inflammatory reactions [20]. Following this, other investigators reported that components of sebum, particularly squalene, show enhanced comedogenicity when oxidized.

In our context, BP warrants discussion because its clinical success has been linked with its pro-oxidant activity [152,153].Indeed, research shows that BP causes major reductions in skin antioxidant levels. Specifically, BP reduces epidermal vitamin E by up to 95% and vitamin C by up to 70% [154].Given that the sebaceous gland represents the major physiologic route of delivery of one of the most protective agents for human skin a vitamin E a its near elimination by BP should be, at the very least, cause for concern.

Link to full text article:

http://www.lipidworld.com/content/9/1/141

MemberMember
(@dc)

Posted : 03/23/2011 12:36 pm

good post willow.

Have you read the Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate Study on acne?

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 03/24/2011 7:39 am

good post willow.

Have you read the Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate Study on acne?

Glad you liked the post. I thought it was an interesting article. I did read the study you mentioned - but it was awhile ago.

I'm currently incorporating a couple of antioxidant products in my regimen to help with preventing loss of vit e and c, due to years of BPO use on my chin/mouth area. Its the only place on my face where I currently have any visible signs of aging (I'm 41 and mostly wrinkle free otherwise). I don't know for sure its the BPO that caused that, but I've been working on cutting down on BPO use and increasing my antioxidant topicals.

MemberMember
(@dc)

Posted : 03/26/2011 12:15 pm

Maybe you could just add some Magnesium Acorbyl Phosphate or Sodium Acorbyl Phosphate to your moisturizer at 5%. Add a little Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate as well.

I have been reading the full article of the abstract you posted and it said, "An emerging candidate is the stable vitamin C precursor, sodium ascorbyl phosphate (SAP), an agent which has been shown to reduce sebum oxidation products by up to 40%. A preliminary open-label study involving 60 acne patients used 5% SAP (applied twice daily) and showed superior efficacy and tolerance after 12 weeks vs. 5% benzoyl peroxide (BP) [108]. It was also reported in a second open-label study that 5% SAP was more effective than 1% clindamycin in the overall and inflammatory lesion counts after 12 weeks [109]."

Maybe you could try and quit BP all together and replace with SAP topical?

Extra sun protection, anti acne too.

There are 2 studies on SAP for acne and they seem to think along the same lines as that study you posted, that squalane is easily oxidized which causes it to become very comdeogenic. SAP and MAP prevent this and subquently acne.

Study 1:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111...010.00480.x/pdf

Study 2:

http://www.prescribedsolutions.com/pdf/Cos...ology_Apr06.pdf

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 03/26/2011 1:28 pm

Maybe you could just add some Magnesium Acorbyl Phosphate or Sodium Acorbyl Phosphate to your moisturizer at 5%. Add a little Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate as well.

I have been reading the full article of the abstract you posted and it said, "An emerging candidate is the stable vitamin C precursor, sodium ascorbyl phosphate (SAP), an agent which has been shown to reduce sebum oxidation products by up to 40%. A preliminary open-label study involving 60 acne patients used 5% SAP (applied twice daily) and showed superior efficacy and tolerance after 12 weeks vs. 5% benzoyl peroxide (BP) [108]. It was also reported in a second open-label study that 5% SAP was more effective than 1% clindamycin in the overall and inflammatory lesion counts after 12 weeks [109]."

Maybe you could try and quit BP all together and replace with SAP topical?

Extra sun protection, anti acne too.

There are 2 studies on SAP for acne and they seem to think along the same lines as that study you posted, that squalane is easily oxidized which causes it to become very comdeogenic. SAP and MAP prevent this and subquently acne.

Study 1:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111...010.00480.x/pdf

Study 2:

http://www.prescribedsolutions.com/pdf/Cos...ology_Apr06.pdf

Very interesting - thanks! I'll read through the links you posted and give you my thoughts on them.

I don't think Vit C works as well when it is mixed into a moisturizer base. According to what i have read, there are issues with stability and ph - especially with l-ascorbic, but also with MAP. Some people do make their own Vit C toners with Vit C crystals, water, witch hazel, etc. I think its most effective when you use a well-stabilized Vit C product and apply it to clean skin, before any other products or moisturizers. And there is already Vit E in the moisturizer I'm using, so I'm good there.

I'm slowly working the BPO out of my regimen. Over the last couple years, I have only used it on my chin/jawline and nowhere else. I gradually changed over from a 5% product to a 2.8% product, and am still staying clear. I also take one night a week off from BPO. Once I am sure my new antioxidant products aren't going to clog me, I'll cut back more on the BPO - maybe skip it every third night and see how that goes.

I am already seeing a difference with the Vit C products I've been using. My skin is brighter, heals quicker, skin tone looks more even. I'm testing out both the DHC C serum and the Silk Naturals C/Peptide serum - both MAP products. Not sure which one i like - the DHC is a little stronger and less hydrating, the Silk Naturals also contains peptides, and is cheaper than the the DHC serum.

I'll also have to do some more research to see what SAP products are on the market.

MemberMember
(@kellysunshine)

Posted : 11/12/2014 2:54 pm

I had been searching for a long time to find Vitamin C SAP - sodium ascorbyl phosphate available and could only find a source out of China. I finally found a US supplier and it's listed on Ebay, $19 for 20 grams so I ordered some and will try experimenting with some of my own DIY lotions.