Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaerid

What's the deal with B-6/B-12 vitamins....?

Have they helped you? Have you broke out because of them? How much were you taking? I want to transition into a multi-vitamin (tired of taking 20+ pills a day) that has everything I need... but I just don't think I know enough about the B's to start using them.

If I remember, the multi has 50mg of B6, and 100mcg of B12, and 150mcg of biotin.

Have they helped you? Have you broke out because of them? How much were you taking? I want to transition into a multi-vitamin (tired of taking 20+ pills a day) that has everything I need... but I just don't think I know enough about the B's to start using them.

If I remember, the multi has 50mg of B6, and 100mcg of B12, and 150mcg of biotin.

The deal with them is that are necessary nutritive components obtained from food, not necessarily any more or less important than all the other nutrients your body needs from food. It's not worth just focusing on them, and is perhaps unwise to take massive doses of isolated vitamins.

A good multivitamin couldn't hurt if you want to take one. Look for food-based or whole-food formulas. I used the Garden of Life Men's Raw One multi for a couple months, and it was fine. Now I don't really use any supplements except for a trace mineral formula and occasional vitamin D.

You should be taking a multivitamin anyway, simply for overall health, but those two particular vitamins in general aren't really known for having to do anything with skin.

You should be taking a multivitamin anyway, simply for overall health, but those two particular vitamins in general aren't really known for having to do anything with skin.

An early early study (written during WWII) claimed that pyridoxine may be helpful for acne by helping to control sebum production: Jolliffe et al. "The Effects of Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) on Persistent Adolescent Acne" Journal of Investigative Dermatology, August, 1942, pp. 143-148.

I caution people not to start megadosing on B6 just because of this one report.

Take them as much as you can. You can build some serious muscle as well. :D

Why do people break out with them?

I -was- taking this multi-vitamin and I was really breaking out:

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/It...ix-Tablets.html

Probably because it had soy in it. I read the ingredient list and some of the stuff is derived from soy which breaks a lot of people out. Find a multivitamin that does not have any soy-derived or soy-based ingredients.

Edited by chunkylard

I -was- taking this multi-vitamin and I was really breaking out:

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/It...ix-Tablets.html

Probably because it had soy in it. I read the ingredient list and some of the stuff is derived from soy which breaks a lot of people out. Find a multivitamin that does not have any soy-derived or soy-based ingredients.

I also broke out from this:

http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-Allergy-Mu...IngredientFacts

Free of the Following: tablet binders, coatings, colorings, added flavorings, sugars, sodium chloride, artificial sweeteners or preservatives, fish, fish oils, iodine, wheat, yeast, barley, rice, lactose, (milk sugar), milk, egg, citrus, citrus or lemon bioflavonoids (incl. hesperidin), nightshade vegetables, salicylates. Hydrolyzed protein amino acid chelates, mineral gluconates and citrates are avoided as these are derived from soy, barley, corn, potato, milk, egg and yeast.

Why?

Edited by Mirrfiak