Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phen

Starting Accutane Course in About a Week

Hi guys,

I'm a male, 21 years old which has tried everything from topical gels to antibiotics (latest for more than a year..). I'm not going to say I have the worse of acne because I know there plenty worse than me, but I do have developed nodular acne over the years. I've had acne for the past 5-6 years, and it has been persistent ever since. At first they were simple whiteheads but over the course it has turned to more severe case. I've been scarring already for a while and that's what's bothering me the most.

I've been avoiding accutane for more than a year when it was first mentioned as an option to me. This time I just decided to listen to the Derms and go ahead with it. I've read a lot and like anybody going on accutane I'm afraid.

Asides from acne, I have a very healthy life. I practice a sport at my university and I can't complain about my social life at all. I even have a very cute girlfriend (clearest skin ever) that have told me she didn't mind my acne. Nonetheless, she is supportive and she knows of the serious risks I'm about to take.

I will appreciate any kind of advice, especially related to the most common side effects like cracking of lips, dryness of face, nosebleeds, etc. One last side note, I'm not happy for having to be on accutane, I'm just trying to deal with it.

Thanks

have you tried following glycemic load diet rule?

No, but I tried to keep a low sugar/carbohydrate diet before, and I never saw a significant improvement. I try eating the least of sugar products and junk food.

Also, I would like to know people's experience with Accutane and practicing a sport. How bad were your joints affected? Did you have to quit the sport while on it?

Thanks

Symptoms from taking accutane vary from non-existent to severe depending on the individual. I never had any problems personally and it was very effective. Remember that you will be constantly monitored and tested throughout your accutane treatment.

You won't really know until you begin taking the meds because everyone's experience is slightly different. Most people have good results with absolutely minimal side effects.

Joe Zit

I went to the Derm today and a lot has changed since my last visit. I have done a lot research on Accutane, and decided to hold it off until/after break. I will be visiting my girlfriend and her parents and I'm better off not taking the risk of a bad initial breakout while there. Anyways, starting the treatment a month earlier is not gonna really not gonna make a big difference.

I also asked some crucial questions to my doctor about Accutane. The first one was relating sports and physical activities. He said that I would be okay if I keep doing whatever my body is costume to do. In other words, my body should be able to handle the same physical stress I have been putting on regularly before Accutane.

Unexpectedly, the derm decided to inject me a bit of anti-inflammatory in two mid-sized nodules that I had for more than a week on my right side of the face. Never done this before so I was kind of scare. I'll report on how that worked later on.

Well, I'll be back in January once the course starts.

I was back to see the Derm today and the process of Accutane has started. I was told to wait a few days before starting because I was previously taking minocycline. I was prescribed a 30 mg dose for the first month and let me tell you about my experience with the price, 10mg of a generic brand went for 215 and 20mg went for 254. That's less than 50 dollars difference for an additional 10mg. My insurance will cover up to 1000 a year so I'm guessing by the third month I'll be paying out of my packet. I really hope everything goes well and that my body responds well to the medication.

One Month F/U

Yeah, it has been a month already. Side effects are minimal (hopefully it will stay that way). The usual dry lips and dry face. Chap stick has been enough for me. They don't even get dry anymore, except at night when I can't put it on because I'm sleeping. I wash my face just with water once/twice a day and it works the best for me. Face doesn't get dry, and I barely have to put any moisturizing.

I didn't break out at the first two weeks at all. At the start of the third week I started breaking out again. It wasn't that bad, at least not the worst. Right now, I got some scattered nodules around my cheek bones which are pretty annoying. I'm not breaking out as much, but these existing nodules are taking forever to go away...

I haven been raised to double the dose (60mg/day). Let's hope it goes well.

You're so lucky you're not terribly dry! I just finished my first month of Accutane as well and I feel like a prune sometimes. Anyway, I hope the side effects stay minimal for you.

You're so lucky you're not terribly dry! I just finished my first month of Accutane as well and I feel like a prune sometimes. Anyway, I hope the side effects stay minimal for you.

I read some of your latest updates and it somewhat tracks what is being happening to me. I have no oil whatsoever in my skin, is dry in a good way so far. Blackheads started surfacing two weeks ago or so. It wasn't something visible though. Blackheads are gone, my nose is so freaking smooth. I hope the big nodules on my lower cheek go away soon so that I can shave. They are starting to become very visible and inflamed.

My lips are great (overall, no nasty dryness yet). I carry chap-stick everywhere I go along with a bottle of water. I drink lots and lots of water. Most of my friends still have worst lips than me. I should feel lucky.

I have been training as hard as I used to before. I even did a day long tournament and my physical is great. I think this is mainly due to being in shape before starting tane and not exaggerating on my training.

Hope it goes well for you and hang in there. We should be finishing about the same time.

Edited by Phen

im starting tomorrow and im really nervous...add me on facebook or yahoo...search [email protected] yh i just wana keep updated with ppl

Hey!

Don't be afraid, just be always on the watch for yourself as Accutane has tons of possible side effects. I was just about to do my 2 month report!

End of Second Month

Side effects are minimal still. Lips are a bit more scaly looking at times but it goes and comes as the day goes by. Nothing to be concern about. I notice that after starting on 60mg/day dryness increased. I had to constantly clean my dry nose. It never bled by itself but every time I cleaned it, it bled a bit (nothing major either).

Breakouts are minimal now, black heads are gone, skin is smoother and dryness comes as a good side effect. I haven't been applying moisturizer at all!! I clean my face twice with just water and try to keep sun exposure to a minimum. I played beach volleyball the other day and I felt the sun burning through after an hour or so of playing (w/ sunblock).

Previous lower jaw cysts are almost gone, they are small (I do have red marks, some scarring probably). The rest of my face is in a pretty good shape. I have a little cyst in my forehead that has been there forever. It looks like a bug bite, you could tell is there if the light strikes me from the side.

Now I'm getting a shitty cold, good thing tho is my nose is not dry anymore because of it! I'm trying to let it go by itself without taking anything that could put more risk on my liver. Any help will be welcomed. Now the bad news...

I ran out of insurance coverage and this pills are insanely high priced. Even worse, the price went up... The pharmacist made a nasty analogous comparison to that of gas prices. It cost me $700 dollars this month instead of $500 for 30x 20mg and 40mg.. I have two more month left of 60mg... Is there any other generic brand that I could get prescribed at CVS or Wall-greens that would cost me less?

That's all I have,

Thanks for reading.

Yeah you will be in happy land by month 4 like i was, not a blemish, just redmarks fading, and just super dry skin basically your only worry.. the lip thing is normal i dont think i had the layer on my lips ever through the process lol.. only other real observation was during 1/2 way through the course my hair started thinning (falling out in shower) and i just monitored it and shampoo'd it VERY carefully, extreme caution, but i have thick hair so.. i wouldnt say it was falling out much just very sensitive to any pulling etc.. that is no longer the case after treatment.

all the best, as far as pricing goes, i was on insurance for the entire prescription course i took, the other course i took on my own time, i got for around $375/90 day supply of 40mg basically. so if you do a 3 more months lets say, it will probably run you $750 total if the prices are the same as i saw two or three years ago, thats the only real comparison i had and those were NOT generic. i didnt find it super pricey but who knows.

try calling different pharmacys. ask for non-generic prices,.. $700 for 30 tablets of 60mg total seems a little overpriced from what i remember (unless prices went up). just best to shop around.

best of luck

im starting tomorrow and im really nervous...add me on facebook or yahoo...search [email protected] yh i just wana keep updated with ppl

Hey!

Don't be afraid, just be always on the watch for yourself as Accutane has tons of possible side effects. I was just about to do my 2 month report!

End of Second Month

Side effects are minimal still. Lips are a bit more scaly looking at times but it goes and comes as the day goes by. Nothing to be concern about. I notice that after starting on 60mg/day dryness increased. I had to constantly clean my dry nose. It never bled by itself but every time I cleaned it, it bled a bit (nothing major either).

Breakouts are minimal now, black heads are gone, skin is smoother and dryness comes as a good side effect. I haven't been applying moisturizer at all!! I clean my face twice with just water and try to keep sun exposure to a minimum. I played beach volleyball the other day and I felt the sun burning through after an hour or so of playing (w/ sunblock).

Previous lower jaw cysts are almost gone, they are small (I do have red marks, some scarring probably). The rest of my face is in a pretty good shape. I have a little cyst in my forehead that has been there forever. It looks like a bug bite, you could tell is there if the light strikes me from the side.

Now I'm getting a shitty cold, good thing tho is my nose is not dry anymore because of it! I'm trying to let it go by itself without taking anything that could put more risk on my liver. Any help will be welcomed. Now the bad news...

I ran out of insurance coverage and this pills are insanely high priced. Even worse, the price went up... The pharmacist made a nasty analogous comparison to that of gas prices. It cost me $700 dollars this month instead of $500 for 30x 20mg and 40mg.. I have two more month left of 60mg... Is there any other generic brand that I could get prescribed at CVS or Wall-greens that would cost me less?

That's all I have,

Thanks for reading.

End Of Third Month Report

I am in the second week of the 4th month now. Third month went great! Side effects are still minimal. These are dry lips, especially in the morning due not drinking so much water and not applying aquaphor. Today they were in a pretty bad shape. White dead skin falling off. Most embarrassing I had a brunch with a group of friends and I was very disgusted by the way my lips looked. I can also feel a little cut in the middle (first time to chap). To take the white skin out, I brushed my lips!!! Didn't hurt and it worked.

The other possible side effect is being sleepy (eyes feel tired). I do not know yet if this is due to lack of sleep or the medicine itself.

Right now there are only two active spots, one of which is extremely tiny. Face feels great and I'm not breaking out at all.

The End (Hopefully Forever)

I have two pills left to take. This last month has been uneventful. I had a total of two pimples one of which just came out on the very top of my forehead; it won't last more than a week.

I had to switch to clavaris for last month and I must say that amnesteem was so much better in terms of dryness. Just days after starting clavaris I could not control the dryness of my lips. Not even the magnificent aquaphor could do a thing. I started using a vast amount of Vaseline at night to keep the dryness at a minimum.

In conclusion accutane has been a miracle. I would recommend it to anyone with chronic cystic/nodular acne. Let's hope that from now on, my acne is gone and if any stays minimal.

Good luck to everyone out there.