Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chunkylard

Sometimes it's just not fair.

I spent the greater part of my life eating healthier than a good 90% of people in this world. I exercise, drink copious amounts of water and avoid cigarettes/alcohol. I take god knows how many supplements and vitamins. I've tried everything there is to try and I can't even begin to guess how much money I spent over the years cleansing, toning, moisturizing, exoliating, lathering, soaping, disinfecting, restoring, increasing, decreasing anything and everything there is to cleanse, tone, moisturize, exfoliate, lather, soap, disinfect, restore, increase and decrease.

Then I look at some fat slob who eats McDonalds for every meal, smokes like a chimney and drinks as much alcohol as I do water and their skin is pretty much flawless. It's just not fair. It makes me question pretty much everything modern science and common sense tells us. Sometimes I just feel like I might as well order McDonald's for every meal, because really, who'll give a fuck? I may even get the beautiful skin I've always sought in the process.

Even in my 20s, I'm still suffering from acne. I guess within the last couple of months or so, my acne has been subsiding which I guess is good, but I'm just worried that it might be one of those periods where you think your skin is getting better, but then it reverts right back to the state it was in. I find that the less I do to my skin, the better it looks. The only product I use now is an oil-controlling cleanser from Neutrogena and the occasional EVOO. That's a drastic step down from the 3-5 product a day regimen I used to do, twice a day.

I spent a large portion of my teenage life avoiding mirrors and bright lights. When I went into the bathroom, I always opened the medicine cabinet so I wouldn't accidentally catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and see the wonderful new zits that popped up overnight. Even when I had a date with someone, I would always make sure it would be after 6 PM when the sun went down and it got dark. I was such a slave to my skin and I realized it too, which was the worst part. I honestly hope the improvement I've been experiencing lately is going to stay. At this point I don't even care about getting completely clear, I just want to be 90% clear and have my skin look good and healthy. Maybe some people just weren't meant to have good skin. :boohoo:

Edited by chunkylard

Good to realize I'm not the only one who acts this way. I have moderate acne and I can't even bare to look closely at my face in the mirror. It seems a bit pathetic, but whenever I wash my face I never turn the lights on. Someone will walk past the bathroom while I'm washing my face and say, "why don't you have the lights on?" they just think I'm ridiculous when I tell them my reasoning! haha.

I find that i go through good and bad stretches. This past summer I was having a good couple of months of being very clear. Now, I guess I'm going through a bad stretch because my skin is a complete mess. I agree with you about the healthy lifestyle too. I drink water endlessly, I eat right, no soda, etc. yet I am still the one suffering from skin problems. Meanwhile, my sister has perfect skin, and she barely does anything to maintain it! it is a really frustrating feeling.

As of right now, I switched to completely organic products. I use a certified organic acne facial soap bar. I use this twice a day and that's it. I've only used it a handful of times so far, but I am hopeful for results. I agree, I don't even care if I'm not 100% clear, I am just looking for some kind of improvement.

I can't even begin to tell you how comforting it is to know that there are other people in this world that feel the same way that I do. I'm 23 yrs old and STILL suffering form acne, it's not even remotely showing signs of clearing up. I feel like the older I get the worse my skin gets. I have tried every known product...so many different kinds of antibiotics, accutane, every known topical treatment. I've gotten blood tests done to check my horomones, I've tried acupuncture. I've even been turned away by one doctor because after unsuccesful treatments, he said that he couldn't help me.

What's worse about this whole thing is that I'm an actress. My entire career, passion, dream...is all about how I look. And it's gotten to the point where I feel that my acne is the only thing standing in my way from being successful at my career. At this point, makeup can barely cover up my skin and with everything being filmed in HD...the shear thought of hiring an actor/actress with acne would make any casting director shutter or laugh. It just would never happen.

And I agree with both of you...I know so many people that smoke like a chimney, do drugs, drink alcohol, overweight, eat whatever they want and THEY HAVE FLAWLESS SKIN. This about makes me go crazy because I try to live a healthy lifestyle, I rarely drink, never smoke, eat relatively healthy and my skin looks AWFUL.

Sometimes I think that because I focus so much on how bad my skin is that I actually bring it on myself.

I also hate it when my friends complain about their breakouts, when in all actuality their "breakouts" are nothing more than one pimple which takes about 24 hrs to clear up.

I've just been feeling so helpless lately. I guess I just needed to vent but it's nice to know that there are other people that feel the same way I do.

I just hate to think that my life know is not about finding a solution to the problem, but figuring out a way to live with the problem.

It's somehow comforting to know that people are in the same exact boat. I just hope sooner or later we all float downstream, instead of upstream. :(

I also hate it when my friends complain about their breakouts, when in all actuality their "breakouts" are nothing more than one pimple which takes about 24 hrs to clear up.

I've just been feeling so helpless lately. I guess I just needed to vent but it's nice to know that there are other people that feel the same way I do.

Edited by chunkylard