Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rollthedice

no oily skin but still have acne?

Hi there, here is the situation I'm facing. My skin is not what I would consider "oily", and to judge this I simply run my fingers along my face to see if any sort of oily residue comes off, which there none (I would think I would be able to feel the oil if there was any). My problem is from cheek bones on down (I dont get any acne ever on my forehead or temples) I may get a 2 or 3 active pustules on my cheeks, the chin area usually has about 3 or 4 smaller pustules, and then Ill usually have about 2 pustules right on my lip line. The ones along my lipline always start as very small (not noticable unless looking for it) white bumps and may take weeks before they form into a pustule. My cheeks and chin area usually start out like this to. I am so sick of this!!! Ive tried many things to try and get rid of this, unfortunately to no avail. Does anyone else face this form of acne, or better yet have had success in eliminating it? Share your secret please!!

Lets me guess, by "loads of stuff" you mean you`ve tried a couple of cleansers? Your acne sounds very mild, id recommend Benzoyl Peroxide, but whilst its this mild i wouldnt follow the regiman. Just put a tiny blob on the active spots to unclog that particular clog.

As for you saying you dont have oily skin. The oil that causes acne is oil which is trapped under the skin - so no you wont be able to feel it. Oil on the skins surface is healthy and is there to moisturize, bacteria cannot live in it whilst it is in an oxygenated environment.

no actually, by loads of stuff i mean lots more then a couple of cleansers. ive tried proactiv in the past, so BP did not work, ive tried cleansers with salacylic acid, grandpas soap, nizoral soap. ive done vitamin regimens (all sorts of combinations of things that are good for acne, involving vitamin a, zinc, b-complex, nicacinimide, vitamin b5, fish oil, vitamin e & d, etc). ive tried home remedies like the aspirin mask and baking soda. ive tried pronexin and acnepril which also didnt help. I know you see I'm a new member but Ive been lurking on this site for years trying a lot of different things so dont think I'm just some random person who has tried just a couple of things and has given up :naughty: . Youre right my acne probably would be considered mild, however its constant and Ive been fighting it for years and am loosing the battle against it. The ones that bother me are the ones around the lips, because I can already see this little white bumps all around my lips which will eventually turn into pustules (quite embarrassing) and this seems to be a very specific problem since they pop up all around the lipline.

Right, ok. Some suggestions (btw im not trying to sound condescending, but i am sorry, ):

- Try changing your diet - eliminate diary for a few months and see if that has an effect and up the amount of exercise you take. - It ios my belief that acne is caused by an excess of an enzyme called telomerase, which extends the telomeres within the skin too much and causes the skin to grow over the pores. I believe it makes biological sense for it to be vastly present within all milk and diary products. On the exercise note our body needs telomerase for growth and repair. Those who take a lot of exercise are constantly having to repair their muscles and the telomerase is therefore used up in a constructive manner.

-Go back to the BP, but dont use proactiv (its expensive and there are a lot of other things in it) just buy a normal tube of BP cream 2.5% should do. To continue with my " acne theory" I believe that BP sheds the overgrown and therefore releases the sebum/sweat ect onto the skin surface were it simply moisturizes the skin as nature intended and cannot act as a home for bacteria.

-Oral antibiotic ( Although i wouldnt recommend these)

-Topical retinoids - I believe that these somewhat prevent the skin from growing over the pores by downregulating the enzyme. However i do not believe that this mechanism works particularly well from outside in. And isotretinoin does it much better from inside out.

I want to add that there is no need to wash more than once a day and that excessive washing will make your skin greasier. The grease and sweat ect are not the route cause of acne. The skin grows over the pores trapping the sebum under there - there is a time delay fromn the pores getting clogged to the pore getting filled up and acne appearing. This is because the bacteria cannot live an oxygenated environment and the pore therefore has to be completely full before acne will appear. This is why the effects of all acne treatments (except antibiotics and antiinflamatories) take a long time to see results, when saying this im particuarly thinking of isotretinoin.

Finally im going to state my story - I am a 16 year old boy living in the Uk, i took GCSE Biology and chemistry but probably dont have significant qualifications or resources to say that i have discovered the reason for acne. However this is what i believe and you may completely disagree with it.

I was a vegatarian for a very very long time and didnt really like vegatables so my diet consisted of a huge amount of dairy. My acne started at 12 and my gp put me on long term antibiotics and differin, which i used to control it for about a year. However it got much much worse around christmas 2009. I had it all over my face, back, neck, chest and arms. Hormones and streess from mock gcses and depression because was covered in spots and red from overuse of differin, caused it to become nastily cystic. I had huge things underneath my eyes. (Back to the theory i believe hormones and stress cause extra sebacious output and therefore fill the pores up quicker - the same goes for sweat). At christmas my GP refered me to hospital for isotretinoin treatment. I started this around march and up until thwen used dans regiman which had a huge amount of success on my face. Accutane cleared me eventually in the last week of treatment, potentially because i was with NHS and therefore on quite low doses compared to what some of you people take ( I had 30mgs for 3 months and 60mgs for 2 months). But i was also still consuming a huge amount of dairy.When i came off it (in August) within 2 months my acne started to come back. It was mild but getting steadily worse. I decided to give up dairy and quit vegatarianism, because i had long since lost my "animals have human rights" views and for two months i continued to get this mild acne, it continued to get worse fotr about three weeks but then it started gradually to get better - i was getting less and less. My acne is still not quite clear but now i ahve 3 whiteheads as opposed to 10 pimples which it was a month ago.

Whatever you decide to do good luck xxx

Sorry for the ty[ping errors.

Edited by Claudio

Dry skin causes acne just as much as oily skin, if not more. I honestly thing you should start using a moisturizer and see if that helps (i didn't read the entire thread so I'm not sure if you said you use a moisturizer already).

Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys, I appreciate it. See sometimes I feel like that area can be moisturized and other times its dry, maybe these bumps form when its dry and then pop up later even if my lips are moisturized. I do try to use chapstick on a regulat basis, however I dont know how good that is with all the extra ingredients. It just makes me wonder why it can effect some people and not effect other people at all (what do they have that we dont?!!). I can certainly try some BP again and see if maybe that will do the trick. Thanks again.

Buy a UV light ray treatment kit, most effective thing EVER in my opinion and ive tried things like BP (which still worked for me). "Lumie Clear" was the one that i used. Expensive but WORTH IT!

How often do you exfoliate, if ever? If you don't exfoliate you need to start. Exfoliating gets rid of the dead skin cells that can clog your pores and cause some forms of acne. Use a gentle scrub once a week to start, and if you feel you need more you can up it to twice or even three times a week, but no more. Second, everyone needs to moisturize. If you have oily skin, use a water based moisturizer and if you have dry skin, something that will help put the oil back into your skin. Third, use a spot treatment ONLY on the active breakouts. If you're already doing all of that and nothing is helping, I would seek the advice of a dermatologist to track down the reason for your acne. Hope that helps!