Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JessyL

Wheat/Gluten and acne?! Who's had success?

Hey guys,

I cut dairy out of my diet a few weeks ago but I'm just wondering who had success by cutting out wheat and gluten?

I'm going to start this from tomorrow (already eaten wheat today :( ) and keep it up into the new year and see if I see any results.

Thanks for any info, stories etc any of you have!

Jess x

If you think you have a gluten sensitivity, it's best to go to a doctor- if you stop eating gluten and then wish to have a diagnosis, you'll have to eat mass amounts of gluten in order to get accurate readings.

If you do have a gluten sensitivity, the symptoms wont disappear in a day or two. It can take a few months to really notice the undoing of a lifetime's worth of damage.

best-muscle-building-programs

Edited by JonyLeaber

most people see an improvement within 3-4 weeks, but you should cut out sugar and milk as well to see quicker results

I haven't eaten wheat/gluten for about eight months now. While it certainly helped, cutting it out by no means cured me. :(

However, I will continue to not eat it because it makes me feel lethargic and gives me a puffy face and eyes (very odd).

I'm on accutane now. I really dont think that certain foods breakme out, I tried no milk, no sugar for over a month and there was no improvement at all.

I didnt want to waste more time trying different things when accutane could possibly work for good.

Thankyou for your pm Believe but Id rather all those things you said than have acne ruin my life anymore than it has done. I sppreciate your views and opinions on it though, everyone is different etc.

i have not met anybody who has been cured by roccaccutane in the long run, it haunts you in the long run as it worsens an acne sufferer's underlying health issues, but most people can't resist and fall victim to the docs and i understand that, so i am not going to elaborate on the topic.

@ jess1228: you have to find your achilles' heel. tomorrow is christmas, so i will give you some insights in summary. learn from somebody who was cured and travelled the journey which is just about to start for JessyL. Many people don't go the full route to curing the underlying causes, especially women, as they can always resort to make-up.

A few principles to understand and accept:

I. Reduce inflammation in your body --> certain markers in your blood tell you about your body's state regarding overall inflammation

II. Improve your body's ability to recover and heal from any stresses and strains --> that means no dry skin, no scars, etc.

III. Optimal input (vitamins, minerals, fats, enzymes, proteins ...) for your body

IV. Ensure that your body is able to absorb the things you are feeding him, as long as your digestive system does not work properly better optimally an acne sufferer won't enjoy long term success

V. Acne is just the symptom, it is the messenger that's telling you something is wrong with you. OK, bad news are not welcome, but please don't kill the messenger!!

Now, your body is very complex, although superficial blood work will probably confirm that nothings wrong with your health it is far from the truth. The question is how far down the rabbit hole do you won't to go?

Where do your start? Look at...

- your tongue

- your stool

- your eyes

- a proper ratio of omega 3 to omega 6

- a proper intake of magnesium --> don't wory about calcium

- a proper intake of potassium --> don't worry about natrium

- a proper intake of zinc

--> the human body needs to maintain a certain ratio of zinc to copper, copper competes with zinc for uptake, i have excess copper in my body as soon as i eat copper-rich foods such as cashews i get acne within less than an hour, it took me a long time to find out, i supplement zinc daily and it improves my sleep drastically

- eliminate bad fats from your diet

- mercury poisoning

i got to go i am sorry, i may start a youtube channel soon where i will cover acne among other things.

I tried a paleo diet as defined by Mark Sisson of The Primal Blueprint (http://www.marksdailyapple.com) and Robb Wolf of The Paleo Solution (http://www.robbwolf.com). I did it predominately to hit a bodyfat percentage goal I set January 1st--10% in 2010, great ring to it.

I wasn't entire sold on the diet/acne theory when I started this way of eating but, my skin has improved drastically since. I'd say I'm 95% clear. It wasn't terrible before either, I'd classify it as slightly below mild. Either way, I'd get some new acne on a regular basis--annoying as all hell.

My face is currently 100% clear and I've been on this diet for a few months. I have gotten random blackheads or papules as defined by this site--I'm not always sure what looks like what--at the base of my neck, shoulder, and chest. Two of which are gone and the one on my neck is going away. But there has been no regular occurrences like when I used to eat pretty much anything.

I also did hit 10% bodyfat. win.

The actual point I wanted to make is that the diet alone isn't the reason for it as much as it is allowing your gut to heal. I honestly believe that the issue of acne is--98% of the time--related to poor gut health that allows all kinds of crap that shouldn't enter the bloodstream to do so. It just so happens wheat--specifically the gluten--is amazingly good at damaging the gut. Pretty much any lectin will do this like from legumes and dairy.

I also think that when this condition doesn't cause acne, it causes something else entirely or acne and something else. No matter how the body wants to deal with excess toxins, it's not good to have them there in the first place.

You'd have to follow a gluten-free/grain-free diet pretty strictly AND work on healing the gut at the same time to really see it work. At least that's what I think. I'd go with Robb Wolf's 30 day diet which is incredible strict and take something like Now Food's Candida Clear or just a lot of probiotics to heal the gut.

People who haven't seen me in a while all take notice of my leanness first and then comment on how great my skin looks. Which is fair, bodyfat in the low teens--for men--does look pretty good and my skin wasn't horrendous to begin with although it was nothing to plaster the town with.

I've been selling this diet to all my friends as a means to improve health in every way and to look like a Greek statue come to life. 0% of people have stuck with it. So, take that as you will. It does work and it does more than just clear your skin.

Not to leave the three random zits that appeared unresolved, I think it's a gut issue so I am continuing to reinforce my gut and trying as hard as I can to avoid accidentally eating gut-harming foods. It's hard to eat out and be sure of what's in the food--the sauce is always a culprit. And sometimes I cheat a little--I certainly did eat some stuff I shouldn't have on Thanksgiving. I am normally at least 90% strict on this diet--random drinks socially is where I fail the most even tho I try to keep my drinks as safe as possible. I basically only eat meats, vegetables, nuts, and fruits. Eggs are considered a meat and not a dairy. I have my coffee black. I have removed dairy about 1.5 - 2 months ago and not when I first started this diet.

I think as my gut becomes 100% healed, I'd be able to indulge in a slice of pizza or a piece of cake here and there to no ill effect. That's just theory for now but, I can't say enough good things about this diet.

PS There's at least one other long thread here about paleo diets and acne and a few on the theory that it's a damaged gut issue.

Believe - Yep, I agree 100%! I do everything you mentioned but just started on zinc last week. I took it on and off before but just purchased a better quality version/type. I also have cut out foods that can interfere with zinc absorption (namely beans, I was eating several servings per day). Learning about omega 3/omega 6 was a HUGE eye-opener for me. I used to eat lots of nuts thinking I was doing a great thing for my body... until I realized how many omega 6s were in them. My skin cleared up quite a bit after cutting them out. I feel like I am almost there.... just a bit more tweaking needed. :)

Funny you mention about women being able to cover up acne with makeup -- another big thing that helped my skin was switching to an all-natural mineral foundation with only three ingredients. "Regular" foundation was breaking me out like crazy but I didn't realize it until I made the switch.

I recommend zinc picolinate 50 mg about half an hour before bedtime, but don't take it until the end of time, if it helps take it for 2-3 months before taking a brake from it

selenium was also essential for me, i get it from brazil nuts, but you got to be careful to not be eating rancid nuts

I recommend zinc picolinate 50 mg about half an hour before bedtime, but don't take it until the end of time, if it helps take it for 2-3 months before taking a brake from it

selenium was also essential for me, i get it from brazil nuts, but you got to be careful to not be eating rancid nuts

Great! Picolinate is the one I just bought. When you say take a break from it, do you mean from that particular type or zinc in general?

Hey JessyL,

Cutting out wheat/gluten is definately part of the equation, but unfortunately for most people it's not enough to cure them completely.

For me, wheat is a big culprit but I can tolerate oats.

No humans posess the enzymes to completely digest wheat anyway, so you'll be much healthier without it anyway!

Good luck

I'm trying to cut it out of my diet but it's hard. Gluten is in a lot of foods

things like bread and pasta which used to be a massive part of my diet.

Cutting out gluten, wheat, milk, sugers etc does help in my case.

@ jess1228:

well, first off, i have taken 50 mg zinc picolinate daily for more than a year straight and i have read about many other people like me who have not experienced side effects. at the moment i take zinc almost daily, probably 4-5 days a week.

i recommend to take breaks, because it allows you to better asses the effect zinc has on your body, maybe you find out that you don't need it anymore, besides everytime you take a 2-3 week break you save some money. for now i can't quit zinc altogether, the quality of my sleep suffers dramatically as soon as i reduce my zinc intake, so i continue using it.