Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ashlynn

A little confused

Hey guys! Every day I realize I have more and more questions. I am reading a lot about people using Dan's regimen but also adding their own products. I am so confused. Why not just use the three products that he provides?! There seems to be a lot of success with it so why add anything? I understand the jojoba oil for dry skin but people are talking about different moisterizers and cleansers. What's the point of the regimen?!

I use similar products as the ones included in the regimen, but that's because I don't live in the U.S. and I don't want to pay for the shipping. I think as a beginner it's most safe to fully stick to the regimen, but if you know your skin well other products might be better for you in some aspects.

The keyword for success is probably benzoyl peroxide, but it's drying so of course you need to moisturize, and of course you need to remove dirt etc. with a cleanser for best result.

Hi there!

katten is right when he says that the emphasis should be on the benzoyl peroxide. The thing is, Dan's regimen is PERFECTLY tailored for HIM. He created the products knowing what ingredients to avoid. These ingredients also happen to be ingredients *most* people find equally irritating, so his products are definitely worth trying for yourself.

HOWEVER, there are many people who still find his cleanser/moisturizer are drying or slightly irritating, or they find that upping the BP doses every week like he instructs is still too much for their skin to handle. Everyone's skin is different, so sometimes it's not just about using less BP or more moisturizer. There could be something in his products that just doesn't work for some people, or a difference in sensitivity levels (ex. consider that Dan was already accustomed to harsh acne medications when he finally constructed the Regimen), which is why they use other cleansers and moisturizers to substitute.

The Regimen, in my opinion, is a fantastic starting point, and the BP is like magic when used correctly (which varies from person to person). The Regimen's overarching point is basically: you don't NEED more than a cleanser, a treatment, and a moisturizer, because anything else (toners, etc) are likely to irritate your skin more than provide clear skin. Nonetheless, whatever makes you -- and keeps you -- clear, keep it routine.

preferences. like how not everyone makes mashed potatoes the same (Some like garlic, some like cream, some like cauliflower, etc) some people prefer different cleansers and moisturizers, since no ones skin is exactly alike.

i've had some trouble with cleansers in the past, but i keep toying with it because the one i originally started the regimen with is like, 30 dollars, for one tube of it, but most cheaper, storebought cleansers break me out, and buying dan's would be too expensive, since the BP itself is already like 50 dollars.

and i originally started out with cetaphil moisturizing cream, but i switched to the Lotion because i just like it better, and Eucerin for the AHA.

Really, its all about preference and what peoples skin likes best, yeah dans regimen is perfect within itself, but not for EVERYONE.

Hey guys! Every day I realize I have more and more questions. I am reading a lot about people using Dan's regimen but also adding their own products. I am so confused. Why not just use the three products that he provides?! There seems to be a lot of success with it so why add anything? I understand the jojoba oil for dry skin but people are talking about different moisterizers and cleansers. What's the point of the regimen?!

The 'regimen' is an innovative series of steps to treat acne, not a product line. Dan provides the products that he has had success with so that people wouldn't have to spend time searching for things that work. However, even Dan himself says that the products will not work for everyone and you may have to mix and match to create your own skincare arsenal. The key to success on the regimen is following the steps, not using necessarily Dan's products.

In my experience, Dan's cleanser is just too drying for me and his moisturizer burns my skin / leaves my face too shiny.

there is a lot of success with it, but success doesn't mean that everyone got completely clear. there was a HUGE improvement in my skin, but i still broke out every once and while once i achieved full results, and i still do. the regimen can be a good standard to start with, but adding other products can also benefit you.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. And honestly I wouldn't mind a break out here and there once I start the regimen as long as it is not as bad or as often as it is now. I mean, my skin is definitely not nearly as bad as it was when I was in my early teens, even my late teens but I still do get breakouts and even though they aren't as bad, they are still bad to me. So anything that helps at least a little is good with me. So I am starting the regimen as soon as it gets delivered and we will see what happens. Maybe I will add new products in once I am used to the regimen and see how my skin reacts. Thank-you!