Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First of all, I should note that I'm a 25 year old female.

I was off of birth control for a long time and my acne got pretty bad. The thing is, however, it's only right by my chin and jawline. Everything above that is clear and perfect. I've noticed it's either cystic or whiteheads - no blackheads.

I got back on birth control this month and it hasn't gone away. Here are some other observations that make me think something else is afoot:

-Prior to getting back on birth control, I was only getting my period once every other month.

-I started growing a few stray hairs on my chin and abdomen. The abdomen hairs are still there now (well, I do remove them...) but the stray hairs on my chin have not grown back (knock on wood) since getting back on birth control. I'm on the Nuvaring.

When I first got off of Nuvaring, my face and back EXPLODED. I was on it for like, 4-5 years and suddenly I stopped because I was moving abroad. I don't feel that my face has ever bounced back from that. Sure, all that was there is gone, but I didn't have bad acne before that happened. It wasn't anything like this.

I've tried everything. I've tried Doxycycline, Retin-A, Differin, topical Clindamycin (which I still use now), Erythromycin, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide (obviously, not at the same time), witch hazel...you name it, I've taken it. I'm fairly certain they won't give me Accutane, since I have Bipolar Disorder that I'm medicated for (apparently, they're very concerned about "depression" with Accutane, as if anyone with severe enough acne to even be prescribed such a drug isn't already depressed about that).

I thought about PCOS and I don't know if that even applies because not all of my symptoms line up. Currently, this is what I do for my face:

Garnier Nutritioniste Nutri-Pure Detoxifying Wet Cleansing Towelettes - Oil Free (to remove my makeup)

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Neutrogena On-The-Spot Cream (mornings only)

Clindamycin topical (evenings only)

Nothing goes away. Nothing improves. I've tried the vast majority of drugstore cleaners and I've even used Clinique. No dice. My face gets really oily, so I use a matte foundation by Cover Girl which I've noticed keeps the oil to more of a minimum than my Clinique stuff did.

I do wash my face twice a day. I don't pile makeup on my face. I don't have hair products that could get on my face and clog my pores and I make a conscientious effort to keep the hands away.

What am I missing here? How is it impossible for me to be rid of this mess?

Hi OP,

I am 28 years old and have jawline acne too. But my case is very mild.

If you think you are suffering from PCOS, you should seriously get it checked out. Please go to see a doctor.

Maybe this website can help you to understand it better:

I once thought I had PCOS too but until now I cannot be 100% sure. No, I haven't visited my doctor but I am going to in Jan, just waiting to see how my acne goes til the end of Dec with the current remedy.

From what you said, I think it is quite possible you have PCOS as you have 2 symptoms: acne and Hirsutism. You also said your period is once every 2 months? Do you suffer painful periods too?

For me, to get rid of Acne is a journey to eliminate all possible causes of acne. Could it be PCOS? Could it be stress? Could it be the makeup? Could it be the food? ect, ect... I suppose we just have to be patient until we find the main cause.

I have following suggestions for you through my past mistakes: -

1, skincare

try NOT to use products that have harsh chemicals. Use as least makeup as humanly possible, those chemicals are not good for you tho they say their products are all mineral natural stuff and won't block your pores. I hardly use any makeup, no foundation no powder no lipstick most of the time and only put very light makeup on special occasions.

Try to use simple and natural stuff for your skincare. Try OCM, oil cleansing method and it works Okay for me. I also use organic ti tree soap and Neem soap (only $2.6 NZ dollars) which work better than any shit from the department stores.

2, Supplement and diet

Skin is like other parts of our body such as liver and stomach, it gets affected by what we eat.

There are many suggestions re diet on this site such as avoid certain food, dairy, trans fat, gluten and try to eat lots of veges. if you want to be 100% safe, get a food intolerance test done.

Also, some people find it helpful if they take Vitamin A, C and E, Zinc and other stuff... Do some research and see what food you should avoid and what supplements you would like to take...

I am having EP oil and fish oil (2 each), Vitamin A 4000iu and Opti-Zinc 15mg daily....my dosage is not heavy compared to many others here not because my acne is mild but because I don't like mega dosing anything....I'd rather to build it slowly in a long term rather than get rid of acne within a month but end up with a damaged liver (yes, the liver has to work hard to process all the pills you put into your body)

3, Exercise

Oh, dear, if you can, please do some. They say it can increase the oxygen in your skin cells.

This is my biggest weakness. I don't like exercise at all. All I have done is to stretch myself in the office sometimes... I am 163cm and 44kgs and have been like that since I was 18. I am pretty lucky on this one tho I get the acne gene : (

4, Mood and Sleep

Yes, I know how unhappy you feel when you discover a new pimple. But constantly thinking about it make it worse....Mood is very important especially for women. Many of us have mood swings and that certainly have a bad effect on our skin. Try some supplements to keep your mood good...such as some herb suppplements...

Sleep is also a big part of it. I take 2 5-HTPs every night before bed and find it very helpful with a deep sleep. It is not how many hours you sleep, it is the quality of your sleep. The better you sleep , the better your body can heal and repair itself during that stage.

---------------------

This is generally 4 areas you need to look into but the first thing is to get PCOS checked out.

I tend to agree with the opinion that adult acne has one main cause with many other co-factors.

It's not like if you eat well and healthy then you won't have acne because your acne may be from stress but eating healthy certainly help to control acne better.

Good luck!

I'd give the birth control a couple more months. I'm just finishing my 3rd month back on the pill and my face is just now getting better (but not clear). I've also found that steaming my face twice a day keeps the new acne to a minimum and helps clear up some of the old sores. The only down side is that it seems to keep the red coloured scars pretty bright.

I'd give the birth control a couple more months. I'm just finishing my 3rd month back on the pill and my face is just now getting better (but not clear). I've also found that steaming my face twice a day keeps the new acne to a minimum and helps clear up some of the old sores. The only down side is that it seems to keep the red coloured scars pretty bright.

Many girls take BC pills to help with their acne but there are quite a few side effects on those pills.

It promotes Spider veins and breast cancer in a long term.

The thing with the BC pill is once you are on it, you have to take it all the time. Like OP, acne creeps out immediately once you stop the pill.

Yeah, I eat really really well and I exercise often. I don't find myself with a lot of stress...at least not as much as I used to.

As for my periods, they last about 6-8 days and I feel like I'm being disemboweled. It's VERY painful.

I've listed what I use for my face. As for my job, I have to look as professional and play up my age a bit (I'm a high school teacher that is occasionally confused for a student...) and acne obviously doesn't help. I genuinely don't wear a lot of makeup at all.

I guess I don't know what to do anymore. I'm not willing to wait for a doctor to tell me to just try everything I've already used all over again.

Yeah, I eat really really well and I exercise often. I don't find myself with a lot of stress...at least not as much as I used to.

As for my periods, they last about 6-8 days and I feel like I'm being disemboweled. It's VERY painful.

I've listed what I use for my face. As for my job, I have to look as professional and play up my age a bit (I'm a high school teacher that is occasionally confused for a student...) and acne obviously doesn't help. I genuinely don't wear a lot of makeup at all.

I guess I don't know what to do anymore. I'm not willing to wait for a doctor to tell me to just try everything I've already used all over again.

Hi, If you have painful periods, it is more likely you have PCOS. Could it be ovarian cysts?

Anyway, if you eat healthy and have little stress, it could just be sth wrong with your reproductive system.

My acne was triggered by stress 5 months ago. I was working really long hours during the time. I bought heaps of expensive products from the department stores and none of them ever worked well. Later I decided to seriously find out what I put on my skin. I started searching EACH ingredient on the product I used and realized 80% of them can harm your skin and many if used in a long time can increase the sensitivity of your skin. I felt I was cheated and threw them all to the bin. That was when (about 2 months ago) I started OCM, and switched to all natural stuff.

Don't feel down about it. I mean the more you are obsessed with your skin, the worse it gets.

Here are some tips that I would like to share with you:

1, eat organic meat. Have you ever seen how those chooks and pigs are kept before they get killed? Hmm....If I was kept like that, I am sure by the time they kill me for meat, I would have got some sort of tumors or stressful hormones in my flesh. For the sake of the animal welfare and your own health, please try to eat organic and free range meat.

2, DIY your own skincare products. I am so enjoying doing this. I just found that Boyfriend's cereal (flax seeds and wheat germ) can be mixed with his honey yogurt and used as an exfoliating mask!!! I pretty much use whatever we eat for my face, such as extra virgin olive oil (got vitamin E so can use as a face massage oil), Green Tea (mixed a tiny bit of Apple Cider as my refreshing toner), virgin coconut oil (my daily suncream). All the money you spend on those expensive products can be saved to buy high quality organic food.

3, supplements. I always have been taking fish oil. Now I also take EP oil, Opti Zinc and Vitamin A 4000iu. It is not simple like "Okay, I go get some zinc and take them from tomorrow." actually there are quite a lot of knowledge involved. For instance, You need to eat stuff high in Vitamin E when you take your EFAs (fish oil and EP oil); then Zinc is not taken with high fiber food and other minerals; vitamin A should be taken with fatty food as it is fat soluble. Besides, eat more food high in Vitamin C and have 15 mins sunshine without suncream for Vitamin D2.

This is just my case so you need to decide what is best for yourself. and whatever you do, don't forget to do your own research. Don't go to mega dose Vitamin B5 or B6 or whatever your have heard from other people. Always find out the adv. and disadv. before you put anything in your body and on your face.

I really wish I can help you more but everyone is individual. In the end you will realize the answer is not from anyone on this site but from yourself.

Don't feel bad about your acne. Look at the people here, you are not alone. All the best!

Hi protoceleb

I've been through alot of what you're going through right now - both symptoms and treatments tried. What's working for me is the regime below. Spironolactone is a mild diuretic that blunts androgens that cause both facial hair and hormonal acne. It's a safe longterm medication and also helps with oiliness. Oracea helps with inflammation and oiliness (expensive but you can get online coupon from company). It doesn't work as an antibiotic but rather as a powerful anti-inflammatory. What's also really helped is washing extremely gently (to the count of five and no more) and rinsing with lukewarm water. The best thing I've found to cover the red marks is the Neutrogena minerals make-up below...it's very light and healing (has zinc in it). I cannot use any liquid sunscreen without breaking out but having some sunscreen in the powder seems to be okay. Also Neutrogena lotion for combination skin is very light and allows my skin to breathe. I also use Retin-a cream (generic 5%) and that has helped tremendously but it takes a really long time...like a year. During the first year I was amazed how many plugs pushed out...old ones from having acne for decades. But now my skin is smooth and if I get anything at all it is gone in a day or two.

Hope this helps ~ adult acne is awful and takes so much patience waiting for treatments to kick in!

Ive read all of your responses and feel like I have so many of the issues you talk about. Im very frustrated because it seems everything I've done in the way of changing my lifestyle has not helped. I'm 43 and have suffered for as long as I can remember and its becoming debilitating.

I have mostly battled comedal acne for the last couple of years and not actual pimples..That has changed recently and Im wondering why. I have been getting what looks like welts on my lower jawline and right underneath where my neck meets my jaw...I feel like its an allergic reaction to something as its always in the same area and each day more come out. They dont have heads in them and start out as flat spots but within a day they become swollen like. Yesterday I woke with one new one, today I woke with 4!! It looks like you could play connect the dots on my face.

I eat healthy and in the last 3 weeks only eat gluten free..I eat no sugar and carbs as well. Ive been on spironoactone since March of this year (100mg) and take fish oil, zinc and in the last week just added evening primrose oil. I have very flakey red skin due to rosacea as well. I have had irregular and heavy periods for the last 8 yrs since the birth of my second daughter and have had a d&c and ablation last year to alleviate some symptoms...neither worked. I have also seen an increase in facial hair lately. My gyno said I have some minor cysts/polyps on my uterus but nothing to be concerned about. With all this going on I started to research hormonal acne and discovered PCOS..I feel I have so many of the symptoms and cam accross a supplement called d-chiro inositol. It works to control insulin and is used by many diabetics but they have also seen great results in alleviating the PCOS symptoms such as acne and facial hair..I started taking it last Wednesday and have only seen my acne worsen. I'm wondering what else there is to try out there and could this d-chiro be working against me since im already on spironolactone and that is an anti androgen drug? As far as my cleasning routine this is what i follow:

In the evening I wash with Boots Sensitive Skin Lotion cleanser and follow with jojoba on a damp face. The jojoba doesnt moisturize like I want it too and was wondering if this could be breaking me out..I spot treat the bumps with Redness and Blemish Control or Clindamycin and thats pretty much it for night time...In the morning I rinse with water and apply an oil free moisturizer by Anna Bellina called O Hydrator..I use concealer to cover red spots and apply a little mineral powder by Physcians Formula. Im at a loss on how to proceed and stop these outbreaks..Im wondering if the d chiro inositol could be causing my skin to purge...any thoughts...

First of all, I should note that I'm a 25 year old female.

I was off of birth control for a long time and my acne got pretty bad. The thing is, however, it's only right by my chin and jawline. Everything above that is clear and perfect. I've noticed it's either cystic or whiteheads - no blackheads.

I got back on birth control this month and it hasn't gone away. Here are some other observations that make me think something else is afoot:

-Prior to getting back on birth control, I was only getting my period once every other month.

-I started growing a few stray hairs on my chin and abdomen. The abdomen hairs are still there now (well, I do remove them...) but the stray hairs on my chin have not grown back (knock on wood) since getting back on birth control. I'm on the Nuvaring.

When I first got off of Nuvaring, my face and back EXPLODED. I was on it for like, 4-5 years and suddenly I stopped because I was moving abroad. I don't feel that my face has ever bounced back from that. Sure, all that was there is gone, but I didn't have bad acne before that happened. It wasn't anything like this.

I've tried everything. I've tried Doxycycline, Retin-A, Differin, topical Clindamycin (which I still use now), Erythromycin, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide (obviously, not at the same time), witch hazel...you name it, I've taken it. I'm fairly certain they won't give me Accutane, since I have Bipolar Disorder that I'm medicated for (apparently, they're very concerned about "depression" with Accutane, as if anyone with severe enough acne to even be prescribed such a drug isn't already depressed about that).

I thought about PCOS and I don't know if that even applies because not all of my symptoms line up. Currently, this is what I do for my face:

Garnier Nutritioniste Nutri-Pure Detoxifying Wet Cleansing Towelettes - Oil Free (to remove my makeup)

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Neutrogena On-The-Spot Cream (mornings only)

Clindamycin topical (evenings only)

Nothing goes away. Nothing improves. I've tried the vast majority of drugstore cleaners and I've even used Clinique. No dice. My face gets really oily, so I use a matte foundation by Cover Girl which I've noticed keeps the oil to more of a minimum than my Clinique stuff did.

I do wash my face twice a day. I don't pile makeup on my face. I don't have hair products that could get on my face and clog my pores and I make a conscientious effort to keep the hands away.

What am I missing here? How is it impossible for me to be rid of this mess?

You sound like you are doing everything you can right to clear your skin. I am in a similar pickle as I came off the contraception injection around August (4months ago) & my skin is continuing to have ups & downs. Its hard to figure out if my skin is better on or off the injection. But I am hoping time will tell as they say it takes 6 months to get out of your system and my periods are not properly returned (random bleeding with no cycle).

Patience is key, but frustrating!

My gyno said I have some minor cysts/polyps on my uterus but nothing to be concerned about. Hydrator.. ....Im at a loss on how to proceed and stop these outbreaks..Im wondering if the d chiro inositol could be causing my skin to purge...any thoughts...

Those cysts can lead to cancer. Yes, it is correct that most of the time doctor just tell you that those cysts can disappear themselves but that is under one condition, that is you have a strong immune system and nothing seriously is going wrong inside your body. But you are suffering irregular periods and facial hair and acne etc... which means you are having some health related problems....by the time you find your cure, cysts could already have become tumors...

Many middle aged women in NZ get their uterus removed just because the cysts start growing...That is sth really piss me off as when it is a small cyst, doc tells you nothing to worry about..until one day it starts to grow, then they say Ops, you might have to get your uterus removed as it may become tumors...

Honestly, I don't fully trust doctors...not that I don;t respect them...I listen to their opinions then decide if I take it or not..

When my acne started 6 months ago under my jawline the doctor told me I should choose birth control pills along with anti-biotic...I said no and never went back again...

I don't trust birth control pills or injections, they screw up your hormones, If you have no skin irritation to rubber, always use condoms, if you do, IUD possibly is a better choice than any hormone influenced drugs...

Because many girls listen to their doctors and have been taking those birth control pills for years now it is hard to get their body to go back to the way it should be...all the hormone productions are messed up...

I used to be worried about the acne under my jawline all the time until I started to realize one thing:

I shouldn't try to fix my acne ONLY, I should try to build a strong immune system and live a healthy life in general...

When everything in your body works, you don;t need all the drugs to clear up your acne, your immune system does it anyway...

To achieve this, the most important step is to know yourself, do some tests, Food intolerance test, hormone test, vitamins&minerals test, body PH test... then design your recovery program YOURSELF...

whatever you are suffering now has a reason, this reason could be wrong food consumption in a long term, lack of a vitamin/mineral for years or the affect of long time birth control pills... don't just hear that mega dose VitaminB5 can cure acne then go mega dose Vb5 or d chiro inositol cures PCOS then go buy a bottle.... those trials possibly make the problem more complicated and harder to cure...plus, if it doesn't work, it makes you feel worse...

Honestly, My acne is very mild...well, it never got very serious but used to be annoying...Last month I got one on day 1 of my period and it disappeared in 2 days... I have been acne free since then...

I don't really mind one or two pimples...it is normal for women to have some hormonal fluctuations but the MOST important point is your body is strong enough to get the fluctuation sorted in a short time...

I really hope you can understand where I come from...you need to know yourself well enough before you run any trials with your body otherwise, it is just waste of time...

Please remember we are all different, one man's food could be another man's poison..