Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ashlynn

Isn't dry/flaky skin better than acne?!

I have been reading a lot about Dan's regimen and I am being convinced more and more to just try it. Everyone says (for the most part) that it dries them out really bad and their face gets flaky. How bad does it really get?! I have read posts where some people have said they quit the regimen because they couldn't take the dry skin even though the regimen helped cleared their acne. Is it that bad that you would give up having clear skin to avoid flakes and dryness? My skin is already dry and I honestly would rather have dry skin than red, bumpy skin. So any thoughts?!

It's difficult. Yes, the regimen clears acne well. I haven't had a 'breakout' in weeks. However, I also have a bit uneven skin tone/texture which might be caused by the regimen.

The flakiness is indeed the worst part for me. You might not think its a big deal, but going out at night knowing that in a few hours your chin/outer-cheeks will be flaking is pretty miserable. It's like a constant vigilance to make sure you aren't covered in flakes.

Part of the problem is we lose the 'pain-memory' of acne, and so the new problems we face on the regimen become the new focus of our skincare. There is also the issue of whether flaking causes acne -- although I haven't really noticed it.

It's worst at night, certainly, and there's nothing like waking up with a taut, dry face absolutely covered in flakes. AHA helps, but doesn't solve the problem (for me, at least).

Then there's the constant experimenting with new moisturizers, new cleansers, etc. in order to try and get the perfect balance of hydration and non-greasyness, all the while making sure that the products aren't reacting with the heavy load of BP.

I could go on and on, suffice to say that, while the regimen is worth it (why else would so many use it?), it has side effects which - in the winter - become tough to handle.

Yeah I can see how it is bothersome. I guess I won't know how bad it will be until I am actually using it. I just ordered the regimen an hour ago so I will start it and see for myself soon enough. Has Dan or anyone else with experience using the products have a post/blog about how long the flakes last?! Like I mean is it suppose to be like that the entire time you use it? I hope it doesn't last forever so goodluck!! I really hope it gets better for you. There is nothing worse than being around people and worrying that your skin is a mess.

I have been reading a lot about Dan's regimen and I am being convinced more and more to just try it. Everyone says (for the most part) that it dries them out really bad and their face gets flaky. How bad does it really get?! I have read posts where some people have said they quit the regimen because they couldn't take the dry skin even though the regimen helped cleared their acne. Is it that bad that you would give up having clear skin to avoid flakes and dryness? My skin is already dry and I honestly would rather have dry skin than red, bumpy skin. So any thoughts?!

Here is the way I look at it. Acne is a shitty, but normal skin condition. Flaky skin is a shitty, and abnormal skin condition. I would rather go out with a raging zit than a few flakes any day.

Here is the way I look at it. Acne is a shitty, but normal skin condition. Flaky skin is a shitty, and abnormal skin condition. I would rather go out with a raging zit than a few flakes any day.

Disagree completely. Acne is a normal condition but also leaves scarring and post-inflam. hyper-pigmentation. Those are long-term and sometimes permanent issues to deal with. Check out the scar forum to see how fun dealing with those are.

Flaking is irritating and - I agree - more abnormal, but it has no long-term effects. Thus, once one is able to ween off the BP (most people who need the regimen are early 20s/late teenagers, they can get on with their lives without worrying about scarring. Don't kid yourself that people think acne looks o.k. even if it is 'normal'.

The flaking really can be bad, yes. I realized that the acne.org moisturizer is NO GOOD for me. So I bought a new moisturizer, so now I can be flake-free and on my way to clear skin.

You just have to find what works to keep flakes away. But at one point, my flakes were more attention-drawing than my acne...so yes, flaking can be worse.

I feel that almost anyone can find a way to be flake-free on the regimen as long as they find the right product combo that works for them. Not everyone can stay flake-free on the generic 3(Dan) regimen. For some people his cleanser is just too drying, for others his moisturizer doesn't work.

All in all, I think I actually hate the flakes more than the acne, especially in bright-light conditions. Especially when they're all over your face (happened to me a couple times when I was using 6 pumps a day)... you get a lot of weird looks.

Disagree completely. Acne is a normal condition but also leaves scarring and post-inflam. hyper-pigmentation. Those are long-term and sometimes permanent issues to deal with. Check out the scar forum to see how fun dealing with those are.

Flaking is irritating and - I agree - more abnormal, but it has no long-term effects. Thus, once one is able to ween off the BP (most people who need the regimen are early 20s/late teenagers, they can get on with their lives without worrying about scarring. Don't kid yourself that people think acne looks o.k. even if it is 'normal'.

I apologize, you are right in some aspects. My acne isn't severe enough (right now anyway) to cause scarring. However, I think it is more embarassing to have flaky skin than to have acne. That is my personal opinion. The only thing is, as soon as you stop the Regimen to eliminate the flaky skin, you end up having more acne. So it is a lose-lose situation unless you find a balance between clearing acne and having healthy skin.

I'm almost into week 2 of the regimen and i can conclude that flaky skin is definitely better than acne (maybe it's cuz that i have mild-moderate cystic acne). It's definitely better than huge and red bumps and i can just lie to others and say that I am sunburnt. LOLS! hmm maybe cuz I haven't seen the serious cases of peeling. My skin is flaky now and there're still new pimples growing out cuz I've stopped taking doxycycline. Hopefully new pimples will stop emerging after 1 or 2 more weeks! plz!

It's difficult. Yes, the regimen clears acne well. I haven't had a 'breakout' in weeks. However, I also have a bit uneven skin tone/texture which might be caused by the regimen.

The flakiness is indeed the worst part for me. You might not think its a big deal, but going out at night knowing that in a few hours your chin/outer-cheeks will be flaking is pretty miserable. It's like a constant vigilance to make sure you aren't covered in flakes.

Part of the problem is we lose the 'pain-memory' of acne, and so the new problems we face on the regimen become the new focus of our skincare. There is also the issue of whether flaking causes acne -- although I haven't really noticed it.

It's worst at night, certainly, and there's nothing like waking up with a taut, dry face absolutely covered in flakes. AHA helps, but doesn't solve the problem (for me, at least).

Then there's the constant experimenting with new moisturizers, new cleansers, etc. in order to try and get the perfect balance of hydration and non-greasyness, all the while making sure that the products aren't reacting with the heavy load of BP.

I could go on and on, suffice to say that, while the regimen is worth it (why else would so many use it?), it has side effects which - in the winter - become tough to handle.

I agree with u 100% :D. It sucks having to check if ur face has gotten dry. ALSO when playing sports and sweating is very frustrating when on the regimen

One thing that I have noticed that has helped for me is using more treatment.

I find that if I remove the cap, and get a steady line along my middle finger I can generally go for the 12 hours before I start seeing flaking. However, if my clothes are rubbing along my neck and cheeks, it will usually start sooner.

What I have started doing is making my own kit, that is the usual 3 step products, as well as a travel kit that I bring along with me. I am a guy so it's not easy finding places where to put these while your at work, but I change my shoes for work, so I put it in a plastic bag in my shoe, and if I see that I am getting dry, I'll go to the washroom, and apply some more.

The way I see it, and everyone has their own opinion based on how flaky they are, that I much prefer mild acne than the flakes(my skin gets really dry with just 2 pumps, might go down to 1 once I am clear). I have been on the regimen for almost 2 months, and it is working like nothing I have ever used before. ProActive was useless, and Exposed only useful for the free exfoliating rag you get.

TLDR, depending on the type of acne, and severity of dry skin, your going to get mixed responses here. In my opinion, mild acne(and I mean maybe 1-2 pimples on my entire face) > flaky skin.

Just going to take a little bit of extra work till you can find the right amount of what gives you quality results that you will like.