Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Michaelangelo

Should I take accutane?

So my background is basically that I have suffered from body acne for about 5 or so years now. I have been off and on a lot of medications and nothing never cleared up the problem. I went to a new derm a few months back and he instantly looked at my problem and recommended accutane. At the time I was so happy, this is always what I wanted, the golden cure. Right? My acne would finally be cured! I got the blood work done and everything was OK. Yes.

I started to tell my friends and researched more on accutane and began second guessing myself. I read plenty of great stories that made me jealous of their success, but their was also the horror stories of people saying if they could go back in a time machine, they would have never taken the medicine for reason A,B, and C.

After all the scare and friends talking me out of it, who had no actual accutane experience, I decided not to go on the medicine. I later learned that my nephew in the family took accutane and got great results with it. His acne wasn't body related but I'm still jealous of his success, but the long term side effects still worry me.

Every time I feel the pain from my acne on my body, I think about what it would be like if I had started taking accutane a couple months back? At this point, after all the pain and suffering, I feel like the most extreme side effects of accutane are worth trying if it would actually fix the problem. It seriously seems like this problem controls my life, in a negative way, and I just want it to go away.... Its so embarrassing! What girl wants a guy covered in body acne? Even if they say its OK, I'm sure they find it gross... It seriously makes me depressed. Is this the answer though?

So... is the accutane worth the risk? Please share your stories and insights.

I'd be wary of dermatologists that are very quick to dole out prescriptions for accutane.

Accutane is hardcore shit and that's why it's mostly reserved for the most severe cases and for people who have struggled with mild/moderate acne for years that show no signs of clearing up.

Have you ever been prescribed Minocycline (usually under the name "Oracea" is what derms prescribe.) ? If not, ask for that before Accutane.

If so, I reluctantly say go for it, but don't bullshit yourself that you won't experience the side effects. Take a multi-vitamin + omega 3 fish oil + calcium supplement with it. If you do any sort of high-intensity exercise, you're gonna have to stop that for a couple months simply because of the stress it puts on your skin and joints. Invest in a good moisturizer (Bio-Oil maybe since it also doubles as a good lip balm.) And stay out of the sun as much as possible.

How much do you weigh? If it's anything under 150 pounds, I say start with 20 mg first. If your derm tries to prescribe 40 mg, lie and say that you often get side-effects with medications and that you'd like to start out with 20 mg first and eventually increase the dose if the side-effects aren't bad. Something like that. Most people start out with 20/40 mg twice a day and the higher the dose, the more likely you are to get side-effects and get them bad.

As I'm sure you already know, the reason Tane is so sought after and used as pretty much the final step on the ladder is because it works in about 90% of people and most people that do go on an accutane course, don't suffer with acne afterwards. It really is a miracle cure, but it comes loaded with so many bad things that you really have to evaluate the pros and cons.

Edited by chunkylard

hI, i THINK AND FEEL, FOR MYSLEF!!!

accutane is the answer, I have tried everything else out there from supermarket scrubs and washes to topical prescription medicines and oral medications, Nothing worked for me.

Give it a go on a low dose and then you wont get to many side affects and hopefully clear up your skin. If the derm reccomended it then it is probably a good option. I have done alot of research myself too before taking it and I think that In my case the possibility of great skin far beats the POSSIBLE side affects, Some people just get dry lips. And thats it. Some people get alot worse reactions.

Go ahead if you really want a CURE, not just some time off from acne.

Hope this helps.

Chunky: I was very weary of the new derm who quickly suggested accutane. Out of all the other derms I went to before, they never recommended accutane. Even when I asked for it. I have tried minocycline and a few other cycline antibiotics. The only time I remember them helping me was when I was taking one during the summer and I got a lot of sun on my body since the acne wasn't bad at the time. As soon as summer was up, it started coming back.

I just keep thinking theres got to be a better way than accutane. But I can't find it :think:

Doo

Accutane is a very serious drug, make no mistake about it. I was in the same position as you. A derm recommended it to me when I was 16, but I decided against it. At 19, I had tried almost everything and being a sophomore in college, I decided to sack up and go for it. I'm 5.25 months into a 6 month treatment. I'm clear and the side effects are manageable. I was off it for a week in between each month due derm appt scheduling issues. The side effects went away in each one of those one week periods.

Make an informed decision. That's my advice to you. The side effects are real and can happen to anyone but they are fairly uncommon. The internet represents a small minority of accutane users and most people have been negatively affected by the drug or think they've been negatively affected by it.

You need to decide if the risk is worth it, and only you can do that.

Something to think about:

There is a car accident every second. Many of these accidents are debilitating and life threatening. However, we still make the decision each day to get in the car and drive somewhere fully accepting the risk that we may get into a car accident.

I'll present some bias here:

I'm a biochemistry major so I know a thing or two when it comes to how chemicals affect things on a cellular level. Isotretinoin is essentially poison. What it does to the body is scary stuff and your body is begging for mercy every day you're on this stuff. However, 6 months is a relatively short time to be on it and everything is SUPPOSE to revert back to normal a month or two after you're off it.

Good luck.

Edited by Fred Q

Have you tried UV light ray treatment yet?

Thats the most effective treatment available from what ive heard and ive had amazing results from it. Id recommend you go on that before craputane.

Like you've said, Michael, no other method gets rid of acne. In fact, in my experience, minocycline combined with gels eventually worsen acne. It's such a big scam because if you stop taking them your acne explodes, and if you keep taking them, it's still almost as bad...

Take accutane. Acne is a disease, do not be fooled. Don't let it be a burden for a second more. Otherwise, you can just wait for it to get worse, and when it's bad enough, you won't mind taking accutane. But why wait?

A lot of people don't take accutane because of the risks, and then they change their minds many years later. They could have had clearer skin and a better life much earlier, and also reduced scarring.

Chances are you will not have any major side effects. Think about that. Most likely no major side effects, and you will have 100 percent clear skin. I'm going to start next week.

Fred - I see what you mean about the internet representing a small portion of accutane users. I mean whos going to have great success and want to write about it all over the internet. A few, but the ones who suffer will make a big impact of opinion.

The car accident thing is a good example but we accept the fact of driving as a necessity and a pleasure. People take accutane as a last choice, unlike driving. We can't wait to drive. We don't grow up DYING to take accutane like we do waiting to drive. Haha. The % of people who decide to take accutane compared to the % of people who drive is totally different. But yes, I do understand what your saying.

Since you seem to understand a lot about the medicine, being a biochemist and all, let me ask you this. I just graduated from college and drank a lot, understandable? If I did decide to go on the medicine, would you recommend a detox first before going on the medicine? I know you can't drink while on the medicine, which is fine, but should I prepare my body for what is about to come while on the medicine? Like you said, your body is begging for mercy everyday while on the medicine.....

Randomstuff - where do you get UV light treatment at? how much does it cost? did you have body acne that is has cleared up?

Sid- I had the same experience with taking antibiotics. Once you stop taking them, all hell breaks lose. Then you want to go back on them but we can be on antibiotics our whole lives, regardless of what derms tell us. haha.

I'm still thinking about going on the medicine. If you're actually going to start taking it, let me know how it goes. If you start a blog/board on here let me know or else keep me updated with messages. Wish you well.

Fred - I see what you mean about the internet representing a small portion of accutane users. I mean whos going to have great success and want to write about it all over the internet. A few, but the ones who suffer will make a big impact of opinion.

The car accident thing is a good example but we accept the fact of driving as a necessity and a pleasure. People take accutane as a last choice, unlike driving. We can't wait to drive. We don't grow up DYING to take accutane like we do waiting to drive. Haha. The % of people who decide to take accutane compared to the % of people who drive is totally different. But yes, I do understand what your saying.

Since you seem to understand a lot about the medicine, being a biochemist and all, let me ask you this. I just graduated from college and drank a lot, understandable? If I did decide to go on the medicine, would you recommend a detox first before going on the medicine? I know you can't drink while on the medicine, which is fine, but should I prepare my body for what is about to come while on the medicine? Like you said, your body is begging for mercy everyday while on the medicine.....

Randomstuff - where do you get UV light treatment at? how much does it cost? did you have body acne that is has cleared up?

Sid- I had the same experience with taking antibiotics. Once you stop taking them, all hell breaks lose. Then you want to go back on them but we can be on antibiotics our whole lives, regardless of what derms tell us. haha.

I'm still thinking about going on the medicine. If you're actually going to start taking it, let me know how it goes. If you start a blog/board on here let me know or else keep me updated with messages. Wish you well.

If you haven't had success with mino/the cycline family, I would suggest you do one last thing and try the oil-cleansing method. Most people have great success with that. If that doesn't work, then I would suggest that, yes, you do go through with the Accutane, because until modern medicine and dermatology invents something that can mimic the results of Accutane without the side-effects, it's the only thing that will potentially fix this issue. As much of a bad rep as Accutane gets, the results are undeniable.

As for a detox, as much faith as I put into alternative medicine, there's little a detox will do that can't also be accomplished by always eating a healthy and normal balanced diet (very little red meat, decent portions of white meat, and many vegetables. Avoid all legumes like soy, peanuts and beans.) If you really wanna do a "detox," just fast for a week. Muslims do it for a month and I can tell you from experience, once you get past the 2 day mark, it get very easy from there on.

Some dermatologists offer UV light treatments, but I've seen it mostly being offered at spas. I wouldn't really trust a dermatological issue too much with a spa though, but that's just me. Also UV light may be good for acne, but it's still damaging to the skin (premature aging/sunspots) and even low doses of UV light aren't good because we all know what too much UV light causes (the "C" word.) UV light/sunlight kills the acne bacteria, but it supposedly also increases sebum production so it's sort of a toss up. Also UV light shouldn't be used long-term. As for body acne, most UV lamps built for the purpose of treating acne are designed especially to shine light on the face, not the body so it might be hard to do that unless you purchase a lamp yourself (they're expensive) and shine it on your body acne.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046...B5CE56CB.d03t01

I don't think a detox before would matter. I wouldn't and don't drink while on the medicine....its been one heck of a semester....not.

If I were you I would...

Be taking vit D as you said your skin was clear in the summer.

Use uv lights like others have said but I am no expert on those.

I would change my diet as a naturopath has told me diet DOES matter. I only went once and I only

remember him mentioning fats as a culprit. I would avoid dairy and grains.

I took so many antibiotics and it is such a mistake, so add honey to your diet, and Manuka honey and I have always wanted too but just have procrastinated but order some Kefir and make it for probiotic bacteria. Store bought is useless and they add so much sugar to that plus the cultures do not survive.

"Scientific research has shown that colonizing the colon with healthy bacteria also alters the colonization of the micro-environments of the genital areas, the mouth and the skin"

Honey contains oligosaccharides which are prebiotic bacteria that feed probiotic good bacteria

Cabbage Rejuvelac - Recipe "A 1999 study published in the Lancet found that consumption of lacto-fermented vegetables was positvely associated with low rates of asthma, skin problems and autoimmune disorders in Swedish children"

Lassi drink "Drink a tall glass of digestive lassi each day at lunch. Digestive lassi is made by blending fresh plain yogurt (with active cultures) with pure water and digestion-enhancing herbs and spices. Ayurvedic healers highly recommend lassi as a way of replenishing healthy intestinal flora without clogging the channels of the body. Try fresh ginger root, rock salt, dry-roasted and ground cumin, fresh cilantro and organic rosehips in a blend of 40% yogurt and 60% pure water. Lassi and/or yogurt should not be consumed after sundown."

I haven't tried the lassi yet but I will.

Kefir links

Kefir info from Mercola

Kefir info and where to get some

Worldwide link to find Kefir

Also look into topical anti-inflammatories like Trolamine Salicylate Aspercreme

I use the generic form at Target for folliculitis and it's awesome.

Dr Oz recommended this Oil for acne> I use Almond oil on my face and I have read safflower oil mimics that of our skins oil so I would experiment with those maybe mix them with the anti-inflammatory cream and besides it's winter so it's a perfect time to experiment.

I put in some effort for you and as I type this I see a accutane lawyer commercial so just try everything people suggest and Yes accutane really hurt my health with side effects. I have never felt the same since mentally, physically.

You can always try it after everything but once it hits your body there is no going back.