Notifications
Clear all

Turmeric paste???

MemberMember
(@pizzafacedchick)

Posted : 12/09/2010 11:33 pm

I bought ground turmeric from the grocery store and boiled it with water to form a paste. Then i applied it to the entire face and left it on overnight.. when i woke up my red marks were diminished and my skin tone looked more even!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/turmeric-...ng-t221077.html

read this!

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 12/10/2010 12:04 am

Turmeric is definitely a strong anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. But it partly may be that the yellowish tint left behind (trust me, its almost impossible to completely wash away) is cancelling out the redness.

I'd use it topically more often if it weren't so damn messy :(

MemberMember
(@pizzafacedchick)

Posted : 12/10/2010 1:37 pm

It also has a soothing effect on my skin.. think i'm going to keep using it! Even though it makes me look like an oompa loompah haha!

I can't wait to try the Vicco turmeric face cream.. my boyfriend from india just mailed it to me

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/10/2010 4:10 pm

isnt it in case the same as curcuma? :/

anywayz, what do u do about yellow face afterwards? when does it go away and srsly redmarks gone after 1 night? naah sounds too good, couldnt be

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 12/19/2010 4:49 pm

isnt it in case the same as curcuma? :/

anywayz, what do u do about yellow face afterwards? when does it go away and srsly redmarks gone after 1 night? naah sounds too good, couldnt be

If you wash your face, the yellow goes away.

Also, never did she say that your red marks would be gone overnight, just reduced. Big difference.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 12/19/2010 8:53 pm

is anyone drinking it? I'm curious if you mix it with some water what the taste is like and how much would you drink?

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 12/19/2010 10:50 pm

It tastes pretty terrible. It's a little better in warm milk. If you cook though, it tastes great in virtually any dish... I'm indian, so I get off easy there. As for amount.. a teaspoon is pretty standard. If you want to take it orally, your best bet is to buy the powder cheaply at any Asian grocery store (much, much cheaper than the supermarket), and then buy some empty capsules from any health-food place... just scoop it up into the caps and swallow it. Of course, if you could care less about the cost... you can just buy turmeric capsules from most health food / vitamin shops.

Also, make sure that when you put it into dishes... or swallow the capsule... that you include some fat and hopefully some black pepper as well. Both increase absorption of the putative active principle, curcumin.

One thing that works for American cuisine is putting it into scrambled eggs... it makes them look incredibly yummy. It's also in most average varieties of mustard, though not in any large amounts.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 12/20/2010 12:31 pm

thanks greentiger87...i have an asian market right in my town so im lucky..i really want to try making a paste out of it...what are your suggestions for this? mix with water and apply with a qtip to red spots and pimples?

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 12/20/2010 1:14 pm

I haven't really research it thoroughly, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. What I've done in the past that has been extremely effective, is to mix turmeric half and half with powdered oatmeal, add water and jojoba oil sufficient to make a thin paste, and spread a thick layer all over my face. Then washed it off 30 minutes later, or when it had completely dried.

The problem with this is it's really hard to keep up - it's both messy, inconvenient, and time consuming. Try your method and see what happens... there's nothing to lose.

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 12/20/2010 6:15 pm

Okay,silly question...

Can you use curcumin the same as you would turmeric? All I know is curcumin is a component to turmeric.

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 12/20/2010 7:00 pm

Okay,silly question...

Can you use curcumin the same as you would turmeric? All I know is curcumin is a component to turmeric.

I mean.. I think you can... but why would you want to? That's like using artificial vanilla flavor (vanillin) instead of the actual vanilla? I think pure curcumin is pretty bitter, without any other flavors from the rest of the turmeric to balance it out.

Also... scientists say that curcumin is the active ingredient of turmeric, but it often turns out to be more complex than that. It's very possible that the different phytochemicals work in synergy or balance each other out in some way... it's just too complex to understand neatly. What is known is that turmeric is pretty darn good for you.

Also curcumin is more expensive.

Again why?

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 12/20/2010 7:05 pm

Okay,silly question...

I mean.. I think you can... but why would you want to? That's like using artificial vanilla flavor (vanillin) instead of the actual vanilla? I think pure curcumin is pretty bitter, without any other flavors from the rest of the turmeric to balance it out.

Also... scientists say that curcumin is the active ingredient of turmeric, but it often turns out to be more complex than that. It's very possible that the different phytochemicals work in synergy or balance each other out in some way... it's just too complex to understand neatly. What is known is that turmeric is pretty darn good for you.

Also curcumin is more expensive.

Again why?

Because I have a bottle of curcumin in capsule form and I was hoping I could break some open into my clay mask. I didn't plan on eating the stuff.Icky.

I also like my artificial vanilla extract tyvm =(

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 12/20/2010 7:07 pm

Lolol, sorry I lack common sense sometimes. I think you can totally do that with curcumin, but I still think actual turmeric is better.

And honey... artificial vanilla.. really? Sigh. Maybe I'm just a food snob, I apologize.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 12/21/2010 2:34 pm

greentiger, sorry to ask so many tumeric questions but you seem to be quite knowledgable in the subject. I went to my local vitamin store and purchased 500 mg tumeric curcumin capsules but after your response regarding the use of curcumin im a little hesitant to try them. I have several small raised pimples and some flat red spots i would like to decrease and lighten but im not sure if i purchased the right thing to do this. I was hoping i could open up the capsule and mix with water to make a paste. I gogled tumeric curcumin & acne and some have had some serious staining issues. It makes me think all the scrubbing to remove the yellow stain will make the skin irritated and red..do you think purchasing just the powder is a better option for me? thanks

MemberMember
(@umaid619)

Posted : 06/29/2013 10:39 am

Tumeric paste worked well for me for the first few days, but its been 3 months now, and my marks are still pink/red, does tumeric exfoliate the top layer of skin? and should i stop using it for awhile and see if my skin heals? because i feel as it keeps exfliotiing the top layer everytime i do it, and not giving the skin enough time to heal. been doing this every single day, for about 30mins the paste at night, then moisturing afterwards.

any help would be appreciated,