Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jumii

Simple question for retinoid users

What does your retinoid feel like on your face? I use the Tazorac 0.01% gel on my oily skin and it feels like it just sits on top of my skin even after I've rubbed it in. Is it supposed to "sink" into your skin like other products do?

I've tried to apply it about 3 hours before sleeping because I've noticed my pillow has absorbed it when I lay on my side. Unfortunately, it feels the same on my face after at least 3 hours as when I first put it on.

Anybody have the same feelings I do? Please say what you use and how it feels.

Should I switch retinoids?

Any help/advice/info is greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Jumii

What does your retinoid feel like on your face? I use the Tazorac 0.01% on my oily skin and it feels like it just sits on top of my skin even after I've rubbed it in. Is it supposed to "sink" into your skin like other products do?

I've tried to apply it about 3 hours before sleep because I've noticed my pillow has absorbed it when I lay on my side. Unfortunately, it feels the same on my face after at least 3 hours as when I first put it on.

The Tazorac cream does tend to leave an oily residue, from my experience. But that doesn't mean the retinoid isn't penetrating, just that some of the vehicle is left on the surface. With retinoids, less is more - so I wouldn't worry about it.

What does your retinoid feel like on your face? I use the Tazorac 0.01% on my oily skin and it feels like it just sits on top of my skin even after I've rubbed it in. Is it supposed to "sink" into your skin like other products do?

I've tried to apply it about 3 hours before sleep because I've noticed my pillow has absorbed it when I lay on my side. Unfortunately, it feels the same on my face after at least 3 hours as when I first put it on.

The Tazorac cream does tend to leave an oily residue, from my experience. But that doesn't mean the retinoid isn't penetrating, just that some of the vehicle is left on the surface. With retinoids, less is more - so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm using Tazorac 0.05% cream. It is a little oily but it dries in about 30 minutes on my skin even when I mix it with moisturizer. I haven't noticed any on my pillow even when I lay down 15min after applying. You might talk to your dermatologist about switching to the gel if it is really bad. I hear that the gel causes more peeling for some though.

I've tried multiple retinoids, gels and creams (not Taz though), but none of them feel like they're sitting on top of my skin. I always wait about 15 minutes after washing my face before applying a small pea-sized amount all over --- it's usually just enough to cover all the skin on my face without having to rub it in too much. It usually feels fully absorbed within an hour or so, especially since it's such a thin layer.