Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tc1425

Stopping accutane due to blood work

My derm wanted me to stop taking accutane because my liver values came back high on my blood work. He told me to take a break for a few weeks and get another blood test and I could possibly start taking it again if everything comes back o.k. I was just wondering if anyone else had to go through this. I was 2 months in and just starting to see some resutls. If I would be able to start taking it again would I have to start all over again? I'm pretty upset/worried now, I want to stay on accutane but I don't want to damage my vital organs either. If anyone could give some advice or info on this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

One of the (few) nice things about Accutane is when it comes to the permanent changes to your skin, it's the cumulative dose that matters. My guess would be that he won't start you on a new full course, but just pick up where you left off.

Cumulative dose is the key. Taking a break for your health should not hurt your chances of success, from what I understand. I had to take breaks for my digestive tract.

I'm no doctor, but to help your liver, be sure to avoid alcohol, eat healthy, exercise, and avoid vitamin/mineral supplements in excess of 100% recommended daily value unless prescribed by your doctor. :)

Edited by jlmason2003

Hi, sorry to hear this. It must suck! My test came back high before I even started the tane, So ask your derm for you to see your Dr and get a liver ultra sound, And if there is nothing wrong with your liver, Then you should be able to go back on it. And maybe lower the dose. Good luck. :surprised: