Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can't stand this anymore. I am 23 and I have had acne since I was 10. I remember the orthodontist taking pictures of my teeth when I was 10 before I got braces on and you could see all the acne on my face. The only thing that has really helped was the two rounds of accutane while I was one it. But not to long after I finished the acne came back. I have tried so many products and spent way to much money.

I have finally found a dermatologist who really cares about helping me clear this acne up and who actually cares about helping with these keloids I have. I am not talking about the keloids I will just get more depressed. She has me on Spironolactone and this Medco RA 3% lotion. I am also on Jolessa (Seasonale) which I have been on for over a year. My acne is not as bad as it was before I started accutane but I still think its bad. Everyone always tells me oh your face doesn't look that bad at all and all I can think about it the fact that they aren't actually saying it looks good either. The derm said spironolactone would take three months to work. I have been on it for 2.5 months and my face is still oily.

I have had my hormone levels tested but I don't understand why they did it after they said since I am on BC my levels might be normal. Well my levels were normal.

I really hate this because one of my sisters was on accutane at the same time I was and now she is on Yaz and hasn't had a problem. My little sister has a little acne but not much at all. But she also puts layers of foundation on her face. I don't even wear makeup. My face get so oily that the makeup just melts away as I like to put it.

People say I am so quiet. Sometimes I think part of it is because of the acne. I am so self-concious about my skin.

If anyone has any suggestions on what else I could do I would love to here it.

I can't stand this anymore. I am 23 and I have had acne since I was 10. I remember the orthodontist taking pictures of my teeth when I was 10 before I got braces on and you could see all the acne on my face. The only thing that has really helped was the two rounds of accutane while I was one it. But not to long after I finished the acne came back. I have tried so many products and spent way to much money.

I have finally found a dermatologist who really cares about helping me clear this acne up and who actually cares about helping with these keloids I have. I am not talking about the keloids I will just get more depressed. She has me on Spironolactone and this Medco RA 3% lotion. I am also on Jolessa (Seasonale) which I have been on for over a year. My acne is not as bad as it was before I started accutane but I still think its bad. Everyone always tells me oh your face doesn't look that bad at all and all I can think about it the fact that they aren't actually saying it looks good either. The derm said spironolactone would take three months to work. I have been on it for 2.5 months and my face is still oily.

I have had my hormone levels tested but I don't understand why they did it after they said since I am on BC my levels might be normal. Well my levels were normal.

I really hate this because one of my sisters was on accutane at the same time I was and now she is on Yaz and hasn't had a problem. My little sister has a little acne but not much at all. But she also puts layers of foundation on her face. I don't even wear makeup. My face get so oily that the makeup just melts away as I like to put it.

People say I am so quiet. Sometimes I think part of it is because of the acne. I am so self-concious about my skin.

If anyone has any suggestions on what else I could do I would love to here it.

I really think that you should try Dan's products! They"re really working for me and i have really serious acne, not just a few spots.

Which birth control pill are you on and how long have been on it? Accutane never helped me either, the acne came straight back as soon as i finished the course. The only thing that makes my skin super clear is Diannett pill but that takes 3-4 months to work and i get depressed with it so although my acne is very mild at the moment due to me breastfeeding, i know it will be back with a vengence as soon as i wean. I'm trying natural Progesterone cream at the moment. I hope you feel better soon <3

I feel your pain. I have been on 50 mg spiro for little less than a month. not much improvement yet. hang in there. Maybe you can increase your dose?

Hey Enlightened, I am on Jolessa which is the generic for Seasonale. I have been on it for over 2 years now.

I just went to the dermatologist today and she bumped the Spironolactone up to 50 mg twice a day and gave me a prescription for Xolagel. I looked at the generic name, Kortaconazole. I learned about that in Pharmacology. It is an antifungal. I am trying to figure why she gave me an Antifungal for ance.

Hopefully it helps.

Happy Holidays!!!

Hey lovely,

You sound just like me, crap isn't it haha. I'm currently on my third course of Roaccutane, i've been on Spironalactone for about a year too, got upto 150mg a day on it until it started to affect my menstrual cycle and strangely my hips started to absolutely kill whilst walking!

Everytime I have come off the 60 mg Roaccutane my acne has gradually returned in all of its usually places (jawline and cheeks) within 4 blummin weeks, initally as loads of really tiny dotty spots (due to the roac shrinking my pores apparently) and then slowly developing the odd pustule again. I remained on the Spiro alone the last time I came off Roaccutane to try that route, however this wasn't enough to keep them at bay at all.

The last time i visited the doc he removed the Spiro, and started a chronic management dose of 10mg Roaccutane. This has had no affect, if anything i believe my spots got that little bit worse off the Spiro, but maybe that's just coincidence.

SO....My derm today has kept me on 10mg of Roac, with Spiro 100mg to see what happens in the next 4 weeks. I'm also having all my testosterone, SHBG's, DHEAS etc etc tested next time, but like you said...what are the odds it will show anything if your on hormone therapy tabs!!!?

It's like a never ending battle though isn't it!!! :wall: I'd do anything to comfortably get rid of these spots once and for all, but then in the back of my mind i'm thinking about the long term future affects both Spiro and Roac will have on my body, nevermind pregnancy later in life etc :wacko:

With regards to makeup, I won't leave the house without slapping some on because I'm paranoid everyone is looking at my pustules haha, but you know what works...Clinique anti-blemish range, it's a bit pricey, but the foundation works a dream and it dries up your face if anything, they're really good at recommending stuff, even the anti-blemish wash stuff/moisturiser is fab, honestly it's well worth the money anyday ;)

It is all about finding what is best for you, and what's the highest dosage you can tolerate.

You can potentially go up a lot more on the Spiro if needs be and you are able to handle it, so there is still hope with the docs! Maybe it might be an idea to try the chronic care route like me, just small dose roacuttane if it keeps it at bay, i'm hoping just 10mg & 100 spiro will eventually do the trick for me :)

I'm just sick of popping pills each day, and feeling like a lost cause haha grrr :doubt: we'll get to our happy medium eventually :) !!!! Keep your chin up anyways chicken :dance: ....x