Notifications
Clear all

WHY does my skin only become completely CLEAR during my PERIOD. ?

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 12/08/2010 10:53 pm

Okay. I don't know why it took me so long to finally join this website. I feel like I'm practically here every week trying to figure my freaking skin out. So here's the low down:

I'm 20, I've had acne since I was about 13, definitely the very worst when I was about 16 (horrible cystic acne all over my face) Calmed down with time a little and after I got on birth control (Yaz) in twelfth grade so about 3 years ago. However of course it has never gone away. I never ever have not one zit on my face, it's usually a minimum of 10. And they're usually all cystic sometimes a few are just normal zits. Anyway but I have noticed over the years that there is a time when I actually have no active zits on my face, and that's during my period usually the time between a week before my period and until the last day of it. The only thing is i'll just have scars from zits, which I get so excited about and say ahhh finally it's calmed down now I just need the scars to go away and my skin will be normal but NOPE the day after my period stops I get like 5 zits again and it just keeps going.

So recently I just said enough with this crap and I finally went to the dermatologist. He put me on Doxycycline which honestly has really done nothing but it makes me feel like I should just take it. I took it for a month and I'm starting my second month now, it might help but the problem is I STILL HAVE ACNE. And most people I've read about or talked to that have been on Doxy said it cleared them up immediately. So yeah no. He also put me on Differin lotion, and I hear that takes a while to start working because it like teaches your skin to sluff off the dead skin cells, so I've been on it for a month. And right now it just seems to be making my skin pretty red. Yeah definitely red. But I'm not going to stop either so we'll see but basically its just not what I need I need something about my hormones I think, well yeah since the whole clear skin during period thing.

So I go back to the Derm in a month and we were talking about putting me on Spiroldactone. At that time I thought it was a good idea because I do get very oily (face and hair) and sweaty during my periods. (And I never sweat EVER only during my period, weird) Anyway so yeah I thought it might work but now thinking things through and paying closer attention lately I've noticed my acne completely stops during my period. So what the hell. Does anyone know why this is and how I can find out what is causing it to stop so I can use it to make it stop the WHOLE month not just like 2 weeks of it. I much rather be like normal people and have normal skin all the time and break out only during my period instead of the other way around.

So I've been thinking then, BC pills increase your estrogen levels right? And during your period your estrogen levels are at there lowest, (along with progesterone) and that is the time when my acne just STOPS. So it would make me think okay I should stop the BC then right. But no, I have stopped it about 3-4 months ago and everything went insane I broke out all over in cysts even on my back and neck it was horrific, so obviously BC pills are helping because my acne is NOTHING like it was before I got on it, and I've been on Yaz for over 3 years. SO WTF. If when my body's estrogen and progesterone levels are it its lowest MY ACNE STOPS then how do I apply this to everyday life. Although I do know there is a lot more hormones in play during a women's menstruation, so maybe I just need to talk to someone who knows more information on this.

Ugh I have just been trying to find out this mysterious answer to my acne for almost 10 years. And I'm one of those people who it truly effects emotionally. I am seriously to my whits end with this and all I want more than anything in the world is to be able to wake up in the morning without having to paint my face with makeup. That's probably why I hate painting, and I'm an art student, because I am forced to do it every morning. Or just to finally get rid of that sick feeling in my stomach every time I feel a new zit forming under my skin. Like I want to throw up. So if anyone has this same problem let me know or if you know why this could be happening to me? It seems to be the opposite of a lot of girls normal problem who get worse acne before and during their period

So why does my acne completely clear up and go away a week before and during my period? And come back full force when my period stops?

Thanksies,

Sara

MemberMember
(@pinknika)

Posted : 05/03/2011 12:02 am

Hi I am having the same exact problem and it is really starting to piss me off. I had a really good run of getting clearer with my regimen I was using but not so much anymore. I have been tracking my hormones for about 3 months and I'm seeing the same pattern you are, I breakout about day 7 of my period, and then around ovulation bam more breakouts, then about day 2 of my period I am completely clear no breakouts then a few days later breakout. It's a vicious cycle and I'm not exactly why it's happening now cause I used to be the exact opposite. Like you said, the lowest level of hormones are during your period, there has to be an imbalance or something. I've yet to figure it out. If anyone else could help that would be great.

MemberMember
(@luisa)

Posted : 05/03/2011 12:27 pm

I think I was thru the same kind of issue some time before, not 100% sure because I probably needed to track it for more months to be sure, now I break out before my period, but it's much better now. When I was under BC I didn't have acne at all or oily skin. It would be helpful for you to track how oily your skin is at certain times, acne might take some time to form, I think it varies from person to person, so you can't be 100% sure that the fact you are clear during your period is because of your low estrogen and/or progesterone levels. I suggest to go to a Naturopath and get your hormones tested with a saliva test, if your hormones level are normal like mine were then you are just probably more sensitive to androgens and I think in this case only antiandrogens would help which most BC pills have, I think that's the quickest and effective way to know what your imbalance is. Do you have oily skin? I don't know how I went from having no break outs during my period to having it before period but for sure it must be related to my changes in diet and things like that. My case any ways I find that when I increase my fat intake I get more oily and hence more break outs and this is specially true the week before of my period, so I'm now reducing my fat intake plus I'm taking 360 mg of saw palmetto, not sure yet if the saw palmetto is helping or not, only time will say it.

MemberMember
(@cbgbees)

Posted : 05/13/2011 6:30 pm

I know that this post was awhile ago but maybe this will help you or others. I noticed a similar trend when on BC. This could be a sign that your body is starting to develop a tolerance to your BC and that it is starting to lose its effectiveness. I noticed you said 3 years ago and some people wear off 3-5 years. of course some can stay on for 10 years (not suggested) but usually they are ignorning the warning signs that show the pill is wearing off. I would seriously consider talking to your doctor about switching over to a different hormone for BC. there are a variety of different mixtures/concentrations what have you. consider switching to a different hormone with a lower dose like ortho lo. I personally decided to just stop the bc and get my body back to my normal cycle after using it for many years. of course you will have bad acne for awhile after stopping but this is just your body's natural response trying to get back to its normal way. but in the long run it might be better for you not having to depend on a pill to judge when you will get pimples.

MemberMember
(@jfrancis)

Posted : 02/10/2013 3:28 pm

How are you doing with this lately? I also have the best skin when on my period and have been trying to figure it out for a while.

My acne was not as bad when I was a teenager, but I still struggled with it being on my back and never felt comfortable. It has been a long time dealing with acne in some form or another, 12 years now, so I understand. I hate feeling like I have to "paint" my skin. I have very fair skin and no matter how clean, put together, or pretty I look, if I have breakouts, I always feel dirty. I am 26 now, and for the last 3 years it has been horrible. Not as much on my face, but I will get it all over on my jawline, throat, and chest, and I know that it is hormonal at the root. I don't believe in topical treatments as the major assault anymore, cause I know its not my skin that is the problem. I saw that when I went on Birth Control for the first time about 1.5 yrs ago and my skin was magical. I knew that the hormones were the cause. But I don't believe in BC anymore either. The problem with BC is that whenever you introduce something synthetic to your body to do your body's job for it, the body relies on that instead of balancing itself naturally. I have had unbearable side effects from a couple different types of BC, including depression, high blood pressure, panic attacks, nausea, and inability to focus or think clearly. I have recently went off BC because I know that all I am doing is warding off the inevitable, and I feel enslaved to this pill. I am mentally preparing myself for how bad this is going to be for a while until I can get back to normal, some other way.

BUT, my purpose isn't to complain here but to hopefully offer a little hope. My focus now is to take my attention and dependence off of possible medicinal cures that will always disappoint, and place it on becoming stronger and balancing myself naturally. This struggle is actually teaching me more about myself and making me a more potent version of myself. For one, I appreciate my body's natural design much more than ever, and am embracing that design to do its job without medication. I'm sensitive to medication- fine, I'm okay with that. I'd rather have my sanity. One thing I am placing the biggest emphasis on right now is exercise. I remember when I was around 19-20 years old I joined the cross country team at my University, and I worked out HARD, every day. I mean, I think I only had Sundays off, and not even every Sunday. It shocked my body into some kind of zone that I haven't had since and I'm presently working to get back to. The acne on my back cleared. I didn't get any pimples on my face. My boobs got bigger (a usual perk of BC, without all the crap) and my period got lighter, and no more debilitating menstrual cramps. I know it did something for my hormone levels that I desperately need now. Another thing I have been slowly forced toward is clean eating, and paying high attention to nutrition. Its been gradual, but I'm becoming a person who eats healthy all the time. I always loved veggies and fruits as a kid, to the surprise of my parents. I think I was meant to carry that into adulthood. No more milk, refined sugars, white bread, nutritionally empty things, etc, and much more fruits, veggies, grains.. foods with all the good stuff. So this problem has forced me to become the person I was always meant to be. And God knew I should be always be a runner. I think being true to yourself and true to your body is always the key that makes the difference in the long run. In the mean time, while I am working on getting my hormones balanced naturally, I'm making sure I have enough vitamins and minerals to help my skin HEAL as quickly as possible, while utilizing some natural topical helps for pimples. Hot Yoga helps me sweat out impurities in my skin too, to stay ahead of the ball a little bit before a breakout occurs. Anyway, stay strong! I'm glad we are all not alone in this.

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 07/04/2014 9:09 am

I know this is an old post, but I have a similar issue -- my acne starts to get worse around my period, is at its worst around 2-3 days post menstruation and then it clears up a little during ovulation, only to start going downhill again shortly thereafter. My theory is that my skin's reaction is just delayed, i.e. it's the same hormonal drop that causes more oil production but it doesn't manifest in acne until 4-5 days later than in most people; hence I still keep getting acne even when my period is over. That's my theory, anyway. Would love to hear more specific advice from people who have had a similar experience.

MemberMember
(@kaylo3)

Posted : 07/05/2014 6:31 pm

I'm guessing one of your hormone levels must be lower and when your one your period it gets to the rigt level .