Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canadians Do It Better

Zinc seems to be the way to go?

Well I've been suffering from cystic acne for 7 years. I'm scared up and have a lot of hyper pigmentation. I have tried EVERYTHING and recently thanks to this forum have discovered that zinc seems to be the answer. When I try something it seems to work for a week max then nothing. It's like my skin immunizes its self or something. I've been using sudocrem to maintain the regular small pimples and calamine lotion to deal with the big cysts. This is more a temporary solution but I have gotten off omega 3s (Found they were doing nothing) and have started taking zinc vitamins. I'm still looking into using sulfur as a topical treatment if I can find it. So far i've been taking 50 mg for the last two days so it to early to tell but I gotta say for the time of month I am around.. my skin is a lot clearer than usual.

So my question is, what is your guy's experience with zinc? How much should you take max a day? And what other benefits does zinc provide that you have seen?

I'm curious to know if this works for others.

I use zinc in the mositurizer, Avene Clean-AC. It helps, but in my view, any solution takes more than a week to see results, sometimes months and don't let the skin to get use to the product (I use two moisturizer, not the same everyday).

You won't see the impacts of zinc in such a short time, you have to take it long enough for the levels in your body to increase. Might take a month or two to really know if its helping or not.

There is research showing the benefits of zinc for reducing inflamed acne, but I don't think it's a magic bullet, by any means.

So my question is, what is your guy's experience with zinc?

I am uncertain. There's definitely something to it, though.

How much should you take max a day?

What you're doing right now (50mg) should be safe in the long-term. I'd be wary of increasing it.

And what other benefits does zinc provide that you have seen?

Probably none.

There's often a topic cropping up with the OP megadosing on zinc and seeing good results. I think there's something to it.

Although he doesn't really encourage supplementing with zinc, the OP of this thread demonstrates that he believes zinc to be the driving force behind a "cure." Well worth a read.

i just started taking Zinc today. what i know now from information gathered here and elsewhere is that one shouldn't take no more than 100mg of Zinc day. so keep it > 100mg of Zinc.

and i don't know of any other benefits of Zinc.

my questions for anyone who can answer them is in regards to zinc inhibitors??

what foods are Zinc Inhibitors exactly>> i've read phytic acid, but what can that be found in?

More specifically, does eating old-fashioned Quaker Oats make taking Zinc less effective?

how about canned tuna and canned salmon? and lastly is pasta a zinc inhibitor?

I take 15mg twice a day (totaling 30mg a day). My redness`es heal quicker and seem to dry quicker. I wish I knew this earlier.

I've been taking 50mg of zinc for maybe a month and a week or so...It started increasing my libido ...I just recently started noticing my red marks are going away faster but i don't know if that's from zinc. I can't say it's done a whole lot for my inflamed acne maybe a little?! I wash my face gently so idk. I'm also taking Omega3, vitamin E (gave my skin a slight glow), and vitamin C. I'm going to get vitamin A soon people say it helps...who knows!

Well I've been suffering from cystic acne for 7 years. I'm scared up and have a lot of hyper pigmentation. I have tried EVERYTHING and recently thanks to this forum have discovered that zinc seems to be the answer. When I try something it seems to work for a week max then nothing. It's like my skin immunizes its self or something. I've been using sudocrem to maintain the regular small pimples and calamine lotion to deal with the big cysts. This is more a temporary solution but I have gotten off omega 3s (Found they were doing nothing) and have started taking zinc vitamins. I'm still looking into using sulfur as a topical treatment if I can find it. So far i've been taking 50 mg for the last two days so it to early to tell but I gotta say for the time of month I am around.. my skin is a lot clearer than usual.

So my question is, what is your guy's experience with zinc? How much should you take max a day? And what other benefits does zinc provide that you have seen?

ok so i also saw on this site that people use zinc..i've since started taking 100 mg a day, which isnt considered the safest thing, however my mom is a nurse and she said its really fine. the redness has reduced alot actually. I have also started making zinc masks, by crushing up one or two pills, dabbing it with a little water to make it milky, and rubbing it on my face. THIS WORKS. I leave it on for ab an hour, and by all means it hardens and is uncomfortable but its worth it. If you have scabbs from picking like i unfortunatly do, or cysts devolping..it heals it pretty quickly. Try not to do it more than 3 times a week tho

I've been taking 50mg of zinc for maybe a month and a week or so...It started increasing my libido ...I just recently started noticing my red marks are going away faster but i don't know if that's from zinc. I can't say it's done a whole lot for my inflamed acne maybe a little?! I wash my face gently so idk. I'm also taking Omega3, vitamin E (gave my skin a slight glow), and vitamin C. I'm going to get vitamin A soon people say it helps...who knows!

haha i'll def second the libido thing..who knew zinc could work that way?

ok so i also saw on this site that people use zinc..i've since started taking 100 mg a day, which isnt considered the safest thing, however my mom is a nurse and she said its really fine. the redness has reduced alot actually. I have also started making zinc masks, by crushing up one or two pills, dabbing it with a little water to make it milky, and rubbing it on my face. THIS WORKS. I leave it on for ab an hour, and by all means it hardens and is uncomfortable but its worth it. If you have scabbs from picking like i unfortunatly do, or cysts devolping..it heals it pretty quickly. Try not to do it more than 3 times a week tho

SoCogirl: The zinc mask sounds like a good idea. I'll be sure to try it out.

An update: I've been taking zinc for about a week. I must say. I have noticed the following : Acne isnt coming on as strong and when I do get one it goes away faster and the redness from them isnt so bad. The libido thing.. I believe is true. So far my plan of attack (50mg of zinc a day and calamine lotion at night to affected areas and use emu oil as a moisturizer) seems to be working. It is a bit soon to tell but hopefully I can post with an update in a month and see how it goes from there. Also another side effect is vidid dreams, i've been having them almost every night.

So to those using zinc it seems to help alot. Less pain in the cysts too I find. So Goodluck!

The only thing I do for my skin right now is taking Zinc 25mg/day and Vitamin E. It makes my skin less dry and reduces redness.

Well here's a bit of an update. I became ill for the last 3 days so I was unable to take zinc. My acne flared up with redness and I also wasn't having anymore of those vivid dreams. I started taking them again and the dreams came back and the acne seems to be surrendering again. So for those wondering, yes actually zinc does help acne and redness.