Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmurph2012

whats the best way to remove make-up?

Hey! I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to remove make-up? I know that less irritation means less acne so I'm nervous about the right way to do it. Any suggestions? I know I probably shouldn't be wearing the make-up, but I cannot stand watching peoples eyes go from my eyes to my forehead or chin where my cystic acne is. I know it's totally vain but its so embarrassing and hurtful! Thanks!

Use cetaphil instead of cosmetic remover. Clean your face several time buy put cetaphil onto cotton.

either

-find a cleanser that removes makeup (some gentle ones are DDF sensitive skin cleansing gel and Olay gentle foaming face wash. they are non drying yet remove every trace of face makeup)

-or use a makeup remover then wash ur face. For example, a cleansing oil. DHC makes two good ones. the Deep cleansing oil and the Mild touch cleansing oil. I like the mild touch better, its less drying

for eyes: i use olive oil. it works like a charm!

all suggested above......a gentle cleanser a few times will really do it....

or you could try using an oil (olive oil, jojoba, argan oil, almond, hazlenut) however just know that everyones skin is different and you COULD have a reaction to any of the three. so first do a patch test on a piece of skin for a few days to make sure your not sensitive to it.

i also mix some jojoba oil with my cerave cleanser, it feels nice :)

as X3Kell3X said,

DHC cleansing oil also good ... but i've heard it cause pimple for someone..

But I uesd it before .. It's gentle!

I'm irritated by fragrances, so olive oil works best for me. I wipe it on and off with cotton, then wipe diluted ACV to take off the excess oil. It takes a lot of cotton, but is worth it in my opinion. It get less breakouts and less dry, itchy skin from too much cleansing.

Personally, if I wear heavier eye makeup one day, I take the eyes off with an alcohol-free makeup remover on cotton pads. Don't rub! Hold the doused pads to your eyes for ten seconds. It comes off (including false lashes). Just gently wipe off the excess with the other side of the pad.

For lighter eye days and skin, I do what a lot of the others said: use a mild cleanser. No scrubbing. Pat dry.

I agree with everyone else who said a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil. But don't overuse it. My mom is in her late 50s, with Rosacea; she uses a gentle moisturizer by Olay to remove her make-up. She has the most moisturized skin I've ever seen on a woman her age. Now, that doesn't work for everyone. But whether you're young or old, you don't need anything harsh. Your make-up only rests on the surface of your skin. You don't need those chemically enriched products to remove make-up. They'll dry out your skin more, causing you to break out and break the skin.

I know how you feel--I got to the point that I couldn't go out of my house because strangers would come up and offer "help" with my acne!

I use Mary Kay's eye make up remover--I love it because it FEELS oily (not scratchy) but it isn't oil. Eye makeup comes off quick and easy. Then I use the Cetaphil antibacterial bar soap for the rest of my face. (I can't use just the regular cleansing bar, because the antibacterial one keeps my acne down so much better.)

Don't use terrycloth or a bath puff...they can make tiny cuts in your skin. I use a baby hairbrush with the soap. It exfoliates, but gently enough that it doesn't tear the skin. It also scrubs away the makeup.

If you need a moisturizer (most people do if they use the antibacterial bar) my favorite is the Neutrogena oil free sensitve skin moisturizer. It is VERY light and soaks in immediately. My skin isn't dry, but it isn't greasy either.

I do this same thing in the mornings before putting my makeup on as well. (and I add Neutrogena dry touch sunblock)

Hope you find the perfect thing for you!

I rinse with warm water first, then I just use jojoba oil, massage it into my face, put a little on a cotton ball for eye makeup, and rinse it off before I cleanse.

Occasionally I'll use olive or castor oil to remove my makeup, but normally I just wash with Dove Beauty Bar before I was my face as normal. I've never had problems with this, but I have oily skin, so if yours is dry, it might be too much.

I've never felt comfortable washing my face with makeup on. It seems like the cleanser wouldn't be as effective if it had to remove makeup AND everything else. Maybe I'm too anal. I also have to wash my hands before washing my face, to make sure they're not dirty :lol:

Some people use pond's cold cream to remove their makeup before cleansing. It's nice because it also gives you some extra moisturizing action, but if you're sensitive to fragrances, it might not be the best choice.

I use my DanKern cleanser and moisturizer. Though, be careful with the moisturizer; it stings a little (but maybe I just have a very sensitive eye area)-

Edited by Rikke

Hi, I have a question for you all, what do u think of make up removing wipes? I have been using them for years do u think they irritate the skin cos after all needs to wipe? I first take my make up off with make up removing wipes -either neutrogena or johnsons baby- then I wash my face with Uriage creme lavante cleanser for sensitive skin. am I doin right or wrong?

I really want to try cetaphil by the way! but still do i need a wipe to take excess make up off before washing with it?

I know how you feel--I got to the point that I couldn't go out of my house because strangers would come up and offer "help" with my acne!

I use Mary Kay's eye make up remover--I love it because it FEELS oily (not scratchy) but it isn't oil. Eye makeup comes off quick and easy. Then I use the Cetaphil antibacterial bar soap for the rest of my face. (I can't use just the regular cleansing bar, because the antibacterial one keeps my acne down so much better.)

Don't use terrycloth or a bath puff...they can make tiny cuts in your skin. I use a baby hairbrush with the soap. It exfoliates, but gently enough that it doesn't tear the skin. It also scrubs away the makeup.

If you need a moisturizer (most people do if they use the antibacterial bar) my favorite is the Neutrogena oil free sensitve skin moisturizer. It is VERY light and soaks in immediately. My skin isn't dry, but it isn't greasy either.

I do this same thing in the mornings before putting my makeup on as well. (and I add Neutrogena dry touch sunblock)

Hope you find the perfect thing for you!

Exactly! I hate sales people at stores offering help with acne my god... Once at hospital registry man lookin at my face asked if my appointment is at dermatologist, what a prejudice? cos it wasnt! lol

unfortunately neutrogena oil free SPF 15 moisturizer gave me many zits on first 3 days I used it, then I threw it to the bin being very very angry.