Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JessyL

My Azelaic Acid log. Pics and Updates every week!

After seeing other members fantastic results off this stuff, I decided to give it a go!

I started the treatment on 22nd Novemeber so I'm just over 2 weeks in.

So far:

This time last week my skin really cleared up (had 2 spots), i'd been eating healthy etc but then I went out last Thursday drank alot and ate rubbish and everything has gone downhill since, although it was my time of the month but spots keep popping up, eurgh :(.

But hey ho, I know ive got to be patient with this stuff but I hope to see at least a little improvement by Christmas as that will be 4 weeks!

Ive taken advice to take a pic of my face every couple of weeks to show my progress so I'm going to take some in the morning and post after my shower etc and then every 2 weeks or when i see improvement.

If anyones got any positive storys about azelaic acid, Id love to hear them.

Wish me luck.

Jess x

After seeing other members fantastic results off this stuff, I decided to give it a go!

I started the treatment on 22nd Novemeber so I'm just over 2 weeks in.

So far:

This time last week my skin really cleared up (had 2 spots), i'd been eating healthy etc but then I went out last Thursday drank alot and ate rubbish and everything has gone downhill since, although it was my time of the month but spots keep popping up, eurgh :(.

But hey ho, I know ive got to be patient with this stuff but I hope to see at least a little improvement by Christmas as that will be 4 weeks!

Ive taken advice to take a pic of my face every couple of weeks to show my progress so I'm going to take some in the morning and post after my shower etc and then every 2 weeks or when i see improvement.

If anyones got any positive storys about azelaic acid, Id love to hear them.

Wish me luck.

Jess x

yay! good luck with azelaic acid, are you useing finacea or the other brand?

are you using it for your face or more areas?

good luck!!!

remember it may sting a little at first.... as i'm sure you know

I thought I would add a positive atmos to this comment so heres a good song about acne which cheered me up lots about a year ago .... :)

I'm using Skinoren, its 20% Azelaic Acid.

I havent got spots anywhere else really, get the occasional biggy on the back of my neck but I think thats down to my hair, if ive squeezed too much out the tube I slather it on there save wasting itbut mainly its just my poor face haha.

Ive just taken some pics, ive had to do it on my phone and the camera is abit crap. My skin has looked alot calmer today, it was so much worse 2 days ago, I havent included my forehead as thats not often a problem...

But here we go..DAY 17!

Around my mouth and chin is the worst, got 3 painful ones and 2 that have just started healing...I'm not sure if this is down to the time of the month though. I havent really got a cycle as I dont really have my break off the pill but I forgot to take it for 2 days so my body must have assumed it was my break.

Update again with pics at 4 weeks! Date: 20th Decemeber.

post-139531-1291918026_thumb.jpg

post-139531-1291918041_thumb.jpg

post-139531-1291918053_thumb.jpg

post-139531-1291918026_thumb.jpg

post-139531-1291918041_thumb.jpg

post-139531-1291918053_thumb.jpg

which pill do you use?

if you have limited sucess with the 20% gel then consider switvching to finacea... I know it says 15% gel but research showed it was a better formula so more of the active ingredient reacted with the skin than the 20% cream... just so you know you have more options

also what is your current routine with skincare? when do you apply the finacea?

again good luck

Its called ovranette, Im not sure what kind it is but I doubt it makes my skin any better/worse as Ive been on it for 3 years now, and that was when I had spots on my back and chest.

I will do, ive got another appointment booked in the new year with my doctor to see if its doing anything etc so if its not ill ask for finacea and give that a go!

I'm currently using Clinique anti blemish solutions, cleansing foam, toner and then moisturiser. I apply the AA after ive used the toner...leave it for 20mins or so and then moisturise.

Thanks, i'm keeping my fingers crossed :).

Week 3

Forehead and chin are now spot free but Ive been getting little annoying ones all up my cheeks and the sides of my face!

Ive been eating healthy and cut wheat and gluten out my diet a couple of days ago so fingers crossed that'll help.

I'd kill for a bar of chocolate right now though!!

Pic update a week today! Fingers crossed.

Hey there

Good luck with the Azalaic - I am using it too, I think I'm on about week 8 or so. My skin is a lot less oily (not sure if that's down to freezing weather or the Finacea!) but for about the past few weeks not so oily. I think I am starting to see some real difference in my skin now after 8 weeks, though still getting those big horrid time of the month things :doubt:

The Finacea does seem to take quite a few months to work, but think it's worth sticking to it.

Edited by UKLady

I did have a little read of your log UKLady, but I really hope so! Into my 4th week now so this is where youre supposed to see a little improvement.

Come on Azelaic Acid!!

Ive had the worst breakout in ages :(.

I went to work this morning with x amount of spots and came home and 4 or so had reared their ugly heads! When I was awake too!!!! Cheeky buggers!

Ive got a doctors appointment for Thursday, Ive been taking Oxytetracycline for over 6weeks now and its done nothing so I'm going to demand something different to try along with Skinoren.

Ive been off dairy for nearly a month and I reckon I'm right in thinking that dairy doesnt cause me to break out and so Im just enjoying my first cup of tea in weeks. Bliss.

Stressing myself out over food etc cant be helping, I'm still going to eat healthy but not be extreme about it.

Ive had the worst breakout in ages :(.

I went to work this morning with x amount of spots and came home and 4 or so had reared their ugly heads! When I was awake too!!!! Cheeky buggers!

Ive got a doctors appointment for Thursday, Ive been taking Oxytetracycline for over 6weeks now and its done nothing so I'm going to demand something different to try along with Skinoren.

Ive been off dairy for nearly a month and I reckon I'm right in thinking that dairy doesnt cause me to break out and so Im just enjoying my first cup of tea in weeks. Bliss.

Stressing myself out over food etc cant be helping, I'm still going to eat healthy but not be extreme about it.

good call on the food, its always worth trying things out but if there is no noticable effect then you should enjoy your food :) its more important to have a healthy diet overall than obsess about nutrition. I found medication far more useful than restricting my diet but I am glad I tried both. I have cut down my dairy so now I have a mix of soya and milk depending on where I am (soya at home and milk at work).

anyway good luck with finding another antibiotic to try. My tummy does not agree with them so I envy you if it works out. Remember though, using a topical like azelaic acid or BP redices the likelyhood of resistant bacteria forming so keep going with that throughout.

5 days till the next photo day :)

remember though, it takes months to have a true effect so try not to beat yourself up over it in the meantime. Enjoy the tea :)

I'm not going to fully go back to eating cheese etc but I love my cereal, and soy milk was fine with porridge but I wasnt the same with rice crispies which are my favourite.

I also think the whole diet thing has made me lose weight but when i'm 5'8 and 8st 3lbs...I'm now 7st 12lbs its not good.

Ive been on so many antibiotics through the years I'm not sure if my body is immune. I kinda wanna try a different pill but i'm scared anything new will make me break out even more! Not sure what to dooo :(.

Anyways...little skin update Week 3 Day 3

Ive been using lemon juice as a spot treatment and drinking a glass of warm lemon water in the mornings, its helped calm my angry spots down, theres no huge ones just annoying little ones dotted around (even on my forehead gah!!)

I also used epsom salts this morning, sprinkled some in my bath and made a paste which I had on my face for about 20mins. My skin is so smooth and I think the lemon juice (and maybe the skinoren) is helping with the red marks! Heres hoping anyways...

Doctors appointment in a couple of hours...I'll update with any changes :).

Edited by JessyL

I'm not going to fully go back to eating cheese etc but I love my cereal, and soy milk was fine with porridge but I wasnt the same with rice crispies which are my favourite.

I also think the whole diet thing has made me lose weight but when i'm 5'8 and 8st 3lbs...I'm now 7st 12lbs its not good.

Ive been on so many antibiotics through the years I'm not sure if my body is immune. I kinda wanna try a different pill but i'm scared anything new will make me break out even more! Not sure what to dooo :(.

Anyways...little skin update Week 3 Day 3

Ive been using lemon juice as a spot treatment and drinking a glass of warm lemon water in the mornings, its helped calm my angry spots down, theres no huge ones just annoying little ones dotted around (even on my forehead gah!!)

I also used epsom salts this morning, sprinkled some in my bath and made a paste which I had on my face for about 20mins. My skin is so smooth and I think the lemon juice (and maybe the skinoren) is helping with the red marks! Heres hoping anyways...

Doctors appointment in a couple of hours...I'll update with any changes :).

yeah it a good idea to eat healthily and not restrict yourself too much. remember if you loose too much weight then you can end up messing with you hormones in the same way anorexics and overly athletic women do. You may end up with not enough oestrogen and too much testosterone which results in, guess what...... more acne.

you definately made the right choice.

I on the other hand AM back on the cheese..... we shall see if that was a good decision in a few weeks... :S

Just got back from the doctors and shes prescribed me another antibiotic (Lymecycline/Tetralysal) but I'm scared to go on it, my skin seems to be clearing up (touch wood) I havent had any new ones today and my others are shrinking but when ive read reviews on it ive seen that people have an initial outbreak and I really dont want that to happen!

I might finish the week of Oxytetracycline I have left and then see where I am. Ooo and shes also upped my skinoren cream so I get 2tubes when I go for my prescription instead of one as I seem to go through a tube in 2 weeks.

Yeah I thought that with the diet, plus I'm a lot more relaxed now that I can eat meals with my family and not have to buy things just for me.

Ive eaten so much today and I feel like Ive got more energy :).

Just got back from the doctors and shes prescribed me another antibiotic (Lymecycline/Tetralysal) but I'm scared to go on it, my skin seems to be clearing up (touch wood) I havent had any new ones today and my others are shrinking but when ive read reviews on it ive seen that people have an initial outbreak and I really dont want that to happen!

I might finish the week of Oxytetracycline I have left and then see where I am. Ooo and shes also upped my skinoren cream so I get 2tubes when I go for my prescription instead of one as I seem to go through a tube in 2 weeks.

Yeah I thought that with the diet, plus I'm a lot more relaxed now that I can eat meals with my family and not have to buy things just for me.

Ive eaten so much today and I feel like Ive got more energy :).

well just make sure you keep comminicating with your GP about your experiences, its ok to change your mind about these things, its your body. if you decide you want to stick with what you are already using thats ok. Just go back to the GP and keep her in the loop x

I thought i'd best update this log with the last few days activities...

So I went to my GP who gave me more antibiotics, me and my ex have finally finished for good which broke my heart and I woke up on Friday (probably my fault as ive become to insecure :( ), face worse as ever and thought what the hell am i doing?!! Id finally had enough.

Id spent that day reading logs, seeing peoples progression and results etc about accutane and convinced myself that thats what I wanted.

Rang a private derm on Friday, had my appointment today...

App was at 9.35am, I was home and sorted by 11.10am. I took my first dose of Roaccutane around midday!!

I feel as if a big huge rock has been lifted! Thankyou so much to my lovely dermatologist!!

I'm going to continue using AA until my skin dries up etc but I really just want my life back.

Thanks to crystal and uklady for your comments etc, I wish you both all the luck in the world! x

Edited by JessyL