Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
backdoor_clobber

Cracked mouth corners affecting lip line?

I took accutane for 6 months 40 mg, and the acne came back in like a month. Im currently on my 2nd course 3 months after the first. However, something has been bothering me since the first course. Cracked corners on the mouth is normal on accutane, so

I use DrDans Cortibalm, but when it cracks, there is redness around

it making it look like a cold sore on the corner of my mouth. However, sincemy mouth cracks about every week or two since i was on the medication, the redness seemss to have stayed qnd made my lip line extended around the edges. It looks like i have clown lips and makes my lip line look weird. Is there a remedy and anyone else experiencing this

i hate those! i have them now. im also on my second course. put aquaphor on them. it takes a while for them to heal but aquaphor will help

Edited by X3Kell3X

I have found that prescription Aristocort ointment works wonders on that problem. I get eczema (which accutane made sooo much worse), and my doctor prescribed it for that, but the ointment works great on cracked corners of lips, it heals it almost right away.

I know this is an old thread but i really need help! The corners of my mouth are not just cracked, they bleed, they hurt, then I get the worst looking scabs :( I can't smile or eat, it hurts so bad. It's been like that for two weeks, but the last few days it's getting worse.I think it's not just dryness but more like infection. Aquaphor doesn't help, so far only coconut oil relieves the pain and redness but I can use it only at night. Tried calling my doctor but she wasn't there, will try again but meanwhile I hope there's some over the counter medicine I can use. Please help!!!

Hi! I've had this same problem though I'm not sure mine is quite to the extent you've described... the only thing that has helped mine is just globbing Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream Ointment all over my mouth (especially in the corners!) before I go to sleep at night. It does not have the best smell and it's not the cutest look ever but it has really helped to heal those corner cracks and severely chapped lips so I think it's more than worth it. Hope this helps!

The red ring around the mouth, I had that when I was a kid, so I imagine I will probably get it on Accutane. :( BUT when I was little it was because my lips were chapped so I licked them all the time, which caused the rash all around my mouth. I got a prescription cream to heal it. So to anyone who's taking Accutane, don't lick your lips! :P

Thanks KFree and mm97! Unfortunately, in my case it's not just dryness but some kind of infection. I've been reading about it all day and I think I'll have to use anti fungal topical cream to kill the bacteria. Last night I put honey for a few hours and coconut oil for the whole night.My lips were much better in the morning but I still had the nasty yellowish scabs on the corners :( I've read about the antiseptic properties of tea tree oil, I put some on and felt immediate relief. It doesn't hurt that much anymore but the corners of my mouth started bleeding again :( It's so frustrating...