Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
carlablack

Face feels like wearing a mask, what to do?

Regimen is working very well stopping all the acne, but there's one problem: skin looks dead and thick. When i smile, i feel like i have a mask on. Let me show you some visuals:

When face is relaxed, it looks okay:

post-140988-1291796278_thumb.jpg

But when i poke my cheeks with my finger, this is how it looks:

post-140988-1291796308_thumb.jpg

What can i do to get rid of this crusty layer of skin? will it go away in time? (I've been on regimen for a few weeks)

post-140988-1291796278_thumb.jpg

post-140988-1291796308_thumb.jpg

Guest Timehealsall

mines is similar to yours, except my dead skin is probably 3-4x worse. Imo, you should get some jojoba oil, put 4-6 drops on your hands, and rub that shit off. Rub moderately hard and it should come off.

i must add, from the angles you have shown of your face, your skin looks AMAZING. hopefully the regimen keeps you clear

do you have a dermatologist? I recommend using retin-a. It exfoliates off thickened layers of dead skin. I myself have used it for red marks. but i would consult with your dermatologist first! google using retin-a to rid of thickened skin too!

Imo, you should get some jojoba oil, put 4-6 drops on your hands, and rub that shit off. Rub moderately hard and it should come off.

i must add, from the angles you have shown of your face, your skin looks AMAZING. hopefully the regimen keeps you clear

I tried jojoba oil many times, but nothing came off. When i try to peel that skin manually, the raw skin underneath is pink and sensitive :( I guess I have no other choice than leave it as it is for some time.

By the way, thank you :) that's my right cheek, i have some scars on the left one.

do you have a dermatologist? I recommend using retin-a. It exfoliates off thickened layers of dead skin. I myself have used it for red marks. but i would consult with your dermatologist first! google using retin-a to rid of thickened skin too!

I have a retin-a topical that was prescribed by a derm. It hurt a lot to use BP and that at the same time, so i stopped using both together. I will definitely wait some time for my skin to get used to BP before attempting to add retin-a.

My skin used to be worse in terms of the leathery feeling 2 days ago, then I massaged my face gently with jojoba oil in the shower, and the dead skin seemed to fall off pretty much and now my skin feel soft again. My suggestion would be mixing more jojoba oil into your moisturizer and be less harsh on your skin. I'm still using pea-sized amout of BP even I'm in my week 2 already.

What helped me was, only doing the regimen once a day (evening) and following it up with 2 pumps of cetaphil lotion. Then, in the mornings, I just cleanse and use 1 pump of lotion (no regimen).

If you feel you can stay clear from just doing the regimen once a day (a lot of people can), just that in and of itself will decrease dryness by 50%. Then simply make sure you moisturize a lot, and use a gentle cleanser which doesn't make your skin feel tight afterwards (such as cetaphil gentle cleanser).

I stopped using jojoba only a couple days ago because it wasn't really helping, and my current regimen has already eliminated almost 98% of my flakes. The "rubbery" upper layer of skin that I had before is nonexistent, and my skin is always very hydrated and very soft because of the lotion.

So, if you're up for it, you should try the once-a-day approach. Your product will last twice as long and you'll save $, and you may find that you don't need to spend money on jojoba either.