Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Packerfan785

What happened during the Niacin fad?

Was it found out to be helpful? Please don't move this to the Vitamin board, I get the most answers on here and this was where the Niacin threads were.

Niacin, oh Niacin.

Ok, for long term use, this is not where it's at. It eventually begins to stop working in terms of clearing, but as long as you are healthy, whatever acne you had before should not come back. But if you're relying wholly on Niacin, you might as well shoot yourself in the foot.

Short term? Niacin is like the Plan B pill for acne. This is NOT an excuse to screw up, but if you're put in a sticky situation where you have to eat something for politeness or whatever, or if you just plain screw up and start breaking out, take this at night to wake up with better skin. A few hours or a few days before a big event, this can be good to help reduce your acne.

Actually, short term, Niacin +Aspirin masks can do some wondrous things....

Niacin, oh Niacin.

Ok, for long term use, this is not where it's at. It eventually begins to stop working in terms of clearing, but as long as you are healthy, whatever acne you had before should not come back. But if you're relying wholly on Niacin, you might as well shoot yourself in the foot.

Short term? Niacin is like the Plan B pill for acne. This is NOT an excuse to screw up, but if you're put in a sticky situation where you have to eat something for politeness or whatever, or if you just plain screw up and start breaking out, take this at night to wake up with better skin. A few hours or a few days before a big event, this can be good to help reduce your acne.

Actually, short term, Niacin +Aspirin masks can do some wondrous things....

Thanks for the descriptive response.

Was there any discovery into why it works and why it is only a short term solution?

There are a lot of reason why Niacin works. First off, there's the obvious path of any vitamin; if you're deficient in it and you start taking it, you're bound to benefit.

Niacin also affects the body in other ways. It helps convert food to energy and affects cell permeability, meaning that nutrients can be absorbed by cells easier. It also helps normalize cholesterol levels, which helps balance hormones.

The flush might be a quick fixer as well because of the increased circulation and the toxin ridding nature of the drug.

And yes, it's a carrot ^_^ And no, I didn't eat the part my rat was biting x]

Edited by CelloIsLove

There are many ways it helps, same as with many other nutrients that play a role in inflammation, hormone balance and all kinds of bodily functions that can affect acne. But I never found any explanation for why the mega dosing produced the dramatic but short term claims of clear skin. And I don't recall any of the proponents in those lengthy threads having any legitimate explanations either.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

As a topical active for skin, niacinamide/nicotinamide/niacin/B3 has been confirmed as useful by a lot of evidence. It's main effect on acne seems to be anti-inflammatory, but it also changes the distribution of fatty acids in sebum. It does some other fun stuff with regards to the water-barrier function, which results in decreased sensitivity to irritation.

Its also dirt cheap, and has had no reported side-effects (so far)... so everyone and their mother is trying to put it into their products now. Olay, Gold Bond, Eucerin, Paula's Choice are some brands that have started using it, off the top of my head.

It even had a short-lived prescription form, Nicomide... both oral and topical. Not quite sure what happened there, but its no longer being produced.

It's incredibly heat and light stable, so its easy to work with DIY, if you want to. I mix it with water, glucosamine, and a preservative (and sometimes other fun stuff) to make an occasional toner.

Edited by greentiger87

It's incredibly heat and light stable, so its easy to work with DIY, if you want to. I mix it with water, glucosamine, and a preservative (and sometimes other fun stuff) to make an occasional toner.

I mix it with aloe vera and a little oil for my main moisturizer.

One of the best things i ever took for acne...my face cleared dramatically when i first started taking it, and it was great for the first 6-8 weeks, after that its never worked again....have no idea why but it seems i'm not alone in noticing its very short term benefits. If you've never tried it before it might be a good place to start but it wont clear acne for good sadly

For starters, everyone is different so one thing that works for one person might not work for another.

I've now been taking No-Flush Niacin 500mg (Inositol Hexanicotinate) for one and a half years. I also take Zinc 50mg (as Citrate) sometimes.

I don't know why or how it works but at the time I started taking it my mild acne finally eased up (after many years - I'm a 29 year old male). I daren't stop now to find out if my acne time was up anyway but I reckon Niacin is playing a part.

For starters, everyone is different so one thing that works for one person might not work for another.

I've now been taking No-Flush Niacin 500mg (Inositol Hexanicotinate) for one and a half years. I also take Zinc 50mg (as Citrate) sometimes.

I don't know why or how it works but at the time I started taking it my mild acne finally eased up (after many years - I'm a 29 year old male). I daren't stop now to find out if my acne time was up anyway but I reckon Niacin is playing a part.

Wow I totally understand but it would be excellent if you could take one for the team and see if you really did grow out of your acne.

Wow I totally understand but it would be excellent if you could take one for the team and see if you really did grow out of your acne.

Last year I went away for 5 days and forgot to take my Niacin with me. On the way to the airport I was like, ohhh nooo!

When I returned I had a nice big fat spot on my cheek that lingered around for a week or so, the likes of which I hadn't seen since taking Niacin.

I do still get the occasional small spot but nothing like the regular big one that often plagued me.

No taking it for the team at the moment I'm afraid. I've suffered too long with this.