Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hopeful87.

Yaz please help!

Hi...

I was prescribed Yaz birth control along with Doxcycyline (100mg 2 times a day). I've been on Yaz for 2 weeks now and Doxcycyline for 3 weeks now...

When should I expect to start seeing results? My right cheek has a glob of acne there and it's severely inflamed and painful to the touch. Inflammation has not gone down one bit. It's extremely infected and I've been using Clinique's Acne Solutions Regimen. I am not using their benzol peroxide moisturizer as it irritates my infection.

So I'm just wondering... when should I beging to see results and when should I expect to see clear skin? My doctor told me that my acne is hormonal (and stress induced) so hopefully Yaz helps.

Anyone who has been on similar medications as me? I would love any insight!

Hi there

i started yaz about four months ago and i started seeing results at three months. when i had started i was taking minocycline with my birth control (which i think might be kinda similar to the prescription your taking) but after a couple weeks i had to stop taking the minocycline because it interfered with my yaz. when i stopped taking it my acne was pretty severe and painful and my skin was very sensitive. but after three months of yaz my skin is almost completely clear(maybe one or two tiny pimples a month) and scars almost gone, yaz was the best thing i ever did for my skin even though it took a while to see results.

Hope this helps a little:)

Hi there

i started yaz about four months ago and i started seeing results at three months. when i had started i was taking minocycline with my birth control (which i think might be kinda similar to the prescription your taking) but after a couple weeks i had to stop taking the minocycline because it interfered with my yaz. when i stopped taking it my acne was pretty severe and painful and my skin was very sensitive. but after three months of yaz my skin is almost completely clear(maybe one or two tiny pimples a month) and scars almost gone, yaz was the best thing i ever did for my skin even though it took a while to see results.

Thank you! I'm worried I might not see results but I guess that impatience talking. I'm almost done with my 2nd week on yaz so I'm going to be practical and not expect a miracle. I have hundreds of acne all over my face... On my right cheek they seem to be coupling together and forming one big inflammation... which terrifies me. I'm just putting salicylic acid toner/wash and bp moisturizer as topicals and I'm leaving the rest up to YAZ. Oh and I'm also making an aspirin mask (mixed with lemon) 2 to 3 times a week. I'm excited and hoping by 3 months I'll be acne free or close enough to it!

Thanks for your input! By the way, I was prescribed minocycline as well. It caused me severe vertigo feelings and I had to stop 2 weeks in. Thus being prescribed doxycycline. What was so conflicting about minocycline to yaz if you don't mind me asking? Was it the fact that antibiotics cause birth control pills to be less effective? I did too much research lol

Have a nice night!

I took minocyclin. It took 3 months to get my face clear. And the first month was HORRIBLE - the vertigo, the headaches, the nausea. After about 6 months on it, I went off and all the acne came back.

I'm now on Tri-cyclen BCP, and am a week short of the 3 month mark. My face got worse in the first two months, and is just now starting to settle down.

I am currently following "the regimen" until the BCP kicks in completely. I also found that steaming my face twice a day really helped control the flare ups. On the down side, I noticed my red acne scars refused to fade while I was on the steaming regiment. But at least my face wasn't sore from all the inflammed ance.

Hi there

Thank you! I'm worried I might not see results but I guess that impatience talking. I'm almost done with my 2nd week on yaz so I'm going to be practical and not expect a miracle. I have hundreds of acne all over my face... On my right cheek they seem to be coupling together and forming one big inflammation... which terrifies me. I'm just putting salicylic acid toner/wash and bp moisturizer as topicals and I'm leaving the rest up to YAZ. Oh and I'm also making an aspirin mask (mixed with lemon) 2 to 3 times a week. I'm excited and hoping by 3 months I'll be acne free or close enough to it!

Thanks for your input! By the way, I was prescribed minocycline as well. It caused me severe vertigo feelings and I had to stop 2 weeks in. Thus being prescribed doxycycline. What was so conflicting about minocycline to yaz if you don't mind me asking? Was it the fact that antibiotics cause birth control pills to be less effective? I did too much research lol

Have a nice night!

It was conflicting in a bunch of ways actually, it made the birth control part of it less effective, and i had periods that lasted almost two weeks, also my acne started going from severe to worse, my face was horrrible. Before that i had taken minocycline for like two years with no side effects. But i wanted the birth control more so i quit the minocycline. im not sure why i couldnt take them together, but i did want to get off the antibiotics anyway, after taking them for so long.

Also dont be discouraged if your acne isnt totally clear by month three(but you should at least see a big difference) ive heard of people not being totally clear until like 5 or 6 months. :)

Also, do you think the aspirin masks help you? i wanted to try something out that would reduce redness because my skin gets super red during winter... i think thats what aspirin does? haha

I'm not sure if you should be taking Doxy with any type of BC pill.......if you're using it as a form of contraception (not just for your skin) use a back up plan because the doxy will make the pill less effective at preventing a pregnancy......all antibiotics do. Just an FYI. Good luck with everything!

Oh, I was taking Doxy for a few months back in the Spring......100mg twice daily.....it did NOTHING for me, made my situation worse. And I got really bad sun burns when I was on it.....being in the sun isn't good when you're on an antibiotic. I ended up getting off the pill and getting off the Doxy and things have been good for me so far.....much better than when I was on both. I remember the Doxy made me dizzy and sick to my stomach though :(

Hi there

Have a nice night!

It was conflicting in a bunch of ways actually, it made the birth control part of it less effective, and i had periods that lasted almost two weeks, also my acne started going from severe to worse, my face was horrrible. Before that i had taken minocycline for like two years with no side effects. But i wanted the birth control more so i quit the minocycline. im not sure why i couldnt take them together, but i did want to get off the antibiotics anyway, after taking them for so long.

Also dont be discouraged if your acne isnt totally clear by month three(but you should at least see a big difference) ive heard of people not being totally clear until like 5 or 6 months. :)

Also, do you think the aspirin masks help you? i wanted to try something out that would reduce redness because my skin gets super red during winter... i think thats what aspirin does? haha

I'm going to try to ride it out. I have no other choice I guess... 5 to 6 months seems centuries away but I'm going to be patient. I have hope that I'll have clear skin again. I do think the aspirin masks helped. It smoothes out the skin. Try it out for about a week and see how you feel :)