Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Vitamin D has dramatically helped - Are there others?

I began taking 7000 IU of Vitamin D last week and the results have been impressive. Vitamin D is a hormone and there are a few forum posts where individuals noticed their acne improved with vitamin D.

Those who have Celiac Disease are usually deficient in vitamin D because they have difficulty absorbing the fat soluble vitamins due to severe intestinal damage. Worsening the situation, anyone who lives north of Los Angeles often does not acquire enough sunshine to synthesize enough vitamin D.

Next, vitamin D deficiency can lead to hypothyroidism (feeling chilly is a classic symptom) or diabetes. Hypothyroidism in turn can lower stomach acid and cause leaky gut symptoms.

If I discover that many of my health problems and acne have been due to a vitamin D deficiency all these years... I am going to :wall:.

Anyone else who noticed Vitamin D improved their skin?

Edited by Dotty1

What form and brand of vitamin D are you taking? I started taking dry vitamin D-3 from Swanson about a month ago along with several other supplements. My acne has improved slightly since then but I can't say for sure if it was the vitamin D or one of the other supplements.

Total mood over-haul. I've been taking 10,000/daily. Skin has benefited from it as well.

Edited by Mirrfiak

Guest Playing_In_Traffic

Hmm...I take vitamin D, but not nearly as much-like 300 IU. Is it dangerous to take too much?...10,000 daily sounds like a LOT.

Hmm...I take vitamin D, but not nearly as much-like 300 IU. Is it dangerous to take too much?...10,000 daily sounds like a LOT.

Nope, 10,000 is safe. They make 10,000 IU pills.

You could synthesize that much in about an hour outside on a sunny day.

Edited by ben90

You could synthesize that much in about an hour outside on a sunny day.

Yes, if you live south of Los Angeles. But I've read that if you live north of Los Angeles, you can't get enough D from sunlight even if you spend an hour outside.

I'm taking vitamin D3 (non-fish liver source) by Country Life because it is gluten and soy free.

Does anyone notice if your skin is affected by the size of dosage? The more you take the better your skin?

I wonder how we know when our body is obtaining what it needs?

Edited by Dotty1

For those who have hypothyroidism, I found this tidbit of info:

"Higher vitamin D levels are associated with a lower risk of adult onset type 2 diabetes and autoimmune inflammatory responses against one's own thyroid gland, resulting in an under active thyroid. D3 deficiency may be related to a number of other autoimmune disorders in which we attack a number of our own cells and glands."

Source: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs...min-d-is-enough

Guest Playing_In_Traffic

Well, I feel learned today. Higher dosage it is for me.

As for vitamin D doses:

"The last speaker at a Harvard/Johns Hopkins Primary Care Medicine symposium in December stated that one should consider 4,000 units of vitamin D3 to be our optimal daily intake, and he mentioned that he has almost never seen anyone taking less than 10,000 units a day develop vitamin D toxicity (which would be measured by elevated calcium levels)." It warns not to try this high of a dose if you have kidney disease.

Source: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs...min-d-is-enough

300 is no where near enough. You need 2-3,000 minimum if you aren't getting it from the sun.

As far as I remember deficiencies in vitamin D levels have been associated with insulin resistance and weakened immune system. So there you have two mechanisms of how the sunshine vitamin could help with acne. I'm sure there are also others.

If you can, better to get it from sunshine as then you can't get too much of it. As far as I know your skin stops making it after you've had enough.

I began taking 7000 IU of Vitamin D last week and the results have been impressive. Vitamin D is a hormone and there are a few forum posts where individuals noticed their acne improved with vitamin D.

Those who have Celiac Disease are usually deficient in vitamin D because they have difficulty absorbing the fat soluble vitamins due to severe intestinal damage. Worsening the situation, anyone who lives north of Los Angeles often does not acquire enough sunshine to synthesize enough vitamin D.

Next, vitamin D deficiency can lead to hypothyroidism (feeling chilly is a classic symptom) or diabetes. Hypothyroidism in turn can lower stomach acid and cause leaky gut symptoms.

If I discover that many of my health problems and acne have been due to a vitamin D deficiency all these years... I am going to :wall:.

Just reading this, you are totally right about the gluten thing. I had hypochlorydria (low stomach hcl) for a long time, after going very low carb and taking betaine hcl, I am sorted.

Do still suffer from chills, acne, fingers go completely white and numb, however. So I think the removal of gluten is what I need to stick with.

Anyway, thanks for reinforcing that, I have been gluten free since I read your last message. Are you still suffering from acne yourself?

Just reading this, you are totally right about the gluten thing. I had hypochlorydria (low stomach hcl) for a long time, after going very low carb and taking betaine hcl, I am sorted.

Do still suffer from chills, acne, fingers go completely white and numb, however. So I think the removal of gluten is what I need to stick with.

Anyway, thanks for reinforcing that, I have been gluten free since I read your last message. Are you still suffering from acne yourself?

Yes, I still have acne but Vitamin D has helped a lot. I also noticed an improvement with Selenium, Zinc and vitamin A. Celiac Disease prevents the absorption of these nutrients in many people so I am not surprised that they are helping me.

Buggle, those who are gluten sensitive are commonly found to be very sensitive to soy and casein (dairy). A soy and casein test is offered by EnteroLab for $99 each. Good luck!!

Edited by Dotty1